Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Weidman: P*ssed off Silva will be easier to beat

I can't wait for this fight just to see how Anderson Silva attempts to rebound from a loss. It's been a long time since he's been in this position, so it'll be interesting to see if he makes any of the necessary adjustments to his training and/or technique (yes by keeping his hands up).

If he comes in like he did in his last rebound fights, I'd say he'll come out with the title. Then again those fights were 7-8 years ago, and Silva is a bit more cautious in the first round now. Either way, I'm also excited to see if Weidman can find success again and prove that it wasn't the fluke that some people say it was.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    For about as long as he's enjoyed reach advantages on his opponents. That played a huge role in his miscalculations, in my opinion.

This will be interesting. No telling how a fighter reacts to a loss, reacts to losing a belt.
    I'm certain Anderson will make adjustments, it's a question of what they will be--and whether Weidman will be able to anticipate them and make adjustments of his own.

If Anderson pulls a BJ Penn and listens to guys who tell him he was "winning" that first round--or worse, dominating/making Weidman look bad, etc--he's in for a bad night. He'll need to adapt to get the belt back.

How awesome would it be if Anderson came out to Redemption Song?

rh
    I can't argue with the reach statement, but it's still the way he has fought every time. I think the big miscalculation was the fact that he took the showboating, mind games, whatever you want to call it to the next level which reached stupidity. I don't mind seeing him taunt the guys, and play some games to suck them into his plan, but that was ridiculous!

I agree. I am very interested to see how he rebounds from this one and what changes are made. Does the showboating stop? Hands up?

I 150% agree with the BJ statement. As a HUGE BJ fan, his yes men really screwed up something that could have been great.

Nice!
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    I can't argue with the reach statement, but it's still the way he has fought every time. I think the big miscalculation was the fact that he took the showboating, mind games, whatever you want to call it to the next level which reached stupidity. I don't mind seeing him taunt the guys, and play some games to suck them into his plan, but that was ridiculous!

I agree. I am very interested to see how he rebounds from this one and what changes are made. Does the showboating stop? Hands up?

I 150% agree with the BJ statement. As a HUGE BJ fan, his yes men really screwed up something that could have been great.

Nice!
    He doesn't always fight the same. He didn't fight Vitor the way he fought Maia, Griffin and Weidman. You can't clown like that against dangerous strikers. Professional boxers like RJJ have tried it and gotten KTFO for their troubles.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Chris Weidman: Anderson Silva isn't a 'mythical creature,' just another 'human guy I’m better than'

To Weidman, Silva was -- and still is -- just another fellow human. One who he proved he's better than, which he emphasized in the upcoming issue of Fighters Only Magazine (via Sherdog):

"So many people build Anderson up and he's almost thought of as this mythical creature. That he could beat six guys at once, and he could knock me out any time he wants to. People really have these crazy thoughts about him, they actually think he's, like, beyond great. But, to me he's only ever just been another human guy, and one that I think I'm better than."

After his loss to "All American," Silva declared he had no interest in a rematch. But, after having a few days to reflect, "The Spider" had a change of heart and signed on the dotted line for another "Sin City" showdown against the undefeated champion at UFC 168 on Dec. 28, 2013.

Something Weidman new would eventually happen despite the Brazilian's initial hesitation:

"He has to fight me to get himself back on track, and I knew he wasn't going to retire, so, yeah, his only option is to have the rematch. Once he took a couple of days and started thinking straight again, it was inevitable we were going to agree to a second fight. And I know he'll come back stronger, better and more determined to beat me, but I'll be ready for that."
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/22/46...l-creature-mma

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    He doesn't always fight the same. He didn't fight Vitor the way he fought Maia, Griffin and Weidman. You can't clown like that against dangerous strikers. Professional boxers like RJJ have tried it and gotten KTFO for their troubles.
    Much of the Vitor fight was different, true, but Vitor was also unwilling to engage and is very fast. There was only one big flurry from Vitor and, if you watch, Anderson drops his hands and purely uses his head movement in that moment. So there are definitely real similarities between how Anderson fought Vitor and Weidman once you acknowledge the difference in opponents' style.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post

His style doesn't change much at all. The amount of clowning is what changes. Obviously it won't be exactly the same because it's not the exact same opponent. But the general style is the same.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

LOL at people thinking Anderson wasn't getting beat up on the ground in the 1st. Yes, it was not the worst GnP beating by far, but an honest Anderson will tell you it hurt. That's why he started the clowning and he actually sucked Weidman into his game, but still got popped...KOed. Again, not the worst ever, but he didn't get up immediately.

Silva loses again...nuff said

The Anderson Silva who was focused on landing shots like when he fought Forrest Griffin would be the Anderson Silva who wins the rematch. His movements in that fight was perfect, he didn't over commit to any movement, nearly every shot that missed barely missed and left huge windows for Anderson to counter. I'd like to see him add stiff under jab to his arsenal, ala Tommy Hearns. I think a flicking under jab would disrupt a lot of Wiedman's combos. Chris is deceptively fast, but he does miss a lot. Silva failed to really capitalize on that. If he makes Weidman pay everytime he misses, this fight will be VERY one sided. Chris better SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT and take this to the ground A.S.A.P.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    His style doesn't change much at all. The amount of clowning is what changes. Obviously it won't be exactly the same because it's not the exact same opponent. But the general style is the same.
    The amount of clowing is exactly what I am referring to. This is part of his style and he uses it to bait opponents who have subpar striking. He spends the first minute of each fight sizing up his opponent to decide which strategy he wants to use.

He doesn't use the same tactic in every fight regardless of popular believe. Those who think otherwise probably haven't studied his fights enough.

Sometimes he will just box, sometimes he will focus more on his MT, sometimes he will focus on leg kicks (usually when his striking is off), and sometimes he will fight close to the cage so if he gets takendown he can get back up. If Vitor was a bad example you can substitute Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen and even Stephan Bonnar.

He is perfectly capable of fighting the way he did back in Pride (with his hands up).
    Last edited by roaddawg; 08-24-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Thread Information