+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Mo rematches Emanuel Newton for interim light heavyweight title at Bellator PPV

Default King Mo rematches Emanuel Newton for interim light heavyweight title at Bellator PPV

King Mo rematches Emanuel Newton for interim light heavyweight title at Bellator PPV event

By Mookie Alexander  @mookiealexander on Aug 15 2013, 2:14p

With Attila Vegh injured, recent light heavyweight tournament winners Muhammed Lawal and Emanuel Newton will fight for the interim LHW championship on the November 2nd PPV.

Bellator's first venture into the PPV market has another title fight on the November 2nd card. Season 8 light heavyweight tournament winner Emanuel Newton, who shocked the world by knocking out Muhammed Lawal in the semifinals, was lined up to face champion Attila Vegh in the fall. King Mo, who won the 4 man tournament this summer, was due to fight the winner of Newton/Vegh. Today King Mo and Bellator confirmed that the rematch is on for the PPV card:

Bjorn Rebney revealed in an August 1st interview with The Examiner's Chad Cooper that Vegh was injured, and that a rematch was possible between Mo and Newton:

Is there a possibility of King Mo fighting Emanuel Newton again before getting a title shot against the champion Attila Vegh?

Conceptually. (Attila) Vegh was injured and we are still working through that with him. Emanuel is ready to go right now and I just spoke with Mo and he is fine.
    Hence, this is for the interim belt and the winner will unify with Vegh in 2014.

Newton (21-7-1) was as high as a 10-to-1 underdog against King Mo when he knocked him out with a spinning backfist in the 1st round. The 29-year-old completed his unlikely run to the final with a decision win over Mikhail Zayats.

Lawal (11-2, 1 NC) breezed through the summer series "mini tournament" by knocking out Seth Petruzelli and stopping Jacob Noe in the final.

The Bellator PPV is headlined by Tito Ortiz vs. Quinton Jackson and accompanied by a rematch between Michael Chandler and Eddie Alvarez, this time for Chandler's lightweight title.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/8/15...e-bellator-ppv
    Should be a solid matchup to add to the PPV.

Wonder if they'd be interested in putting up Askren/Hieron II as well to have built-in rematches to flesh out the PPV main card fights?

You think people would actually PAY to watch Ben Askren fight?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I thought Hieron/Askren was a pretty exciting fight.

I wouldn't buy a card headlined by Askren but I would definitely be interested in his fight if it was on one like this. His control is nothing short of art and although it's not exciting, you have to appreciate what he is able to do.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

How does this work if it's true for earning title shots and all that jazz? The real champ then iterim champ. I'd rather them just stay away from doing what the UFC does as much as possible regarding this interim stuff. As for the fight itself it would be neat to see again. I hope Newton can do exactly the same as last time to Mo (lol) but I don't expect to see that at all. Also Mo is coming off 1 ko loss and 1 ko win in his last 2 right? So this is not an earned title shot in my opinion.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

2-1.

KO'ed Petruzelli and Noe.

Ok thanks, were those part of the tournament? The wins? I think the loss to Newton was but the other two I have no idea.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

The "mini-tournament."

Impressed that Bellator has their shit together for this PPV. Booking this fight will bolster the card.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information