+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC's Jon Jones wants to model future acting career on Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

Default UFC's Jon Jones wants to model future acting career on Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...e-rock-johnson

"I'd like to model my acting career on Dwayne Johnson, the way he came out of [WWE] and started off tough guy roles and then moved over to doing 'Tooth Fairy,'" the 24-year-old Jones told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during an appearance at the UFC's "World Tour" in Los Angeles. "That's when you really saw that he could act, and he's the one I admire and respect a lot, so I know I'd love to model my acting career after (him)."

A scarce few have been able to transition as successfully from the ring to the screen as the former pro wrestler, but several MMA athletes are giving it their best. Randy Couture, Gina Carano, and most recently, UFC women's bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey are working in Hollywood in action movies.

As the youngest-ever UFC champ in history, Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) is no stranger to breaking down barriers. If he beats Gustafsson, he will become the most successful light-heavyweight in the promotion's history. That goal, and securing he and his family's financial future, keeps him focused on fighting. His bout next month against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165 is one more step on his current road.

The champ, however, is also looking life beyond fighting. At the start of this summer, he made the rounds of Hollywood studios and received some positive feedback about a potential acting career.

"Those meetings went great," Jones said. "I realize that they see that I have a little bit of character on me, and with the right training, I could possibly be in some movies in the future.

"As an entertainer, I think acting is one of the highest levels you can get, and right now, I'm doing pretty well in my field, which is the martial arts world. To branch out a little bit and get my feet wet there and maybe prepare myself for a career after this career, I think it's all part of the plan."

The ability to morph from a tough guy to dramatic actor might be the toughest skill Jones has to learn if he decides to jump into a new field, but he said he'll take it as seriously as fight camp.

"I'll definitely take a lot of classes," he said.

1) the tooth fairy showed Bones that the Rock can act...hahahahahahahahahahaha...

2) 35 Bones Jones don't have the charisma that The Rock has in his eyebrow.
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!

You have to have a personality first jon.....

Yes, model your ambitions of a riod junkie with a shitty action career, good call!

Pfff, now anyone who is famous in UFC or WWE can become an actor...
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Regardless of what you think of the rocks acting ability he has made millions in the film industry. Jon would be smart to imitate that. Problem is jones lacks the charisma for the big screen.

I am a sucker for the rock. He actually made me like wrestling again in the late 90's. his movies are fun as well. Anyone would be smart to imitate that level of success.

I actually just watched Pain and Gain, the Rock is definitely growing on me. And his acting seems to be improving. Though, like others have said, he still relies on his natural charisma. And Jones seriously lacks in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Tooth fairy? really? that was acting? that has been one of the rock's most horrible movies... (I have children... I get to see a lot of kids flicks) ... the rock's charisma is way off the charts... not even Hulk Hogan was as succesful as the rock in the movie business... and even then... the rock went back to the wwe to push his hollywood career...

The problem with Jones is that there is absolutely NOTHING endearing about him.

He's possibly the greatest TALENT I've ever seen with physical tools you couldn't draw up on create-a-player but he has the likability of athlete's foot. He seems snide, spoiled, egotistical, and simply childish.

I think the best thing Jones could do right now is to embrace the heel role and come out like an animal. He'd win over so many people it wouldn't be funny. Go for it, you're the baddest man in your sport in your weight class and no one has even come close to finishing you aside from Vitor's sub and you've faced an absolute murderer's row of former champions and prospects.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information