Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald planned for UFC 167

Default Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald planned for UFC 167

Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald planned for UFC 167
    By Brent Brookhouse  @brentbrookhouse on Aug 20 2013, 7:13p

A bout Dana White previously expressed interest in making is now being targeted for UFC 167 as Rory MacDonald takes on Robbie Lawler.

UFC president Dana White had previously stated that the company wanted to make a bout between welterweights Robbie Lawler and Rory MacDonald in the wake of MacDonald's one sided, albeit not overly exciting, win over Jake Ellenberger. The Ellenberger win was Rory's fifth in a row since his lone career loss, a competitive third round stoppage against Carlos Condit at UFC 115.

MMA Junkie is now reporting that the Lalwer vs. MacDonald bout is being targeted for UFC 167:

Several days after UFC President Dana White confirmed that the promotion would book a fight between Rory MacDonald (15-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and Robbie Lawler (21-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC), MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned the fight is targeted for UFC 167, which takes place Nov. 16 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. While verbal agreements are in place, contracts have yet to be signed.
    Lawler has gone 2-0 since his return to the UFC following the closure of Strikeforce, scoring TKOs of Josh Koscheck and Bobby Voelker, but had only gone 3-5 during his time at Strikeforce, dropping fights to Jake Shields, Renato Sobral, Jacare Souza, Tim Kennedy and Lorenz Larkin.

The return to the UFC was also Lawler's return to welterweight which could be a part of his return to success.

UFC 167 is scheduled to be headlined by a bout between Georges St. Pierre and Johny Hendricks for the welterweight title, so it's possible the winners of the two bouts would be paired up for the next title fight.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/8/20...ed-for-ufc-167
    Follow the link for the entire article. This should be a helluva barnburner and a failsafe in case one of the main eventers goes down with an injury.

Dana White introduces both Hendricks and Lawler to his Tonya Harding impression...

More seriously, sounds like an interesting fight. I'm still hesitant as I'm not sold on Lawler being a new man and Rory's last fight left me wanting. But I hope that I'm wrong and it's a barn burner. That is for those of you who live in places with barns to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Follow the link for the entire article. This should be a helluva barnburner and a failsafe in case one of the main eventers goes down with an injury.
    Why do you say that? No way Lawler has earned a title shot, and Rory won't fight GSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Rather see Lawler vs Matt Brown sooo much more!!! but should still be a good fight.

Rory is the obvious favorite,but Robbie can end a fight in a second,his natural KO power is devastating. I could see this fight being similar to Robbie vs. Melvin, where Robbie was getting tuned up and then throws one punch ending the fight. Rory would be wise to take this to the ground,and quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Why do you say that? No way Lawler has earned a title shot, and Rory won't fight GSP.
    IMO, if Hendricks were to go down, either money talks bigtime for Rory or if he still says no, they'll simply shirk logic and rev up the old ZUFFA hyperbole hype machine and feed Robbie to GSP. If GSP were to down, they'll bump up Rory.

I will be rooting for Robbie, but I think that Rory is gonna take this fight to the ground and win the UD. I could see Rory maintaining top game and he might pull off the sub. I would be shocked if Rory kept the fight standing.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

rory is gonna beat him bad but it wont be exciting as rory will be overly cautious trying to avoid the knock out unless he takes the approach he did against mills and just ground and pound the shit out of him but i have a guy feeling it will be a boring decision.

I like Rory but I'd love to see Robbie take this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

10. Default

Rory should win this extremely easy given the two fighters styles.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Thread Information