Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Rampage' Jackson on Roy Jones Jr. fight: 'Tito f---ed all that up'

Default 'Rampage' Jackson on Roy Jones Jr. fight: 'Tito f---ed all that up'

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ed-all-that-up

"When Tito signed, I went, 'Damn – there goes my Roy Jones fight,'" Jackson said on a Monday call with media members in support of the fight. "But I think that the Jones fight will come around eventually after Tito and I fight. If everything goes according to plan, I'm sure the fight is going to to happen because Jones is very interested in fighting me."

Ortiz, whose most recent cage appearance came at UFC 148 in July 2012, joked, "I didn't mean to," when asked about butting Jones out of the way.

"I come here and I fight someone who no one knows, and all of a sudden, people are like, 'Tito's getting a gimme fight,'" Ortiz said. "I don't want no gimme fight. My whole career, I've always fought the top five in the world. I've always tried to be shut down, and sometimes I shut those people up, or I walk away with a close loss. But I always came out and put on a show.

"When I came out here, I didn't want an easy fight."

Ortiz, 38, came out of retirement to sign a deal with Bellator. Bellator also hopes to put its lightweight champion, Michael Chandler, on the pay-per-view card, as well as other titleholders in its ranks.

Prior to being targeted for Jackson, Jones was linked to a boxing match with UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva, who repeatedly expressed a desire to tussle with the former multi-division champ. But Silva's loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 162 led to him accepting a rematch with the new champ in December.

Jones was present at the Bellator 97 this past week event in which Ortiz was announced as Jackson's opponent. But Jones did not speak publicly.

Jackson, 35, said he's still as interested as ever in testing his hands against the 44-year-old Jones, who hasn't boxed since June 2012.

"When I was boisterous about leaving the UFC and wanted to box, I was being real," Jackson said. "I heard (Kevin) 'Kimbo Slice' (Ferguson) is out there doing some boxing and doing good. I was like, 'I'll box him.' I just wanted to show because I've done everything else. I've done wrestling, I've done jiu-jitsu tournaments at the beginning of my career, I've done K-1, I've done MMA. Boxing was the only thing I haven't done.

"So I was like, 'I'm going to try this before I retire.' Before Bellator came around, I was thinking about retiring because I didn't want to fight anymore in the company I was with. Boxing was the only thing I could do because there was no other (MMA) company out there I was thinking about until I met Bjorn. It just played out the way it did – and when Tito came over, he f---ed all that up."

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said Jackson vs. Ortiz, which is expected to take place at Bellator 106, will be contested over three rounds.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I read from Meltzer that Tito just had reconstructive knee surgery to put in a replacement ACL 12 weeks ago. Yikes.

How much will this Ppv cost? I am looking forward to this and I think page wins via tko.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    How much will this Ppv cost? I am looking forward to this and I think page wins via tko.
    They said it'll be around $30-$45 depending on where you live.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

Is there a guess as to how many buys they get? I get they have two experienced former champions who have drawn strong numbers. But if this falls below their expectations in a significant way, do they continue attempting to put shows on pay per view?

I'd like to see them do well, especially without needing former UFC fighters to bolster the card. But I don't know if they will.

Who will go for the first figure four leg lock? Any chance we'll see a run-in from King Mo or Kurt Angle?

This should be a fun fight. I'd really like to see how someone like Anderson or even Rampage would fair against RJJ in a boxing match though; even more than Tito v Rampage.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Can we get Eddie Alvarez on that PPV too?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Can we get Eddie Alvarez on that PPV too?
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/8/6/...-with-bellator

the roy jones jr fight might not have even gotten sanctioned honestly because of the huge weight difference.

Thread Information