Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: White: Uriah Hall is not a fighter

Great pep talk, coach!!!

You talked this guy up like he was going to be the next big thing (see Nover) and then you throw him in with Doomsday as a replacement for Samman and Ring??? Baby steps gentlemen. Baby steps.

Howard's a grisly, battle-tested vet who has been in with the top of the division. Hall was out of his league but STILL only lost a split decision that he could have easily won if he had kept the pressure up and the jab in his face.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Ive said it a 100 times..if you don';t want to fight people to hurt them you are in the wrong sport.
    I hear ppl saying bad management, give him easier fights....Bullshit..any of you who have been college level or higher know you train like someone is coming to take your mean ticket away, but there is always someone that wants what u have and if you dont go in with the same mindset you are FUCKED!!!i played college ball for 4 years and i always trained and played like i was playing for my job...because i was! there is always someone that wants what u have. This kid let this guy come in and take it from him!!! TWICE!!!!
    Uriah i hear McDonalds is looking for people to flip burgers, they all wanna be your friend there!

Embarrassing!!!
    H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

I am sorry the guy lost to John Howard in a fight that he should have won running away. Howard was brought in to lose and Hall had every single advantage there was possible over him. He had length, size, power, speed, striking and grappling advantage over Howard and still managed to blow it. They need to just cut the kid and wish him luck on his future endeavors because he has shown nothing on the big stage thus far.

Also people need to stop buying into the hype of TUF. As Rick Pinto once said "Rashad Evans isn't about to walk through that door."
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Then, playing competitive sports, you likely remember being a freshman who was bigger and more talented than some seniors but still getting your ass handed to you occasionally because they were older, more wily, and knew how to weather the storm.

Everyone admits that Hall's issue is mental. Mental toughness is developed by taking beating after beating until you know you won't break. John Howard has DEFINITELY been there. Uriah Hall has obviously not been there.

In order to develop a young fighter and have them reach their (and your expected) potential requires an incrimental movement through guys who challenge them in different ways. Doomsday was simply too much for him at this point in his development.

This isn't a shot at you. However, I get really tired of people saying, "It's fighting. If you can't handle it, go do blah blah." Fight sports are just like anything else in life. There are jitters, moments of being star struck, fear of the big show, adrenaline dumps, etc. etc. etc. The only way to overcome those is to keep fighting and become the best version of yourself.

Uriah Hall went from expecting to fight Nick Ring to Samman to Doomsday Howard. If you ask me, the first two fights were PERFECT for his development. Moving into the realm of a fighter like Doomsday was WAAAAYYY too much of a step up in his development.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Then, playing competitive sports, you likely remember being a freshman who was bigger and more talented than some seniors but still getting your ass handed to you occasionally because they were older, more wily, and knew how to weather the storm.

Everyone admits that Hall's issue is mental. Mental toughness is developed by taking beating after beating until you know you won't break. John Howard has DEFINITELY been there. Uriah Hall has obviously not been there.

In order to develop a young fighter and have them reach their (and your expected) potential requires an incrimental movement through guys who challenge them in different ways. Doomsday was simply too much for him at this point in his development.

This isn't a shot at you. However, I get really tired of people saying, "It's fighting. If you can't handle it, go do blah blah." Fight sports are just like anything else in life. There are jitters, moments of being star struck, fear of the big show, adrenaline dumps, etc. etc. etc. The only way to overcome those is to keep fighting and become the best version of yourself.

Uriah Hall went from expecting to fight Nick Ring to Samman to Doomsday Howard. If you ask me, the first two fights were PERFECT for his development. Moving into the realm of a fighter like Doomsday was WAAAAYYY too much of a step up in his development.
    No shot taken SJ.
    This isnt some rinky dink fight association. If you arent ready for the jump then dont take it.
    I agree there are those moments, but man that should have been over with his loss in TUF.
    You cant keep feeding the kid cans and expect him to get better. he is in the show now!

H.
    OH, and for the record i was a 4 year starter. (yes even as a freshman) so i know all abou jitters and that stuff too.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Same here, and my freshman year I certainly dealt with some guys who clearly weren't as talented as I was who always had that edge until I "grew up."

I agree that it's the big show. I would even contend that he shouldn't be there yet except there are guys more on his level who are available as opponents.

Masscore may think Doomsday was brought in to lose but I GUARANTEE HE didn't feel that way one bit and he's, like I said, a savvy, wily old veteran who's fought the top of the division.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

Doomsday Howard over Nick Ring? Really? A guy that is an undersized MW with a huge reach and size disadvantage that offered nothing more then a puncher's chance was too big of a step up? If Howard is too much of a step up for you then you should not be in the UFC. He has been in two fights so far that he should have run away with yet still managed to lose some how. The kid needs to be cut and sent back down and get some time under his belt. Doing it in the UFC right now is a waste of everyone's time and will do nothing but hurt his future.

Who are you going to have him face next if he just lost to a guy that was brought in with the purpose of losing to him? Howard coming into this fight would have been the lowest ranked guy at MW and he pulled off the win because Hall didn't show up.

I think this makes a great case for the UFC using that WFA, Strikeforce or WEC name they bought and start a farming league. This way guys like Hall, Nover and so on do not get ruined by mental problems and they can be brought up the right away. You could use the league as a way to build up young fighters and have them under contract to Zuffa so you do not have to wait for their Bellator or OneFC or other contract to run up.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    He is and he isnt. As a fighter you need to protect yourself,and pick the right fights at the right time, coming out of the TUF house he wasnt riding a great high, he lost a SD in his first fight. To take an almost do or die fight against Howard was just a bad move, he shouldn't have taken a step up in competition after a lose.
    That's the thing though he wasn't riding a high so he wasn't a highly valuable commodity to the UFC so he's not really in the position to be declining fights that Joe/Dana want him to take. A guy in his position does more harm to himself in declining to take a fight.

As mentioned though Howard was a fill in for his original opponent... even still Howard was a winnable fight for Hall in my opinion he has a ton of combat sports striking experience with a sizable reach and height advantage and with his style of kicking he could have kept Howard outside of striking range all match.

Hey Mass, the only problem i can see with creating your own feeder league is expectations. You have the ultimate fighter. in comparison to say football, its like rookie camp. you take your best blue chip prospects and weed out who u think have a future. So do you scrap that in favour of a full on feeder system where the champion in each division after a set amt of title defenses moves up ??
    you're fans know these are tier 2 and tier 3 guys so how do u book venues? do you run it out of the UFC training centre?
    It becomes such a tough proposition when you're core business is gates/PPV and a TV deal. The TV deal is only good if you can deliver rating. Tier 2 and tier 3 guys do not drive ratings (for those wrestling fans see TNA for a great ratings example)

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Show me one person on Ring's resume that is even close to Dennis Hallman or Charlie Brenneman.

That being said, I'm pretty sure we agree that he's not up to fighting the better/more seasoned fighters of the division.

That doesn't mean he's not a fighter as was stated.

Thread Information