Thread: Georges St-Pierre paying for UFC 167 VADA testing out of own purse

Default Georges St-Pierre paying for UFC 167 VADA testing out of own purse

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/11...t-of-own-purse

"I'm ready to pay [for our testing] myself, because I'm the champion," St-Pierre said. "All from my purse, I paid for the tests because I'm the champion. That's why I'm ready, I'm ready to do it. That's a point I want to make.

"I wouldn't mind doing it for the rest of my career," he continued. "Of course it sucks. They can come anytime, you have to give your address and then [VADA representatives come] in the morning. It sucks. But it's my sport and it could be an inconvenience of my job, I'll do it no problem."

Ask St-Pierre if Diaz's remarks led him down this current path, and the 32-year-old champ will flatly deny it. He insists Diaz's chatter was always just background noise, and he paid it no mind.

Nonetheless, Hendricks has already been far more measured in his criticism of St-Pierre than the Canadian's former opponent, and it's clear St-Pierre appreciates it.

"The talking never hurt nobody. It comes in one ear and goes out the other," St-Pierre concluded. "I don't care. I don't mind. Johny doesn't need to speak. I know he's a gentleman, and he's a great, skillful athlete. His performances speak for themselves.

"A lot of people accuse me [of taking PEDs]. For me, when they accuse me, I take that as a compliment. I believe they compliment my athleticism. I want to prove also that it's possible to be champion without using drugs, and I know VADA is the most professional, it is the best for that."

Georges St-Pierre Knows Johny Hendricks Presents Challenges, but That’s Nothing New
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/georges-st-...ts-nothing-new

“He’s very well rounded, got knockout power, great, accomplished wrestler,” St-Pierre told MMAWeekly.com recently when assessing Hendricks. “He’s very skilled. He’s very athletic too.

“I’m very confident with my skill and I know he’s very confident with his. We’re going to solve our differences in the Octagon.”

Along with his power – Hendricks has knocked out the likes of Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann during his current six-fight winning streak – Hendricks brings the added element of being a left-handed fighter.

It’s a unique element, but as St-Pierre is keen to point out, there are always challenges to overcome no matter whom the opponent is.

“(Hendricks being a southpaw is) a problem, like any other problem he brings,” said St-Pierre, adding his training will prepare him for that element of Hendricks’ game. “I’m gonna spar with a lot of professional boxers that are southpaw.”

St-Pierre’s approach to the fight and his training is as methodical as it always is, regardless of the opposition.

Every time he nears a fight, his opponent brings an element that St-Pierre hasn’t faced before, but each time he manages to overcome his opposition.

Many people point to Chris Weidman’s recent upset of Anderson Silva, however, and say, “Hendricks could be the one. Hendricks could be St-Pierre’s Chris Weidman.”
    “I had a lot of big fight in my career. Every fight I had something special that came up during the leading up to the fight. ‘He’s the most disrespectful guy. He’s the perfect match-up to beat you.’ It’s always something special,” said the champ.

“And for (the Hendricks) fight, maybe that’s the special thing that is coming up is that style match-up. Maybe people think he’s the perfect style match-up to beat me.

“I don’t think so. I think I’m going to win the fight and I’m going to beat him. There’s only one way to find out.”
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 08-12-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Dana White on GSP paying for VADA testing: 'It's a little weird'
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/8/15...ierre-mma-news

When White was asked about it at a charity event on Wednesday, his response was kind of odd (via MMA Junkie):

"It's a little weird."

He expanded on that comment a little bit later on:

"We're regulated by the government – the government comes in and does all the drug testing. Georges St-Pierre is one of those guys that people have been talking about (being on steroids). B.J. Penn said he was on steroids. Somebody else said he was on steroids. And he said, 'I'll pay for my own VADA testing,' which isn't cheap and it's a pain in the ass.

"He doesn't have to do it, but I guess he wants to do it. What are you gonna do? Knock yourself out, Georges. Good luck."

GSP owns a purse.

Wonder what it's made out of?

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    GSP owns a purse.

Wonder what it's made out of?
    Millions of dollars. GSP only makes one once per year. Limited edition.

Hendricks dethrones GSP with an overhand left.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Hendricks gets taken down by GSP after attempting an overhand left.
    fixed it for you

7. Default

With any sport follow the rules and it's better for everyone. Relax the rules and people go overboard and willing to cheat to win. I see GSP paying for this and winning dominately paying off in spades from sponsers.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    With any sport follow the rules and it's better for everyone. Relax the rules and people go overboard and willing to cheat to win. I see GSP paying for this and winning dominately paying off in spades from sponsers.
    Now, I'm a big fan of GSP, have been since his TKO days, and although I'd love to see him finish more, I have to ask all the Hendricks fans out there, how is this fight any different that the two fights GSP had with Kos? Both Kos and Hendricks have a big overhand punch but not much more when it comes to striking, and both have very good wrestling. GSP was easily able to nullify the striking and wrestling of Kos twice, so I honestly don't see what Hendricks has to offer that Kos didn't.

This is a serious question why is it so many people think this will play out differently than GSP vs Kos I/II?

Thread Information