Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White will 'talk' to Bellator champion Ben Askren about potential UFC contract

Default White will 'talk' to Bellator champion Ben Askren about potential UFC contract

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/15/46...llator-ufc-mma
    White told reporters during this afternoon's UFC Fight Night 26 media scrum (video here) that he'll talk to Askren about a future inside the Octagon, which means Bellator may need to pull out all the stops to keep the 170-pound champion, whose contract came to a close following his recent thrashing of Andrey Koreshkov.

This means Askren is now in the exclusive negotiating period of his contract. He'll have some time where only Bellator can discuss a new deal and if that comes to an end, he'll transition to the matching period where he can field offers from other promotions like UFC.

The caveat is Bellator will also have the right to match any deal from elsewhere if they should choose. This is what happened with Eddie Alvarez and his tedious situation.

One can only hope something similar doesn't occur with Askren.

Regardless of the outcome, the Roufusport team member has the ball in his court and will be looking to parlay this into what is best for him and his growing brand. He would fit in well with a stacked UFC welterweight division and make for a potentially intriguing match-up against fellow grappling extraordinaire, Georges St. Pierre.

He already said he's "100-percent sure" he could beat him.

UFC should have kept raising the money for Eddie til it broke Bellator.

Apparently Dana didn't talk about that kind of strategy the times he has met with Vince McMahon.

Vince tore a big hole in Ted Turner's bank account when he let Bret Hart go to WCW. He helped Bret negotiate a huge contract, 1. for Bret's benefit and 2. to hurt Ted's wallet.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

3. Default

Either way it goes DW's goal will be to hurt Belator. I'm not sure if I care to see Askren come over to the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    UFC should have kept raising the money for Eddie til it broke Bellator.
    Problem is if they overpay for Eddie then the rest of the UFC roster expects raises or becomes really disgruntled. With Viacom's deep pockets backing Bellator now the bidding war would have just gotten stupid anyways.

Vince tore a big hole in Ted Turner's bank account when he let Bret Hart go to WCW. He helped Bret negotiate a huge contract, 1. for Bret's benefit and 2. to hurt Ted's wallet.
    Didn't really hurt Turner much not like the guy didn't have the cash.. letting Nash and Hogan have as much creative control as they did was what really hurt.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Im for it. Lets see askren take on some of the top guys. UFC: where the big boys play.

Yawn. Makes me sleepy thinking about it.

I don't care if he deserves to be there. I don't care if he will make the division deeper. I don't care if he will weed out the pretenders who have huge holes in their skill set. All I care about is that he isn't super fun to watch, and that I have the attention span of a gold fish.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

I'd like to see Askren in the UFC, if for no other reason than to see if be can back up the claims he makes about being able to beat GSP. Of course there are other extremely talented fighters lurking in the division. If he did sign, I'd really like to see him fight Rory Mac for his debut, if Rory hasn't captured the title by then.

Didnt Dana said that Askren was extremely boring??
    Oh right, while he is in Bellator he is "very boring", but in UFC he will be "one of the best fighters ever"
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information