Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Mir and Ben Rothwell Receive TRT Exemptions for UFC 164

Default Frank Mir and Ben Rothwell Receive TRT Exemptions for UFC 164

Frank Mir and Ben Rothwell Receive TRT Exemptions for UFC 164

A new fighter has been added to the list of MMA competitors with permission to use testosterone-replacement therapy (TRT).

UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell applied for and received a therapeutic use exemption to use TRT in advance of UFC 164, a representative with the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Heavyweight Frank Mir also received an exemption for the event, which takes places Aug. 31 at Bradley Center in Milwaukee. The ex-UFC champ previously got permission to use TRT for a fight against then-champ Junior dos Santos at UFC 146. It's unknown whether he received any additional exemptions in earlier fights.

Rothwell and Mir were unavailable for comment at the time of this writing. Brandon Vera (12-6 MMA, 8-6 UFC), who fights Rothwell (32-9 MMA, 2-3 UFC) on the event's pay-per-view main card, simply said, "It won't help."

Former UFC champ Josh Barnett (32-6 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights Mir (16-7 MMA, 14-7 UFC), couldn't be reached for comment. But his manager, Leland LaBarre, said, "Josh has not requested or will he request any type of exemption whatsoever."

Earlier this month, MMAjunkie.com filed a public records request with the WDSPS, whose chief legal counsel, Michael J. Berndt, supplied a response.

Rothwell most recently appeared in the octagon at UFC on FX 7, where Gabriel Gonzaga submitted him in the second round. In five appearances with the promotion, he has hopscotched between wins and losses.

Mir most recently fought at UFC on FOX 7, where he lost a unanimous decision to Daniel Cormier in a lackluster affair. It was his second straight defeat, which included a TKO loss to dos Santos at UFC 146.

Other currently known users of TRT include Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen and Dan Henderson.

Initially neutral on TRT use, UFC President Dana White took a hard line against hormone therapy earlier this year, promising to "test the s--t" out of anyone using it and expressing his wish that athletic commissions would ban the treatment.

In June, the California State Athletic Commission put on hold all applications for TRT exemptions. It plans to rewrite its policies to make the approval process stricter.

and MMA dies just a little more.

Soooooo, remember when people started asking questions about Rothwell's drastically improved physique a while back. Hmmmm.

Yeah fed. That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Sad day.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

It's the fighters who aren't going through the proper channels to obtain testosterone that are the ones who people should be worried about. Those are the ones who are juiced to the gills. Hello Overeem?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    It's the fighters who aren't going through the proper channels to obtain testosterone that are the ones who people should be worried about. Those are the ones who are juiced to the gills. Hello Overeem?
    Agreed

At the same time though all these fighter needing TRT kind of makes you think they were using PED's in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Agreed

At the same time though all these fighter needing TRT kind of makes you think they were using PED's in the past
    Or some of them are old.

Speculation is one thing but assumptions are another.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Agreed

Like how did Frank Mir get so huge after he lost to Lesnar, after he said he needed to get bigger to compete with the new HWs that are much bigger. Suddenly he's not quite as big (I think after the Carwin fight IIRC), and 2 years later he's getting TRT.

If the doctor says it's ok and the commission says it's ok, than it's not cheating and I'm ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information