Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen results and post-fight analysis

I counted 45 unanswered strikes. Since when is holding a hand over your face intelligently defending yourself? And I think it was stopped early when he jumped on reem. Reem was never out as far as I could tell. He probably was going to be soon but another strike or 2 to give him the benifit if the doubt after letting browne take a beating would have been fair. Not a huge fan if either ine but I think the reem got robbed. ...

Stunned that Gamburyan somehow got that decision on the prelim. I'm a big enough mark for Miller to go back and find the bout, but I had him winning all three rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Overreem made the same mistake Riddick Bowe made against George Foreman after dominating him for 12 rounds, h...
    I don't think they're comparable. AO capitalized on a slip, he wasn't outstriking him from the bell. He tried to take advantage of a mistake, he punched himself out and got beat the way he always gets beat...he fails to defend when he gasses.

Quote Originally Posted by macewen View Post
    yeah i totally thought t he ref was stopping the reem browne fight...
    If they're not stopping Carwin pummeling Cain, they're not stopping that one.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    ...Not sure what to think of Rua was he that bad or Sonnen that good that night?
    sonnen pulled of the submission of his career there. It was a great choke, it was deep. I don't think Rua is as good as PRIDE Shogun, I don't even think he's as good as 2010 Shogun...but that choke would have tapped any of them.

I despise sonnen. I don't think he's a top 5 talent, I know he's a liar, embezzler and a douche. But he fought a great fight and he executed a killer submission. Anyone who is trying to say Shogun is just washed up and sucks is taking something away from sonnen that he earned.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah I still think the bowe/foreman comparison is valid. AO was tired but he also felt "safe" at that distance and got lulled into the kick. All the way in or out, he miscalculated where the danger zone was. The question now is what does Overreem have inside? Can he come back from 2 straight losses? The HW division isn't that deep, he could fight for the title by 2015 if he wins 3 or 4 fights impressively. I personally think if he would have not hunted for those knees so much and maybe looked to work some leg kicks and possibly some body shots, he would have gotten the finish. I just hate to see guys give away fights like this, not saying Browne didn't earn it. I would like to see a rematch, maybe they will do Bigfoot vs Overreem 2 next year....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

My quick analysis of some fights:
    - Michael McDonald is such a great talent. His timing, accuracy, combinations and power with his hands is always incredible to watch. Seeing him slap on the triangle out of nowhere was a beauty. I would love to see him and Faber fight each other for the #1 contendorship. It's too bad for both of them that Renan is such a beast.
    - Michael Johnson showed some excellent striking. He put a beating on Lauzon. Lauzon was never able to get off.
    - Still surprised that Matt Brown hasn't gotten a top 10 opponent after his streak. This isn't a Jon Fitch streak where he decisioned everyone in non-fan friendly fights. This is a guy who has been KO'ing people in exciting fights. Give him Ellenberger!
    - Faber continuously amazes. He is a such a great fighter as years pass by. That alpha male teams has some studs, but just like I mentioned above, it's too bad for all of them that the champion of their respective division is so good. The only one I see dethroning the champion is Benavidez.
    - I was surprised that the Overeem/Browne fight wasn't stopped earlier. I don't think covering your face alone is justified and also he kept getting dropped against the cage which is usually when referees step in. Then afterwards two unanswered strikes finished the fight. I would just like to see some consistency. Anyways, this Overeem is no different from the LHW Overeem: crazy good when he's attacking and folds when he's on the defence.
    - Love Shogun and always hate seeing him lose, but Sonnen just put on an amazing performance with a well-timed tight guillotine. I don't think it had anything to do with Shogun not showing up; it's that Sonnen never allowed him to even start. Shogun's sweeps from half guard works almost all the time and Sonnen stuffed most of them. He stuck to his gameplan by taking Shogun down, beating him up on the ground and capitalized on the opening. Kudos to him.

Overall great event with great finishes.

Matt Brown has been on a hell of a roll after losing 4 out of five. I was surprised he was given one last chance after that skid, but he's definitely made the most of it by finishing five on this six fight winning streak.

I agree with most who say that he shouldn't get a title shot off of this, but he definitely deserves a higher ranked opponent. Maybe Ellenberger or Maia (if Shields either loses or drops out due to injury).

Was definitely surprised that Chael subbed Shogun so quickly but as RH said, it was a killer choke. Nice to see him back up his talk, which I believe was more tepid than normal (aside from calling him Wandy's henchman, I can't think of anything derogatory comments made about Shogun).

I'm sick of Overeem at this point, but I'd like to see him face Mark Hunt. I'd pull for Hunt fiercely to connect with his chin. As for Browne, perhaps either Stipe Miocic or Big Nog.

I was at least right about Pickett/McDonald being FOTN, but was damn sure wrong about who'd win. That's what I get for not believing in his striking. Faber/McDonald?

And Conor McGregor is simply awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    It wasn't a slip. Travis himself said it was a body shot that dropped him.
    I hadn't seen that. I believe you, but first watch, it looked like a slip to me.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I finally was able to watch all of the fights except Brandao/Pineda and Howard/Hall.

Sonnen/Shogun - Chael submitting Shogun at the end of the first round after completely dominating him with his wrestling was utterly stunning whether you love him or hate him. That win is one that shines on his record and he was able to deliver it to the critics in abrupt and convincing fashion. My speculation on the fight before it happened was that if Sonnen won, it'd be by outworking Shogun like he immediately began to, but I never saw a first round submission coming. I thought Shogun's chances of finishing the fight were greater than Sonnen's of winning a decision. I love this sport. As for Shogun, I feel bad for him. It was to be a devastating loss to either of them. I can't imagine how Shogun feels going back to Brazil, as someone mentioned, after getting tapped by Sonnen in the first round.

Browne/Overeem - This fight was a shocker! So many parts of this fight just had me in disbelief. First of all, the beating Overeem put on Travis through the fight was savage and I just couldn't believe how he couldn't put him away. The knees and punches Overeem was landing would inflict finishing damage on most fighters. Travis even said his body shut down on him but he was still mentally aware of what was happening. After being manhandled by Overeem, Travis starts landing his kicks and scores a fucking front kick KO. Seeing a guy as big as Browne landing a front kick KO to Overeem should be something that is remembered for a long time. It was a spectacular come back win for Browne.

Horrible, horrible, horrible loss for Overeem. He was brought into the UFC with so much hype and now he has hit a huge hole in his career. I am anxious to see what the future holds for Alistair. He had the fight in his hands and I do not understand how he just let the ball drop like that. KOTY candidate for sure.

Faber/Alacantara - Faber has always been one of the best fighters of the lighter divisions and has accomplished so much in this sport. I have all the respect for him and the tenacity he has always brought to the cage. He was able to walk through Alacantara's offense and then laid an oldschool ground and pound beatdown on him through the entire fight. Great fight. I would love to see him fight Edgar if he wanted it.

Brown/Pyle - Brown just WILL NOT stop this rampage he is on. It's unreal what this guy has been doing lately. Knocking Pyle TFO as quick and ruthless as that? There's no denying Brown entry to the top tier of the WW division now. Many options should be available for him now and I can't wait to see who he fights next. Very impressive to say the least!

SUCKS for Pyle.

Johnson/Lauzon -

Fuck. But congrats to Johnson.

Mayday/One Punch - WHAT A FIGHT!!! As expected, once the cage door was locked behind McDonald and Pickett, it was like lighting the fuse to a crate of dynamite. Pickett displaying a wicked showing of toughness and heart while Mayday constantly waded in like a machine firing barrages of strikes, showing excellent stand up skill, and then finished the fight off with a fatal sting. That submission was another highlight reel that will live on for a long time. Great fight between two fighters I have always been a fan of. Loved this fight.

McGregor/Holloway - Dominating performance for Conor. His walkout was fucking awesome and the guy has that starpower aura surrounding him. It was known that Holloway was a tough test for him coming into this fight being a great striker as well but Conor just shut him down completely. He may have not scored the finish, unfortunately, but he did get to show himself a little more in this second fight. I love his style and I really want to see him progress as a fighter and a name. I favor his personality, too. Crazy dude. I do wish he would have been able to do more damage while he had the offensive positions on the ground. Can't wait to see him fight again ASAP! Love the Irish folk.

Siler/Brown - Very sad for Brown and a great win for Siler. It's crazy how Brown was once the FW champion, having taken the gold from Faber by TKO and then defending it against him in the rematch. Huge upset for me here.

Great finishes for OSP and Vick.

Not impressed with Manny's win at all.

Bottom line, this card was a memorable one and a great debut for FS1, IMO.
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 08-18-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Thread Information