Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen Applying for License to Referee Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva 2

Default Chael Sonnen Applying for License to Referee Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva 2

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...derson-silva-2

Anderson Silva, Chris Weidman and Chael Sonnen may all be in the Octagon at the same time on December 28 in one of the most anticipated rematches in UFC history.

During an interview with MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani, Sonnen announced that he was applying for a referee license with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would give him an opportunity to officiate the middleweight title bout at UFC 168 between Silva and Weidman:

I’m putting in an application. I’m going to try to get my referee’s license, and I’m hoping to officiate [Weidman vs. Silva]. Whether they assign me to it, I’ve reffed plenty of matches in other jurisdictions, and I’m applying for that one in Nevada.
    The professional wrestling gods must be smiling down heavily on the UFC.

Sonnen serving as an official for a Silva fight is like Vince McMahon reffing a wrestling match for “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

The historic feud and venomous exchanges shared between Sonnen and Silva is packed with enough drama to serve as its own Hollywood biopic.

In fact, it has only been a few days since Sonnen told reporters during the media conference call for UFC on Fox Sports 1 that he wanted to fight Silva for a third time. Whether Sonnen gets licensed or not, the Silva camp would likely appeal any such notion of him actually officiating the middleweight title bout.

Just ask yourself. Would you be comfortable with your most bitter rival, who you’ve already defeated twice, refereeing your UFC title bout?

Sonnen isn’t holding his breath on the commission offering him the main event bout. He told Helwani that he knows it’s a longshot, but it’s hard to pass up on an opportunity to be a part of history:

To get the main event, no, it’ll be tough unless I can work a show or two in before then in Nevada. I actually don’t know what the schedule is there. I don’t want to make a pitch to [NSAC executive director Keith Kizer]. He makes expert opinions. He knows exactly what he’s doing. There’s great refs out there, but you brought it up, I want to ref it. I’m sure every other ref does too, but I’m putting my name in.
    People always talk about the overwhelming odds of traveling to Brazil and defeating Silva in front of his hometown fans. In December, Silva might very well compete against the only man to ever defeat him in the UFC with his longtime rival calling the fight.

Imagine those odds.
    Holy shit. Could you imagine Chael as a "special guest referee?" LOL. Can't say I blame him though, I'd want to be as close to that action as possible too if I was him.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

A liar, known cheater, and felon refereeing a fight in Vegas.

Seems logical.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

This isn't WWE Chael. What next he raises the winners hand and then clothesline them? Please please do not let this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

This will happen just like Tito Ortiz will be the LHW champ again...lol

I can't stop laughing today.

Chael... reffing Weidman/Silva II...

Like thamob said, he would raise the winner's hand and then do the Stone Cold Stunner.

I just cannot imagine Chael reffing fights.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

7. Default

Well, if you asked me who I wanted reffing my fight, and my options were Sonnen, Windslow, Mazagatti, or Yamasaki.....

Whatever guys, I don't think it's a horrible idea. I think Chael is more of a professional than people think he is, and quite honestly, I think more fighters should get into refing. Let him apply and if the athletic commission deems him biased or unqualified so be it. Surely Chael would do a much better job than say, Yamasaki...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Make fun of him all you want, he's still better than Kim Winslow.

It makes sense for fighters to get into judging or reffing... however, I don't think reffing will be as well payed as commenting... unless of course, Sonnen just wants to ref Silva vs Wiedman... in which case David Arquette will be your next champion...

Thread Information