Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Askren: Idea that GSP is best wrestler is insane

Default Askren: Idea that GSP is best wrestler is insane

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ler-is-insane/

Many fans and media have called Georges St-Pierre the best wrestler in MMA despite the fact that St-Pierre never wrestled competively. The notion however, is INSANE, if you ask Bellator champion and Olympic wrestler Ben Askren:

The notion that he's the best wrestler is insane to me. He's got a great double leg and good timing, but just watching him, you see a lot of areas he's just not a natural wrestler. He doesn't flow as well as other wrestlers. If Johny Hendricks is training his wrestling, which that's a mistake that a lot of wrestlers make is they get out of it and they think they got to get better at striking and jiu jitsu and they totally forget about their wrestling. I did that for a couple of months earlier in my career and I learned. But they totally step away from wrestling and they get so rusty and they lose a lot of those battles. If Johny Hendricks is staying on point and getting some wrestling in, which hopefully he's smart enough to do, he'll definitely outwrestle Georges St. Pierre.

This ain't wrestlin'. This is MMA.
    this is about winnin' fights. GSP will keep u on your feet eating jabs till he decides you've had enough.
    thanks for comin out Ben.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Exactly. When that is written or said about GSP, it is referring to "MMA wrestling".

So Ben, how do you explain GSP dominating Josh Koscheck? Jay Hieron? And any other top wrestlers that he has fought?

Question for members here;
    How does Askren stack up against the aforementioned wrestlers, in a "MMA-wrestling" sense?

dimerules28 Guest

I have a question for Ben.. He always says wrestling is the most dominant martial art. But didnt UFC 1 prove otherwise. If you only know how to wrestle amd dont know anything about Jiu-jitsu you would get tapped out.. Does this make sense? Or is my logic fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    How does Askren stack up against the aforementioned wrestlers, in a "MMA-wrestling" sense?
    I'd put him near the top
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I would love to see Askren come over and be greeted by Carlos Condit in a 5 rd welcome party.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Exactly. When that is written or said about GSP, it is referring to "MMA wrestling".

So Ben, how do you explain GSP dominating Josh Koscheck? Jay Hieron? And any other top wrestlers that he has fought?

You haven't seen the Hieron fight have you? GSP only had one or 2 takedown attempts that were easily stuffed . He just completely worked him on the feet. The first Koscheck fight I think kos was just surprised by gsps wrestling and got caught off guard. In the rematch the wrestling was very even.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Askren is talking to a minority of uneducated fans who make inaccurate blanket statements. I don't know that I've ever seen any credible sources saying Georges is the best wrestler in MMA, or even at welterweight.

I've seen credible sources say "Georges uses his wrestling better than anyone else at WW" which would be more or less accurate. Georges has great TD, top control and passes, but his greatest stills are his transitions between disciplines and the versatility that he brings to the table. There are far better pure wrestlers. There are far better pure strikers. There currently isn't anyone who mixes everything together as fluidly.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    I have a question for Ben.. He always says wrestling is the most dominant martial art. But didnt UFC 1 prove otherwise. If you only know how to wrestle amd dont know anything about Jiu-jitsu you would get tapped out.. Does this make sense? Or is my logic fucked.
    I think your half right here man, but not completely. I will at this point admit I train BJJ, but I'll try to approach this fairly.
    UFC 1 proved that, if a martial artist is to only train one martial art, BJJ was the most effective form. This was partly because of the statistical advantage it already had in that most fights end up - through intention or accident - on the ground (I've read 90%, but I think it's hard to put a figure on, but also something that is quite clear to see).

MMA has evolved a whole lot in 20 years, and I think that Joe Rogan was right when he said that wrestling is simply the best base to have. Gone are the days of mixed martial artists (which is actually almost the polar opposite of what the fighters were in UFC 1) only training art, so if you have solid wrestling along with BJJ defence (at least), then you and a good hence of doing well.

As for Askren, he's right in that we have seen guys neglect their wrestling in the past, but the ways to win are so few when you're fighting GSP, and even more so when you've only really got one anyway. If and when this fight takes place, I just see Askren eating jab sandwiches all night, because I think GSP is at least defensively strong enough a wrestler, even if he cant take Ben down. If that's true, then I think it'll stay standing, and I don't think Askren's got a whole lot to offer on the feet.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Thread Information