+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Anderson Silva: No rematch for Belfort

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    18,472

    Default Anderson Silva: No rematch for Belfort

    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...h-for-Belfort/

    Combate.com: You had time to digest the defeat. Today, more than a month after the fight, you think you overdid the provocations?

    Anderson Silva: No. I do not think I overdid anything. The only mistake in this fight was my coach. I had to have taken a step backwards. But it is anyway. Life goes on.

    Combate.com: How did you get the negative reactions of Brazilian fans? Were you surprised? You felt that people who had just hoped for a stumble your criticize you?

    AS: Man, it's hard to talk. It's that thing. This is a cultural harm of Brazilians. They really believe in idols, but the frustrations deposit them. When they do not go well, want to topple the idols. But the work continues. Let's try to bring the belt back to Brazil.

    Combate.com: What changes for this rematch? It will keep the whole team? If not, who goes?
    There will be some changes. What happened was a necessary evil to see where those changes should be. We have to be always changing.

    AS: People confuse things. Think you always have to be well prepared. Sometimes you wake up ill, with some family problem, health, and people think you always have to stop eating to take a picture.

    Combate.com: The success changed the Anderson Silva at something? Harassment bother you? Do you feel tired of fame?

    AS: I think that fame, success, all this comes at some point in life. It's good, important, but it gets in the way too. You lose your private life, your privacy. People confuse things - sometimes you wake up ill, with some family problem, health, and people think you always have to stop eating to take a picture. They do not understand. But I know that this is so, I know this is part of the package.

    Combate.com: You received a lot of criticism because of his fighting style against Weidman. It's something you'll want to change or do exactly the same in the rematch to try to prove you're right?

    AS: Nobody is right, and no one is wrong. I will not change my fighting style.

    Combate.com: At 38, you think you will make ten fights that are in the contract?

    AS: I intend to. We did a whole evaluation and a full schedule so I can make these ten fights. I hope I can, and preferably with victories.

    Combate.com: The superfights against Jon Jones and Georges St-Pierre were discarded by Dana White after the defeat to Weidman. Is your goal now is to regain the middleweight category and move on to accumulate more title defenses?

    AS: My goal now is to focus on the job to begin training camp. Then I will think about revenge, to fight Weidman well and give a show for all the fans of the UFC.

    Combate.com: Cesar Gracie said that from now on we should see a more humane Anderson Silva, missing more and maybe even losing more. What do you think?

    AS: I think of all the people who spoke, he was the wiser. I am a human being, I am susceptible to errors, winning or losing. It's normal. As I said, people form expectations over the idol and when this idol can not play well, people put the frustrations it.

    Combate.com: Already Cesario Bezerra, who trains his boxing in XGym, gave an interview to Combate.com saying they were "three months of work thrown away", is is difficult to work in a team with so many people. How did you get this criticism of him? He goes with you on the team?

    AS: I went to train in XGym when I arrived in Rio de Janeiro, because there is the gym of my master Rogťrio Caműes, who takes care of my physical preparation. Master Cesario was there, and I began training with him. I have a great affection for him. He has a lot of experience, knows what he is talking. Think it is normal to express it. A long time the master Cesario is not my official boxing coach. The Team Nogueira coach is the (Luiz) Dorea, and mine is Edelson (Silva), who is a student of Důrea. Master Cesario is always giving opinion to have a lot of experience, and I think he is accredited for this, because I know very well.

    Combate.com: People always ask to Ronaldo Jacare about a fight between you, and he always says he does not intend to face you. Now he is very well Users ranked in the category, and the duel becomes increasingly possible. Do you consider this impossible fight to happen?

    AS: I'm a guy who, if Iím your friend, Iím your friend, and money or status wonít matter. For me, honor is more worthy than life for me. ĎJacareí or another one, I wouldnít like to fight a friend of mine. But thatís the thing. Iím in a position and I never had to take anything from anyone to get where I am today.

    Combate.com: And the rematch against Vitor Belfort? He thinks that at some point it will happen eventually. And you? He also thinks it will happen one day?

    AS: I think not. What was supposed to be done was done. Of course, we are employees of the UFC, but I donít like to fight against Brazilians. I donít see that possibility.

    Combate: Is Anderson Silva still the best in the world? Or never was? As Anderson Silva, describe yourself today?

    AS: I'm a normal guy. Iím not and never wanted to be the best in the world. People said that about me. I thank them for believing that Iím the best, but I never thought I was the best pound-for-pound. I always fought because I like it, and I was always able to do it with excellence. I was never worried about the belt. And I managed to defend it for seven years. I didnít feel relieved or something like that. Itís hard. You have some pressure on you because of that, you have to keep proving yourself all the time.

  2. Default

    Got it. So Anderson gets his rematch, immediately no less, but Vitor can pound salt? Seems legit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,556

    Default

    I hope he gets knocked out again then he can avoid whoever he wants.
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Got it. So Anderson gets his rematch, immediately no less, but Vitor can pound salt? Seems legit.
    That's the real lesson IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deep down the rabbit hole.
    Posts
    7,074

    Default

    Good thing Silva isn't in charge of making fights.

    Sad to know that is how he feels about fighting Vitor in a rematch.

    I bet he wouldn't land that kick again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    I bet he wouldn't land that kick again.
    No but now he could sure use that kick to set up others.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

    HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    A challenger for a fight getting knocked out in short order is a hell of a lot different than a 6-7 year champion losing his title and being given a chance for redemption. At this point I cannot argue and do not argue against Vitor getting a rematch considering he has all but beat out the other title contenders in the division BUT to make the argument that this is the same as Anderson Silva getting his rematch is quite stretching.
    Even at this point if GSP were to lose, guess what he will be getting a rematch (immediately) as well considering how long he has held the title basically to prove it was no fluke. I think Jose Aldo would likely get the same treatment. The only reason GSP did not get that treatment when he lost to Serra (1st time he won the title) is due to the fact that he just won the title and it was his first defense of the title and he was knocked out. At this point as the dominant champion and reigning for as long as they have these champions will get the preferential treatment when it comes to rematches for titles.
    Vitor has not held gold in his recent run (with the UFC) so the comparisons do not hold water.
    4 LIFE


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,040

    Default

    Actually, your argument discounts the potential for champions, even dominant ones, to be the beneficiary of a "fluke" victory which I would question.

    While I don't consider the situations equal, I think it's abundantly clear that no one was clamoring for Vitor to get an immediate rematch. However, he has earned one and Silva has seen fit to posture himself against it everytime it's mentioned.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    While I don't consider the situations equal, I think it's abundantly clear that no one was clamoring for Vitor to get an immediate rematch. However, he has earned one and Silva has seen fit to posture himself against it everytime it's mentioned.
    Well said, sir. I owe you yet more rep that the system won't allow.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Albany, In
    Posts
    423

    Default

    So it isn't that he doesn't want to fight team mates, he doesn't want to fight anyone within a 3mil square mile radius with a population of 197mil people. OK!

    It sounds ridiculous but in the end Silva fights everyone put in front of him. We may have to hear some strange babble from him but he walks into the cage and fights. I think the issue with a Vitor rematch is that Silva feels he easily took him out and has no other business with Belfort. I'm fine with that as long as Silva isn't the champ.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •