Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longo: "Anderson has a major task ahead of him"

I just want the fight to come and be done so we can hopefully put an end to te debate. Chris's fans don't want to think Anderson under estimated and lost due to his own mistakes, and Anderson's fans want to believe it was a fluke, some even desperately so.

I'm the latter and not afraid to admit it. I always believed weidman had the tools, but still think Anderson got cocky, fought reckless and payed the price. I want silva to beat weidman easily... To leave no doubt it was a fluke.

Anyway. Both guys have everything at stake. Weidman has to prove it wasn't a fluke, and silva has to price it was. An unenviable position on both sides. Both guys should be as motivated as they've ever been. It will a hell of a fight I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    I'm sorry, exactly when did Anderson say he was unmotivated or underestimated him?
    I'm an Anderson fan, but the proof is in the pudding my man.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    that was my opinion sorry should of worded it a little better, but do you think Anderson took Chris serously for the way he acted?
    I think Anderson took the fight deadly seriously. I think he was worried about the fight from the moment Chris lit up Munoz. soares immediately tried to avoid it, Anderson himself came out and literally said "he'd be a fool" to face Weidman, and the camp did whatever they could to stall or instill another contender.

Anderson came into the bout in great shape and in full health. He fought the way he's fought before, with Lietes, with Maia, with Forrest. But he didn't have a problem with size and with KO power from any of those guys.

I would say Anderson underestimated Weidman--even though he was clearly and obviously worried about fighting him. I believe Anderson gave Chris a lot of credit, but he simply didn't give him enough credit. But that doesn't automatically translate to "not taking the fight seriously" any more than not wanting to fight someone because of risk/reward concerns immediately translates into being afraid of someone. Too many interweb fans want to reduce something into black and white, overly simplistic terms that simply do not apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by earle View Post
    I never heard Anderson say it either, but they way he acted in the fight clearly showed that he underestimated Weidman's striking, IMO. Lose by sub, gnp, or UD? Sure. But lose by brutal KO? I doubt that scenario seemed likely to the Spider.
    Just because it doesn't seem likely doesn't mean that he didn't take things seriously. I believe he had a great understanding of how dangerous Chris was as a grappler, and with GnP. But I think it's important to note how often Anderson has employed a serious reach advantage. He's never NOT had a reach advantage in facing someone who could knock him out. I think he, like many, bought into the "Munoz was fat and sucked anyway" bullshit that was spread when Weidman was named #1 contender. I believe he thinks that side-by-side, he'd school Chris in a kickboxing/MT match. But he didn't factor in that the bulk of his experience has been fighting smaller fighters who simply couldn't knock him out if they managed to connect.

and while I know you haven't said any of this specifically, that's still not a matter of him not taking the fight seriously, or giving it away/losing the fight on purpose, or any other bullshit that gets bandied about by Anderson fanboys/Weidman haters.

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    I just want the fight to come and be done so we can hopefully put an end to te debate. Chris's fans don't want to think Anderson under estimated and lost due to his own mistakes, and Anderson's fans want to believe it was a fluke, some even desperately so.
    It wasn't a fluke.

Even if Anderson comes back and incorporates and executes a smarter plan, it doesn't erase this bout, or excuse this bout. It just means that even as an old dog with a bag overflowing with tricks, that Anderson still has the ability to learn from every bout.

But Anderson lost to the guy who was the better fighter on that specific night. It doesn't mean Weidman is the better fighter forever, it just means he was the better fighter that night. That's what makes MMA so amazing, and that's what makes rematches so important. When Anderson wasn't actively looking for a rematch with Henderson, when he allowed soares to mislead the bulk of an uneducated and ignorant fan base was the first point where I had concerns about the champion. He's always had the skills to beat Dan a second time and prove beyond any doubt. Instead, he went the other way. I don't have a label for it, but it certainly wasn't the way of a game fighter, of a fighter with a champion's heart.

Anyway. Both guys have everything at stake. Weidman has to prove it wasn't a fluke, and silva has to price it was. An unenviable position on both sides. Both guys should be as motivated as they've ever been. It will a hell of a fight I'm sure.
    I disagree.

The fluke card is only on the table if Weidman pulls a Serra and never has another significant bout in his career. And that's where the comparisons end. Serra was on the verge of retirement, a virtual has-been moving up a weight class to get a shot at GSP. Weidman is currently undefeated and posed a viable threat to Anderson even before the bout was signed.

The only people who are trying to seriously dismiss the fight as a fluke are either fanboys are haters, and don't know what they're talking about.

It happened. It was real. A rematch doesn't change anything but who holds the belt after the final bell.

But anyone who thinks Anderson took the fight lightly needs to go back and revisit how hard he and his camp tried to avoid it. Anyone who thinks he wasn't serious from the moment he signed the bout agreement needs to consider how difficult it is for a 38 year old man to get in that kind of shape, and perform as well as he did in the first round.

Miscalculating striking distance because you've spent 10 years sporting a reach advantage over anyone with the actual power to KO you doesn't equate to a lack of interest or focus. It's a practical concern, a lack of appropriate application of skill--and one that Anderson certainly possesses the capability of rectifying.

But when and if he manages to do so, it doesn't mean the loss was a fluke, or that Silva didn't have one night in a legendary UFC career where he simply was not the better fighter.

And that degree of variability is what makes MMA so fucking great.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

^a fucking men

5. Default

RH is right here

I am tired of the bullshit, yes Anderson took the fight as a real fight and he got KTFO

I am a fan of Chris and Anderson

But some of you fuckin retards in this thread are the reason that REAL MMA fans are getting tired of the bullshit. and do not act like fuckin fools you know who this is at...and is not at
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    RH is right here

I am tired of the bullshit, yes Anderson took the fight as a real fight and he got KTFO

I am a fan of Chris and Anderson

But some of you fuckin retards in this thread are the reason that REAL MMA fans are getting tired of the bullshit. and do not act like fuckin fools you know who this is at...and is not at
    Take heed the bear hath spoken.

7. 08-17-2013, 10:31 PM

I've come to the feeling it doesn't really matter if he took Chris seriously or not, he got dapped on the chin and went out... And even as a fan of Anderson's I don't think he should get an immediate rematch after a loss like that.

Maybe it wasn't that he underestimated weidman, but was just so secure in his own style that he thought he could get away with it. Either way it doesn't matter. That fight is done and now we have another to look forward too... I just want Anderson to bring it. If he brings it and still loses then that more then settles it, and removes any debate....

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think Anderson took the fight deadly seriously. I think he was worried about the fight from the moment Chris lit up Munoz. soares immediately tried to avoid it, Anderson himself came out and literally said "he'd be a fool" to face Weidman, and the camp did whatever they could to stall or instill another contender.

Anderson came into the bout in great shape and in full health. He fought the way he's fought before, with Lietes, with Maia, with Forrest. But he didn't have a problem with size and with KO power from any of those guys.

I would say Anderson underestimated Weidman--even though he was clearly and obviously worried about fighting him. I believe Anderson gave Chris a lot of credit, but he simply didn't give him enough credit. But that doesn't automatically translate to "not taking the fight seriously" any more than not wanting to fight someone because of risk/reward concerns immediately translates into being afraid of someone. Too many interweb fans want to reduce something into black and white, overly simplistic terms that simply do not apply.

Just because it doesn't seem likely doesn't mean that he didn't take things seriously. I believe he had a great understanding of how dangerous Chris was as a grappler, and with GnP. But I think it's important to note how often Anderson has employed a serious reach advantage. He's never NOT had a reach advantage in facing someone who could knock him out. I think he, like many, bought into the "Munoz was fat and sucked anyway" bullshit that was spread when Weidman was named #1 contender. I believe he thinks that side-by-side, he'd school Chris in a kickboxing/MT match. But he didn't factor in that the bulk of his experience has been fighting smaller fighters who simply couldn't knock him out if they managed to connect.

and while I know you haven't said any of this specifically, that's still not a matter of him not taking the fight seriously, or giving it away/losing the fight on purpose, or any other bullshit that gets bandied about by Anderson fanboys/Weidman haters.

It wasn't a fluke.

Even if Anderson comes back and incorporates and executes a smarter plan, it doesn't erase this bout, or excuse this bout. It just means that even as an old dog with a bag overflowing with tricks, that Anderson still has the ability to learn from every bout.

But Anderson lost to the guy who was the better fighter on that specific night. It doesn't mean Weidman is the better fighter forever, it just means he was the better fighter that night. That's what makes MMA so amazing, and that's what makes rematches so important. When Anderson wasn't actively looking for a rematch with Henderson, when he allowed soares to mislead the bulk of an uneducated and ignorant fan base was the first point where I had concerns about the champion. He's always had the skills to beat Dan a second time and prove beyond any doubt. Instead, he went the other way. I don't have a label for it, but it certainly wasn't the way of a game fighter, of a fighter with a champion's heart.

I disagree.

The fluke card is only on the table if Weidman pulls a Serra and never has another significant bout in his career. And that's where the comparisons end. Serra was on the verge of retirement, a virtual has-been moving up a weight class to get a shot at GSP. Weidman is currently undefeated and posed a viable threat to Anderson even before the bout was signed.

The only people who are trying to seriously dismiss the fight as a fluke are either fanboys are haters, and don't know what they're talking about.

It happened. It was real. A rematch doesn't change anything but who holds the belt after the final bell.

But anyone who thinks Anderson took the fight lightly needs to go back and revisit how hard he and his camp tried to avoid it. Anyone who thinks he wasn't serious from the moment he signed the bout agreement needs to consider how difficult it is for a 38 year old man to get in that kind of shape, and perform as well as he did in the first round.

Miscalculating striking distance because you've spent 10 years sporting a reach advantage over anyone with the actual power to KO you doesn't equate to a lack of interest or focus. It's a practical concern, a lack of appropriate application of skill--and one that Anderson certainly possesses the capability of rectifying.

But when and if he manages to do so, it doesn't mean the loss was a fluke, or that Silva didn't have one night in a legendary UFC career where he simply was not the better fighter.

And that degree of variability is what makes MMA so fucking great.

rh

Points well made, and taken by me. You are certainly right about the fight... But where I think you're wrong is he doesn't have anything to prove. In a lot of people's eyes he does, and your opinion, no matter how right it is will not erase that public perception, it won't lift
    any pressure he might have going into the fight. So he might not have to prove it to you, but in a lot of people's eyes he does... And even past this fight, does he not have the burden of proving he's the champion every time he steps in the octagon now? With that belt comes added pressure on its own, regardless of the fight. So yes, I think to a lot of people weidman still has a lot to prove when it comes time to fight silva again... If weidman loses, right or wrong... People will call it a fluke
    Last edited by rspier; 08-18-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    I'm sorry, exactly when did Anderson say he was unmotivated or underestimated him?
    Ummm a motivated Anderson doesn't let people punch him in the face. You will see the difference in December.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Thread Information