Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winner of Matt Brown vs Mike Pyle calls out GSP, wants title shot

I think at this point I would replace Kos at #10 with Matt Brown. Past history should be factored into rankings but not at expense of keeping them relevant to the current landscape of the division. Kos hasn't won a fight since Feb 2012. Matt Brown is riding a 6 fight win streak with 3 impressive stoppages in a row over quality opponents. UFC rankings are updated after every event, they aren't set in stone. If Kos lights the world on fire in his next fight his standing will be revisited. In keeping with my theme of keeping the rankings relevant, it's time to ditch Nick Diaz. Going on two years since his last win and he's "retired".

Enough with the calling out the champ but Matt deserves a step up in competition. Brown vs. Lawler for the uncrowned UFC Television Championship!

Agreed on the Diaz point, but if anyone is moving into an empty slot in the top 10 IMO it's Pierce.

It won't matter because GSP is getting KTFO by Hendricks. Matt is calling out the wrong champion.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I've loved and supported this guy from day 1 in the TUF house and glad I stuck true. 6 wins in a row, he needs a #1 contender fight next, and Kampmann/Condit winner coulnd't sound better, what a great fight that would be.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Yup, thats what everyone says, everytime.. GSP will NOT lose, again...
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    I think at this point I would replace Kos at #10 with Matt Brown. Past history should be factored into rankings but not at expense of keeping them relevant to the current landscape of the division. Kos hasn't won a fight since Feb 2012. Matt Brown is riding a 6 fight win streak with 3 impressive stoppages in a row over quality opponents. UFC rankings are updated after every event, they aren't set in stone. If Kos lights the world on fire in his next fight his standing will be revisited. In keeping with my theme of keeping the rankings relevant, it's time to ditch Nick Diaz. Going on two years since his last win and he's "retired".

Enough with the calling out the champ but Matt deserves a step up in competition. Brown vs. Lawler for the uncrowned UFC Television Championship!
    Brown is ranked higher then 10th now, hate to break it to ya. Give him some credit, he has been taking out top guys also on great streaks. Not ready for GSP but hell 6 in a row with 5 ko/TKO give the dude some credit for god sakes.

Top guys????

Swick after a LOOOONNNNGGGG layoff/quick turnaround??? A VERY green Jordan Mein? Mike Pyle???? Ramos, Thompson, Chris Cope???

Come on, guys. He's beating the "Barely top 20 and Below Bunch."
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Brown is ranked higher then 10th now, hate to break it to ya. Give him some credit, he has been taking out top guys also on great streaks. Not ready for GSP but hell 6 in a row with 5 ko/TKO give the dude some credit for god sakes.
    UFC Media Rankings are updated, Kos is out and Brown is in at #10. I could see the argument that perhaps he should be ranked higher than Tarec Saffiedine as the luster of being the last Strikeforce champ is wearing off but can't see him ranked much higher than that. Brown's earned a fight with a legit top welterweight, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Robbie Lawler, Jake Ellenberger, Mike Pierce(underrated HOSS) or loser of Condit/Kampmann would be suitable foes to establish Brown as a top ten challenger. I was impressed that he beat Pyle(although Pyle really hangs his chin out there to get tagged too often- see the James Head fight), but his streak hasn't included a murderers' row of WWs, time to step up the competition.

I wonder what Brown/Stungun II would look like, but I don't think they'd want to derail Brown's run by such a neutralizing fighter like Stungun.

I think if Maia beats Shields, he'll probably get the shot, although I could see Kampmann getting a WW shot with a win over Condit, since he's been such a presence in the UFC WW division over the years and a big win over Condit would be a fresh face to have GSP face. I've been hearing Kampmann's name in the mix a lot lately.

If they book Rory/Lawler, I think a winning Maia or Kampmann are probably the next in line. That'd leave several great challengers for Brown. Wonder if they'll test him out against Koscheck and see where things go from there?

If Brown were to score two more powerful wins against elevated competition, I think he'll have earned it.

I don't want to be too mean here, because I enjoy Brown greatly, but right now, I think Rory, Maia, Ellenberger, Diaz, Condit, Pierce, Nelson, Nate, Story, Silva, Stungun, Pierce, Hathaway, T-Wood and possibly Tarec, Siyar, Shields and Kos all beat him.
    The winner of the Stungun/Silva fight would be a great match up for him except it doesn't happen for 6 weeks. One of Condit/Kampmann would be good, with the exception of Condit coming off a win. He deserve a top 10 not top 3 fighter. Dana said they were think about Lawler/MacDonald it that doesn't go through both would be good fights for him as well.

In regards to the title I could see Lawler getting a shot with another impressive KO if the do book him against MacDonald. That would be 2 KOs of top ten guys in one year.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    I love Matt Brown as much as the next guy, buy you are getting way too ahead of yourself. He has been facing mid tier to upper mid tier opponents. Ranking him even #10 would be a stretch right now. I hope they give him a top 10 opponent soon, so he can earn his place, but as it stands he is no where near a title shot.

Thread Information