Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bisping suggests 'hesitant' Lyoto Machida 'needs to change his style'

1. Default Michael Bisping suggests 'hesitant' Lyoto Machida 'needs to change his style'

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/5/459...to-machida-mma

It's high time for a mixed martial arts (MMA) makeover for Lyoto Machida if he wants to start winning fights again.

That's according to Michael Bisping, who suggested "The Dragon" consider switching things up and be more aggressive inside the Octagon rather than "hanging around" and letting his opponents kickstart the action. That is, of course, if he wants to see the winner's circle again.

At UFC 163 this past weekend (Aug. 3, 2013), Machida came up short on the judges scorecards, losing a unanimous decision to Phil Davis, a result that many felt should have gone in favor of the Brazilian's (watch highlights here).

But, as company president Danas White reiterated after the bout, "that's what happens when you leave it up to the judges." And according to Bisping, the blame is solely on Machida's shoulders because he lacks "killer instinct" and aggression, claiming his "reserved" style just doesn't cut it anymore.

His words on FUEL TV's UFC 163 post-fight show:

"Lyoto didn't do enough in this fight. He was hanging around and letting Davis do his work. Davis impressed me with his striking. Machida wasn't overly active. Maybe he needs to change his style. I didn't see the killer instinct. He needs to be more aggressive. He's too reserved and too hesitant."
    Machida has often been criticized for his elusiveness and preference to counter strike as opposed to pressing the action. That strategy, however, has proven successful for "The Dragon" in the past, leading him to a UFC Light Heavyweight championship back in 2009.

It's the same patient gameplan that helped him pick up wins over Mauricio Rua, Thiago Silva, Rashad Evans, Randy Couture and Dan Henderson. But, over his last seven fights, Machida has won just four of them, with his latest loss to "Mr. Wonderful" sending him to the back of a very crowded 205-pound contender line.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

That's really always been my main criticism of him too. I get that he's trying to be "elusive" and everything but when he spends so much of the fight back peddling it makes it pretty boring and it makes it look like his opponent's aggression is dictating the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Pernell Whitaker of MMA.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I think he needs to mix things up and start being on the attack a little bit more. Cruz has a similar style to him but the difference is Cruz be the agressor a lot more often. Come in, hit you 3-4 times and get out. I think Machida could start doing the same thing.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

He had a nice flurry in the first round that I was surprised he didn't attempt again. I thought those were more common in his earlier fights.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    He had a nice flurry in the first round that I was surprised he didn't attempt again. I thought those were more common in his earlier fights.
    I think they were think maybe the Shogun ko maybe made him a little more gun shy.

He is a diverse strike and his combonations can end fights,but he is very hesitant to open up and let his punches, kicks and knees fly. If that knee landed in the first round the fight would of been over, and he should of tried to attack more. I didnt see his patent flying knee either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

well this is like the pot calling the kettle black but its definetly true

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Pernell Whitaker of MMA.
    Which reminds me, i'm still pissed about the judging for the De La Hoya fight lol

10. Default

wait a second..

there, thats better.

Thread Information