Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC champ Ronda Rousey says fighting career could be over in two years

I think ZUFFA should try to make as much money off of Rousey while they can.

IMO she's like a supernova, she's shining extremely bright now against her current level of competition, she's extremely marketable and mainstream, but once McMann gets her shot and beats her handedly, I think acting and Hollywood are going to look a helluva lot more promising than training three times a day. I think they'll look to prolong their golden goose and give Zigano the next shot at Rousey instead of McMann and just looking at the WMMA talents that are currently developing/evolving and potential future challengers, I don't think Rousey will be able to keep up. If Cyborg were ever able to make 135, I think Rousey gets dusted quite neatly as well. Not to devalue Rousey's talents here, but I think she gets into deep waters with several fighters going forward.

As it stands, Tate's chances look a little brighter now that Rousey looks to be shooting Expendables 3 prior to their fight, spreading Rousey thinner before the big fight.

The UFC women's division is a joke. It has one weight class which it can't even come close to filling, and it was only created for Rousey. I am not insulting the women that are in it, or their skills, just the depth of the division and the intentions of the UFC. It's like trying to start a baseball team because you found a third baseman you really like, but the only players you could find were the third baseman, a relief pitcher, and a backup catcher. I give the division 1 year after Rousey leaves it, and even that year will be due to Dana being too proud to admit that it has failed.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    The UFC women's division is a joke. It has one weight class which it can't even come close to filling, and it was only created for Rousey. I am not insulting the women that are in it, or their skills, just the depth of the division and the intentions of the UFC. It's like trying to start a baseball team because you found a third baseman you really like, but the only players you could find were the third baseman, a relief pitcher, and a backup catcher. I give the division 1 year after Rousey leaves it, and even that year will be due to Dana being too proud to admit that it has failed.
    That's how FW and BW was when they first started up. Same with Fly. Same with W 135.

Nothing is established in the beginning. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I like women's mma, I just don't like Ronda Rousey's sense of entitlement.

And, IMO, she's good looking FOR A FIGHTER, but certainly not Hollywood hot.

Gina's WAYYYY hotter than her and even she looks kind of meh around celeb hotness.
    Ha you noticed that too? It didnt hit me until I saw Fast and the Furious 6
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Athletes don't have to live up to superficial surgery land expectations. Big surprise.

Well look at it this way. Gina Carano just did that fast 6 or whatever they are on.. I bet she made more money in that not doing much. Then she did in 5 years of fighting.. And girls don't make shit. Would I rather spit out a few lines, bullshit with Hollywood actors and make close to a mil or more for a movie or risk bodily harm to myself and permanent damage to my body for 10k or less?? I'm taking sipping lates in a trailer all day.

Snigs, you are right, but it wasn't as bad (except 125) and the talent was at least actively competing, but not yet signed. It seems to me that enough talent be not exist, but I could be wrong. Do you think that there is enough actively competing, highly skilled women at that weight for the UFC to have a division that is comparable to it's other divisions?
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicKnight3X View Post
    Well look at it this way. Gina Carano just did that fast 6 or whatever they are on.. I bet she made more money in that not doing much. Then she did in 5 years of fighting.. And girls don't make shit. Would I rather spit out a few lines, bullshit with Hollywood actors and make close to a mil or more for a movie or risk bodily harm to myself and permanent damage to my body for 10k or less?? I'm taking sipping lates in a trailer all day.
    Carano later in her career and Rousey made nowhere near 10k for MMA. You're nuts.

Rousey and Carano would make more money in MMA. That is a fact. It is also a fact that they would have to train less and do less work.

Soderberg's experiment with Haywire was barely successful and was the litmus test for the WMMA transition. Carano had far more fans than Rousey currently does.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Snigs, you are right, but it wasn't as bad (except 125) and the talent was at least actively competing, but not yet signed. It seems to me that enough talent be not exist, but I could be wrong. Do you think that there is enough actively competing, highly skilled women at that weight for the UFC to have a division that is comparable to it's other divisions?
    Yes, I do. I think that there is enough talent in the Flyweight class in the world as well to fill out the roster in that division. The problem is that the UFC has to actively recruit that talent the same way it has with other divisions.... cherry picking talent from other promotions, which Invicta has allowed up to this point.

The next step is to get at least 5 stars from the TUF show to add to the division with the additional signing of Tara LaRosa. Then, the UFC must actively recruit WMMA talent from Asia like Rin Nakai.

People are too focused on Rousey/Cyborg and have not taken the time to take a look at the other talent in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I like women's mma, I just don't like Ronda Rousey's sense of entitlement.

And, IMO, she's good looking FOR A FIGHTER, but certainly not Hollywood hot.

Gina's WAYYYY hotter than her and even she looks kind of meh around celeb hotness.
    I've never found rousey even remotely hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Both will have something in common.... shitty acting skills.
    I thought Haywire was pretty good, all things considered. It's an action movie. She's as good an actor than Stallone, Chuck Norris or Arnold, but that's setting the bar low. I thought it blew away anything that any other MMA fighter has done, including the A Team.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information