+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out the new 'downed opponent' rule as written by Keith Kizer himself

1. Default Check out the new 'downed opponent' rule as written by Keith Kizer himself

http://middleeasy.com/fighting/item/...-kizer-himself

Gone are the days of touching the mat when you're pinned against the cage to prevent getting your skull smashed in from a knee. Herb Dean knew you were playing the game, and now Keith Kizer agrees that your days of stalling are over. I'm writing this as if I'm addressing some unnamed MMA fighter, but in reality I'm talking to you, reader. I'm tired of your hand placed craftily on the MMA canvas of life. Be bold, and stop going through your life like some timid...some animal that's timid. I don't know what is, but just don't be like it.

So the rumor we told you about this time last week is finally ready to be implemented, and Las Vegas Athletic Commission head wants to let you know about it in this official document written by the man himself.

2013 ABC Convention
    "Touching Down" in MMA
    Suggested Referee Rules Meeting Language

Kicking or Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent is considered a foul. A grounded opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. For example, a fighter with one shin or one finger down is to be considered a grounded fighter.

One established deviation from this rule is that the referee may determine a fighter would be a grounded fighter but is not solely because the ring ropes or cage fence has held fighter from the ground, the referee can instruct the combatants that he is treating the fighter held up solely by the cage or ropes as a grounded fighter.

Recently, some concern has arose over fighters who are taking punishment (usually thru knees) while both fighters are standing. The fighter then begins to bring his or her finger(s) down and up again, and then down again as a strike is being delivered. In certain situations, it appears as if the "touching down" fighter is attempting to draw a foul and benefit from the foul.

The ABC recommends that assigned referees discuss the following additional deviation at future rule meetings:

Referees should instruct the fighters that they may still be considered a standing fighter even if they have a finger or portion of the hand (or entire hand) on the canvas. In the discretion of the referee, a fighter who has a finger or hand on the canvas may still be legally struck in the head with knees and kicks. The referee may decide that the downed fighter is placing his or her finger or hand down without doing so for an offensive or countering maneuver in an attempt to advance or improve their position. The referee may decide that the downed fighter is instead simply trying to draw a foul. If the referee decides that the fighter is "touching down" simply to benefit from a foul, the referee may consider that fighter a standing fighter and decide that no foul has occurred.

Additionally, a referee may penalize, via warning or point deduction, the offending fighter for timidity.
    --Written by Kizer, Lembo and Profato
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Love it

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

YES!!!
    A step in the right direction.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Sorry Rich Franklin, your tactics have been figured out.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

This will lead to controversial discretionary calls by the refs.

The rule should be written in black and white, a knee or an elbow to be considered downed, the refs struggle enough already, we don't need to give them more to fuck up

What does this do to Jon Jones crawling across the ring to open a fight? That move always annoyed me.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    What does this do to Jon Jones crawling across the ring to open a fight? That move always annoyed me.
    Should mean he can get kicked in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Should mean he can get kicked in the head.
    yea but if someone tried id suspect he would put his knee down quickly

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    yea but if someone tried id suspect he would put his knee down quickly
    You're right. But I wish the rule would be applied the same way for crawling. Perhaps anytime someone is down by choice they are fair game! Cause I think most would agree that it really sucks when someone pulls guard by flopping on their back and laying there. But, that's just more stuff that's discretionary and will leave things sooo debateable. Guess we'll just go back to Pride rules are UFC 1 rules!
    Last edited by hass; 08-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information