Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shogun Rua: I still want to become world champion again

Default Shogun Rua: I still want to become world champion again

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/19...champion-again

"I have 11 years in MMA and Vale Tudo, I won everything I always wanted," Rua stated in a press release. "I achieved everything I dreamed, but I want to do that again. I still want many victories; I still want to become the world champion again. Who decides when I will stop (fighting) or not is myself, no one else. Thank God Iím financially stable, and I keep fighting because I love it."

Sonnen handed Shogun his first first-round submission loss in his 29-fight career, and this is the first time he suffered two consecutive losses. However, his team is confident he did the best training for the bout despite the loss.

"Mauricio invested a lot in this camp, trained with the best, went to the United States to learn new techniques, so we decided to maintain the same team," Leonardo Salomao, Ruaís manager, stated in the release. "He trained with Freddie Roach in the US, took Jacob Harman to Curitiba, had the support of Glaube Feitosa, Roberto Gordo and Renato Babalu on his corner. He was really well prepared, but Sonnen was better. Mauricio is a winner and Iím sure he will be back."

Rua was always criticized for his cardio in his losses, but he had no time in this fight to show the result of his preparation. Shogun praised Sonnen for his performance on the quick win, saying he did "everything" he had to do to get ready for the fight.

"Iím a really competitive guy, who hates to be defeated," he said. "I know I did everything I should have done during my preparation, but Sonnen was better on the fight. Unfortunately, in the fight (business), we have to wait a lot to return and bounce back. In soccer, you lose on Sunday and win on Wednesday, everything is ok. Iíll get back home, see what went wrong on the fight and train hard to make sure that mistake wonít happen again."

Rua, who didnít state when he plans to fight next, sent a message to his fans.

"Iím a big fan of Ayrton Senna, but I didnít think he was bad when he lost," he said. "I was a true fan, I admired him for what he did, winning or losing. His name is in history now and I believe mine will be in the history of MMA. I thank the fans for their words on social media, you are very important for me."
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

Ayrton Senna never got the chance to experience a decline in his racing career, though.

Getting submitted in the first by a mw. I think its time to hang it up. They always say he trained hard. Even when he gasses fast they say "idk what happened, this didn't happen in training camp". But yea he "trained hard".

Get rid of the shitty camp you're in or quit.

Before anyone says anything about Shogun and his world title chances just remember this name, Frank Mir. What he needs is a new camp more then anything. Go to AKA, Alliance MMA or Jackson's and see what happens with Shogun.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Shogun is still young but lets face it everyone loses I don't care how good everyone thinks they are or what they accomplished in the past. If you fight stiff competition at some point someone is going to beat you.

Jon Jones is the only champion with no real defeats on his record but that is only because of the ridiculous size and reach advantage he has over his competition. Shogun struggled against Vera and got destroyed by Jones. I don't understand why anyone is surprised he got beat by Sonnen.

I said it once and I will say it again when you don't fight intelligent yea you will get beat. Fighting balls to the wall is great when you win but when you lose fans will bury you.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

6. Default

Shogun is at least 2 knee surgeries past being able to think more then a fight or two ahead. His best days are behind him now, and no amount of training, inspiration or drive/desire will compensate anymore for the damage his body has taken. Time to take those vanity fights, and begin planning the ride off into the sunset, Id say.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Shogun is still young but lets face it everyone loses I don't care how good everyone thinks they are or what they accomplished in the past. If you fight stiff competition at some point someone is going to beat you.

Jon Jones is the only champion with no real defeats on his record but that is only because of the ridiculous size and reach advantage he has over his competition. Shogun struggled against Vera and got destroyed by Jones. I don't understand why anyone is surprised he got beat by Sonnen.

I said it once and I will say it again when you don't fight intelligent yea you will get beat. Fighting balls to the wall is great when you win but when you lose fans will bury you.
    people are surprised with the way he lost.

It is sad but he will never be champion again. Maybe his only chance is at MW, and still I doubt that he would be champ there.

He took a lot of damage in his career, his knees are fucked up, sadly he is not the same fighter he used to be.

Crocop was also saying everytime that he wanted the belt, that he was very motivated etc etc. Surgeries and damage you took in your career really affect.
    At least Shogun still has a good chin.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Can someone dig up his surgeries for me? I want to know what sort of graphing they did, cadaver or patella or synthetic?

Thread Information