Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State stops controversial Florida fight

Default State stops controversial Florida fight

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...Florida-fight/

5', 140 lbs., and 23 years old, Garrett “G-Money” Holeve has been a dedicated student at ATT since 2010, with a positive demeanor - by all accounts a great man to have in the gym. Given the dozens of top pros that fight out of ATT, his two exhibition fights would not be remarkable, except that Holeve has Down syndrome.

Approximately one in 700 babies born in the US each year has Down syndrome, making it the most common chromosome abnormality in humans. Most children with Down syndrome have mild to moderate impairments in physical growth, and mild to moderate intellectual impairment.

Everyone who steps into the cage has to overcome a lot - fear and doubt, the rigors of training, and more. In Garret's case, a lot more.

"He didn't like being the kid with Down Syndrome, the kid people felt sorry for," says UFC Hall of Famer Stephan Bonnar in a March interview. "Through martial arts he found himself. He found a passion and a purpose in his life."

As Garrett says, "fighting changed me." Among the changes was Garrett accepting that he did in fact have Down Syndrome, something he resisted so much that as a child, he didn't want to be known as Garrett, "because Garrett has Down Syndrome."

Garrett now pays it forward, teaching a student in the gym who himself has Down Syndrome.

“Them look up to me as a hero, or as a super man,” said Garrett. “Because them need a super hero.”

We all need heros, and Garrett is one of them. He had planned his first non-exhibition bout, against David Steffin, 28, who has cerebral palsy.

However, it was shut down by the State of Florida, just minutes before the fight.

2. Default

Bullshit. ESPN did a great documentary about this kid. Let him fight man.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Bullshit. ESPN did a great documentary about this kid. Let him fight man.
    Kind of sad it was stopped literally minutes before the fight was going to start. Did no one from the state know this fight was going down until the event actually started? If they were not going to let this fight happen, stop it immediately, dont let the fighters spend months mentally and physically prepare for this fight only to shut it down while they are in their dressing rooms.

4. Default

And to me, this is much more than "just a fight" or however the commission sees it. I don't know about Garrett's opponent, but seeing the ESPN piece on him and knowing how much it means to him as a individual, to separate himself from what others sees as a disability, is just sad. I can only imagine how it affected him and yet again reaffirmed to him that his disability is an issue, when it shouldn't be.

My nephew, or more specifically my wife's nephew has cerebral palsy. And to see him and be around him all the time, seeing a smile on his face 95% of the time, and just loving life, knowing he would want more, and to be in control of his life, and knowing there are others out there aiming to take that way, it just makes me sad.

I'm rambling a bit but it hits closer to home for me.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Kind of sad it was stopped literally minutes before the fight was going to start. Did no one from the state know this fight was going down until the event actually started? If they were not going to let this fight happen, stop it immediately, dont let the fighters spend months mentally and physically prepare for this fight only to shut it down while they are in their dressing rooms.
    Our state government is pretty oblivious to everything. If they didn't see it on ESPN, I'd doubt they would have known about it at all. Half those fuckers don't even live in Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

I say let him fight if he's physically able.

However, they could have matched him or the person with CP up with people who were not battling "disabilities."

Matching two people with limitations just makes it look like they were either not trying or trying too hard.

INSENSITIVE LINK FOLLOWS, PLEASE IGNORE IF EASILY OFFENDED-

http://0.tqn.com/d/animatedtv/1/5/j/...eFight_400.jpg
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Just another instance of a person not knowing what's best for them, only the government can tell us what is best for us. All the while the morons cry for "Moar gubment, please!"

But but but.....state's rights, state's rights.....us PUBLICANS think the state needs more rights!!!! States know what's best for its citizens!
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I can't believe no one commented on him being banned for having "retard strength"...

Thread Information