Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellator ready to deal Ben Askren

Default Bellator ready to deal Ben Askren

"I don't think we're going to make an offer at this point," Bjorn Rebney, Bellator MMA chairman and CEO, told ESPN.com. "So I don't see any reason to make anybody sit out.

UFC president Dana White confirmed his interest in speaking with Ben Askren.
    "If Ben's going to go to the UFC, we should speed up that process so he can go fight. I'd love to see Ben versus GSP," Rebney added, referring to Georges St-Pierre.

UFC president Dana White confirmed his interest in speaking with Askren, a member of the 2008 U.S. men's Olympic freestyle wrestling team before entering MMA the next year.

Due in large part to his suffocating "funky" wrestling style honed at the University of Missouri, Askren, 29, hasn't faced much trouble through 12 pro contests. The last one on July 31, Askren's ninth with Bellator, brought about a thumping of Russian Andrey Koreshkov, and kicked off the champion's apparently not-so-restricted free agency.
    http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/95...ufc?src=mobile

I look forward to Askren plying his trade in the UFC, if that's where he ends up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

He's going to be a pain in the ass for anyone he can grab.

Guys like Condit, Diaz, Kampmann, Saffediene, and Brown are going to hate fighting him with his level of control and smothering offense.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Man, I have no idea how to read this. Bellator snatches Tito and Rampage but lets go of Askren without a fight? Is this a real business plan for their target audience? Is this just a ploy to lower his negotiating price?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Man, I have no idea how to read this. Bellator snatches Tito and Rampage but lets go of Askren without a fight? Is this a real business plan for their target audience? Is this just a ploy to lower his negotiating price?
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I think Rebney's comment that he would love to see Askren fight GSP is code for, "Askren is not exciting enough to be part of Bellator and will not sell PPVs or put asses in seats due to his fighting style. He is not worth spending money on the way Michael Chandler and Eddie Alvarez are, and we'd rather let him go and make him the UFC's problem"

It's kinda sad cause Askren is home grown talent of Bellator's. He was bought up there, became the champ, went undefeated and practically cleaned out the division. He should be franchised the way Chandler and Alvarez are. Instead he will be let go because of the financial burden that Viacomm took on with 2 drama queens, and there is no more money in the pockets of Viacom to give to Askren.

Askren must feel fantastic about his employer not being interested in renewing his contract... Ben Askren... the anti Eddie Alvarez...

You would think Bellator would of at least made it sound like they were interested in Askrin to drive up the UFC offer for him.

I think MMA4ever is onto something, Bellator knows Askrin doesnt draw in many fans.

Hmmmm, feels like a chess move.

Looking at some of the recent transactions, I'm curious if there's a paradigm shift in the direction of BFC.

ZUFFA starts building the Women's division, so Bellator cuts ties with their female fighters.

Bellator states that they don't want to pick up UFC's leftovers, but they have Tito, Rampage, Matt Riddle, Paul Sass, Marcus Janitor(who is a decent sign), frigging Houston Alexander among others on their roster. Meanwhile, a couple Russian prospects haven't been used yet and that's a region where they can mine many gems, as with the regional Brazilian promotions to find and hopefully develop prospects to help the brand.

They've already lost two of their dominant champions in Lombard and Konrad and now they might not make a play for Askren? I dunno, this feels like a ploy to try to get ZUFFA to throw a lowball that they'll obviously match. Kinda seems like the Viacom guys aren't too sure what direction they're going in. I like seeing them pick up Diego Nunes, but at the same time, this company employs bloody War Machine....

IMO, their strongest and most consistent division is 145, where they've got a helluva lot of fun and exciting high caliber fighters and I like both the BW and LW rosters, although I think there's going to be problems finding guys to get close to Chandler.

I'll be interested to see what BFC does, maybe placing greater focal points on the lighter classes since they're so deep and maybe laying off the sluggish HWs? I see Askren as an integral part of BFC's future as they grow because he has credibility, but ultimately, he'll need to go to the UFC to fight the top WWs and really show where he stands.

I still say they should look to book Askren/Hieron II.

Sounds like the same model tna has been operating under. Trample home grown talent for the sake of washed up stars with name value.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

i don't see bellator letting him go. He is getting better in mma his last two have ended with a tko (of the sort) and thats hella good for Ben

Thread Information