Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longo: "Anderson has a major task ahead of him"

Man I can't wait for the rematch. Just to see which camp is right; the Silva lost crowd or Weidmans for real and has The Spider's number. No matter the outcome it should be a good rumble!
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.

[QUOTE=rspier;1045550]I've come to the feeling it doesn't really matter if he took Chris seriously or not, he got dapped on the chin and went out... And even as a fan of Anderson's I don't think he should get an immediate rematch after a loss like that. [QUOTE]
    I never thought he should have gotten one either...but ufc gold isn't as pure as it once was.

Maybe it wasn't that he underestimated weidman, but was just so secure in his own style that he thought he could get away with it. Either way it doesn't matter. That fight is done and now we have another to look forward too... I just want Anderson to bring it. If he brings it and still loses then that more then settles it, and removes any debate....
    I think it all comes down to the reach issue that I've talked about for years. Literally, for years. When was the last time Anderson faced a guy who could actually knock him out that he didn't have a reach advantage over? Playing to "his style" equates to playing with an advantage that goes beyond his elite-level striking.

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    Points well made, and taken by me. You are certainly right about the fight... But where I think you're wrong is he doesn't have anything to prove. In a lot of people's eyes he does, and your opinion, no matter how right it is will not erase that public perception, it won't lift any pressure he might have going into the fight. So he might not have to prove it to you, but in a lot of people's eyes he does... And even past this fight, does he not have the burden of proving he's the champion every time he steps in the octagon now? With that belt comes added pressure on its own, regardless of the fight. So yes, I think to a lot of people weidman still has a lot to prove when it comes time to fight silva again... If weidman loses, right or wrong... People will call it a fluke
    I'm sure people will call it a fluke. People went right back into this thread and are still talking about Anderson being unmotivated and/or ready to call it a fluke. Those people are idiots. Their opinion means less than the ether it's printed on.

I didn't mean to imply that neither fighter has nothing to prove. Anderson has to prove he's still top dog at 185. Weidman has to prove that he's legitimately better than Anderson.

But it absolutely doesn't prove that Anderson was unmotivated the first time, or that he gave the fight away, or that Weidman's win was a fluke. Anyone looking to pin that on the outcome has no idea what they're watching when they watch combat sports.
    speaking of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Ummm a motivated Anderson doesn't let people punch him in the face. You will see the difference in December.
    yeah...so what's more likely...that Anderson was unmotivated and didn't take Weidman seriously--after ducking him for a year, actually coming out and saying he'd be a "fool" to fight him, going through training camp and coming in looking fantastic, and fighting a killer first round...or that he just wasn't used to fighting a guy with Weidman's skillset that he didn't have a significant reach advantage over.

Go back and watch the KO again. If that was Forrest, those blows wouldn't have landed. An inch of room and Anderson slips them. If it was Forrest, and they somehow did manage to land, they're not putting him on queer street.

It wasn't a matter of not being motivated. Anderson himself has said he was motivated. He's full of shit more than half the time and deliberately trolls the media, but coming in as sharp as he did, his performance in the first round support that he was motivated.

He misjudged the distance, because he's used to fighters missing at that range, and being able to land counters with impunity. He tried what he always does, and he got punished for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Triangle View Post
    Man I can't wait for the rematch. Just to see which camp is right; the Silva lost crowd or Weidmans for real and has The Spider's number. No matter the outcome it should be a good rumble!
    Neither camp is right. Anyone living in either of those camps is an idiot.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Yup. Lol, that's all I've got... I believe you're right Rivet... and I'm stealing that line about their opinions not being worth the ether they're printed on.

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    Yup. Lol, that's all I've got... I believe you're right Rivet... and I'm stealing that line about their opinions not being worth the ether they're printed on.
    You're certainly welcome to the quote.

For the record, I think we will see a difference in Anderson's game in December. But in no way does that indicate he was unmotivated or didn't take things seriously the first time. It's still more likely that he incorporates the fact that Weidman is a striking threat as well as a grappling threat. I don't think you'll see Anderson looking to stay at range and counter, as that would leave him vulnerable. I think he'll exploit the fact that--while Chris is a proficient striking threat in his own right--he's just not at Anderson's level striking. I think you'll see him moving in and taking angles, looking to keep Chris off balance and dipping back out. A lot of making Chris chase him.

And idiots will interpret that as the first fight being a fluke.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Anderson was so unmotivated that he stopped for a nap during the fight. ZING!

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Miscalculating striking distance because you've spent 10 years sporting a reach advantage over anyone with the actual power to KO you doesn't equate to a lack of interest or focus. It's a practical concern, a lack of appropriate application of skill--and one that Anderson certainly possesses the capability of rectifying.
    rh
    There was no miscalculating in dropping your guard and clearly letting someone hit you in the face. That is something Silva didn't do against Sonnen in either fight, Vitor and even Okami.

Its clear to me even leading up to the fight that Silva didn't take Weidman's striking abilities seriously. In an interview leading up to the fight he even indicated that Weidman needed to work on his striking and that he needed to work on his wrestling.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Silva dropped his hands in the Okami fight. He didn't stand around like an idiot, but he definitely dropped his hands and baited him as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Silva dropped his hands in the Okami fight. He didn't stand around like an idiot, but he definitely dropped his hands and baited him as usual.
    Silva already fought Okami before anyways so he knew Okami's striking wouldn't be an issue. Weidman was a wildcard and I have a feeling he won't use the same strategy in the rematch.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Unless he's mentally handicapped then no, I would assume he won't use the same strategy. I would really hope not, I'm hoping he effin' wins this time....

Thread Information