Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Alvarez and Bellator mend fences, book Michael Chandler rematch for PPV

Default Eddie Alvarez and Bellator mend fences, book Michael Chandler rematch for PPV

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ematch-for-ppv

"I couldn't be happier right now," Alvarez told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We've been trying to settle since the very beginning of this. We were able to compromise and put it behind us. I'm happy to put my name on the dotted line and move forward with my career.

Alvarez (24-3 MMA, 9-1 BMMA) and Chandler (12-0 MMA, 9-0 BMMA) first met in November 2011, with Chandler taking Alvarez's belt by scoring a fourth-round submission win in a matchup that earned fight of the year recognition.

Alvarez rallied back with wins over Shinya Aoki and Patricky "Pitbull" Freire before electing to test the waters of free agency. When the sport's largest promotion, the UFC, offered Alvarez a contract, Bellator officials said they matched the deal word-for-word, though the two promotions' differing business plans left some question as to whether a true match was even possible, especially with Bellator promising to place Alvarez in PPV events despite having never promoted a PPV show.

Both Alvarez and Bellator filed lawsuits, and the sometimes-bitter and public feud looked to have no end in sight.

Now that's all changed, though Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney said the exact nature of the details will remain private.

"Terms of the settlement have to remain confidential," he said. "We kept a constant line of communication going, and eventually in these types of situations, you find a common ground. We were able to find a common ground.

"Honestly, this is a business, and Ed's a world-class fighter. I'm in the business of putting on world-class fights, so that's honestly the story."

Alvarez, who's ranked No. 12 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings (Chandler is No. 3), hasn't fought since October. However, he said he's remained sharp by helping training partners such as Frankie Edgar and Edson Barboza prepare for their UFC bouts and is anxious to avenge the Chandler loss.

"I wasn't perfect," Alvarez said. "I wasn't focused enough that night, and I lost. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. I'm OK with it, but I'm ready to correct the mistakes.

"I'm ready to be perfect, and I'm ready to be in there and put on a fight and get my hand raised."

While the relationship between Alvarez and Bellator officials wasn't necessarily pleasant during negotiations, the fighter insists there won't be any lingering issues and motivation won't be an issue.

"I'm not big on problems," Alvarez said. "I normally just deal with solutions. In business, there are problems just like a relationship. There's good, there's bad, and there's ugly. You need to be able to compromise and not deal with problems."

Rebney agreed with that sentiment.

"When you run a business like this one, there are going to be situations that occur where you have conflict," he said. "When you've got 175-plus fighters under contract, when you've got large-scale relationships with nearly 130 television networks around the world, when you've got sponsors, you've got licensees and you've got all these other people in place, it's just the nature of this industry and many others. You're going to run into conflict.

"I think that when you have a position and you believe that position to be right, you stick to it. But at the same time, like I've said from the beginning of this, we were never taking a position where we weren't willing to settle, and we were always looking for a way to put that rematch on. We've done it."

In addition to Jackson vs. Ortiz and Chandler vs. Alvarez, Rebney promised there will be other star-studded additions to the Nov. 2 lineup. Alvarez hopes his supporters tune in.

"I want to thank my fans for all the support they've given me throughout this whole thing," he said. "I hope that everyone's happy that Bellator and I were able to reach an agreement and move forward and get a fight that fans want to see. I hope everyone is as excited as I am."

Alvarez really had no choice, sucks but unless he wanted to sit out another year this is the best choice for him

Even though Bellator may have been his second choice, Eddie is going to be payed handsomely for his services and be showcased more so than he would have in the UFC. He's set himself and his family up nicely going forward and for that I'm happy for him.

So if Chandler loses does he have to go through the tournament again? Does Dave Jansen just sit on the sideline and wait? What happens if Alvarez gets finished again?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

This sucks. After the Chandler fight win or lose it depends but I really don't care to watch them fight anybody else in bellator. Both should go to the UFC imo

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    So if Chandler loses does he have to go through the tournament again? Does Dave Jansen just sit on the sideline and wait? What happens if Alvarez gets finished again?
    Well with all those scenarios, we will find out what Rebney can do when put in a sticky situation. He claims that Bellator is more legit with their title holders and contenders. Let's see if he does right by Jensen instead of booking an immediate trilogy match should Chandler lose.

And if Eddie loses, I would think he has to earn his way back into title contention through tourny.

THANK GOD EDDIE FINALLY GETS TO FIGHT DURING HIS PRIME AGAIN!!!

Sick PPV match, sooooo if he loses he'll get to ply his trade in the UFC, and if he wins, they do a trilogy and he then goes to the UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Well with all those scenarios, we will find out what Rebney can do when put in a sticky situation. He claims that Bellator is more legit with their title holders and contenders. Let's see if he does right by Jensen instead of booking an immediate trilogy match should Chandler lose.

And if Eddie loses, I would think he has to earn his way back into title contention through tourny.
    What will Bjorn do when put in a sticky situation? Whatever he/Viacom wants. That's why Bjorn gave this ridiculous press release yesterday as a way to preemptively justify passing over a tournament champion in favor of making a more lucrative fight. Of course they'd do it again, especially if they want to have a second PPV. They can't exactly headline with Attila Vegh vs Christian M'Pumbu II.

I wonder if Bellator will market this match up as, "The fight the UFC didn't want you to see."

I'm thinking they're going to want to rush ahead and get Vegh/Newton II out of the way as quick as possible, so they can have that champion take on Mo on the PPV, which would be much better for them if it were Newton, so they could hype a grudge rematch.

Thread Information