Thread: Report: Rousimar Palhares targets UFC Welterweight debut 'later this year'

Default Report: Rousimar Palhares targets UFC Welterweight debut 'later this year'

Report: Rousimar Palhares targets UFC Welterweight debut 'later this year'
    By Thomas Myers  @TommyMyers on Aug 6 2013, 11:30p

Muscle-bound Middleweight tree stump, Rousimar Palhares, has decided to join the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) "Biggest Losers" club, shedding 15 pounds with the hopes that he will find better success in the Welterweight division.

Palhares, according to Ariel Helwani on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight," even plans to make his 170-pound Octagon debut "later this year."

The Brazilian teased the move (details here) shortly after he was slapped with a nine-month suspension for elevated testosterone levels following his knockout loss to Hector Lombard at UFC on FX 6, which took place at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre in Australia on Dec. 14, 2012. Prior to the setback, "Toquinho" got served by Alan Belcher as he was attempting one of his crushing leg-lock submissions at UFC on Fox 3 in May 2012.

The Brazilian jiu-jitsu stylist, much like the aforementioned Lombard -- who will also make the dip in his next appearance -- apparently completed his "integrated work of nutrition, fitness, supplementation and orthomolecular medicine" successfully to arrive at the decision.

It's important to note that under the terms of his suspension, which would be satisfied sometime next month, Palhares would have to first "pass a drug test upon completion of the suspension before receiving clearance to compete again."

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/6/459...debut-2013-ufc
    Hmmmm, I'll be interested to see how this pans out.

Must be off the vitamins.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Must be off the vitamins.
    Most likely easier to drop a weight class when you are

Say what you want about the guy, he's a hell of a competitor. I'm interested in seeing him at WW.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Despite being a total nutbag and dirty as shit, I've always had a soft spot for Toquinho. Not sure I see him breaking the top 10 with this era of heavy hitters, but definitely some very fun fights at WW.

I have no idea whether he trains with Maia or not but I would love to see that fight! I know they're not even closely ranked and it makes no sense but man I'd love to see that!
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Despite being a total nutbag and dirty as shit, I've always had a soft spot for Toquinho. Not sure I see him breaking the top 10 with this era of heavy hitters, but definitely some very fun fights at WW.
    Is it because he is "simple"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Is it because he is "simple"?
    We love our own :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Say what you want about the guy, he's a hell of a competitor. I'm interested in seeing him at WW.
    Just not one with a sense of integrity and fair play.

I never believed this guys 'natural' build and the total arrogance that goes with him just turns all opinions I'd have on him. He smells of everything we do not need in public viewing for the growth of the sport.

Thread Information