Thread: Anthony Pettis denies 'stupid' claim he faked injury to avoid 163 fight against Aldo

Default Anthony Pettis denies 'stupid' claim he faked injury to avoid 163 fight against Aldo

A tweak to Pettis' knee cost him a shot at UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo this past weekend (Aug. 3, 2013) but "Showtime" had recovered enough to campaign for and receive a lightweight title shot against champion Ben Henderson at UFC 164 later this month (Aug. 31) in his hometown of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

When Pettis initially replaced T.J. Grant as number one contender, the conspiracy theories started flying and you can count Aldo's head coach Andre Pederneiras as a firm believer in them. He was a guest on Brazilian radio show "Mundo da Luta" on Sunday and was quoted saying he believed Pettis' injury never happened.

"In my opinion, [Pettis] never got hurt. He realized he'd never make weight (at 145 pounds), that it wasn't as easy as he thought it would be."

MMA Fighting's Guilherme Cruz spoke to Pettis' camp through his jiu-jitsu coach Diego Moraes and was able to secure a harsh response from the former WEC Lightweight Champion.

"It's stupid of him to say something like that. It was a dream fight for me. My injury was real and the UFC took me from the fight. I hope to win my next fight and fight Aldo at 145 pounds."
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/5/459...-avoid-ufc-163
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

With the way Aldo fought, I think Pettis would have had his way with him. But who knows, Aldo seems to fight down to his competition.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    With the way Aldo fought, I think Pettis would have had his way with him. But who knows, Aldo seems to fight down to his competition.
    Ya don't think Aldo breaking his foot in the first 3:00 of the fight might have had something to do with his performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Ohhhhh because he isn't a wrestler. I get it.

I admit that I really want to see Aldo VS Pettis even though Pettis doesn't deserve to just get the fight handed to him.

It would be a great fight though. I want to see someone challenge Aldo in the striking department.
    "They're all dead. They just don't know it yet."

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/8/460...rson-fight-ufc
    Jose Aldo coach will apologize to Anthony Pettis if he defeats Ben Henderson at UFC 164 then fights 'Junior'
    Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting has the word:

"Andre Pederneiras, Aldo's coach, said if Anthony Pettis beats Ben Henderson, then vacates his belt and drops down and fights Jose Aldo, he will apologize for saying that. I guess he wants the winner of Anthony Pettis and Ben Henderson. Especially if Pettis wins and drops to 145. I believe he truly thinks Anthony Pettis faked the injury and he wasn't pleased with that. So, he wants that fight. I guess that's what happening with him and Anthony Pettis."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Screw that. If Pettis beats Ben Henderson, I'd rather see Aldo move up than Pettis moving down. If Pettis becomes champ, he should claim his division before moving down/up. Aldo has pretty much claimed his division (with the exception of Lamas); it makes more sense for him to move up and go after the LW title.

Thread Information