Thread: Brian Bowles Suspended 9 Months for Failed Drug Test

Default Brian Bowles Suspended 9 Months for Failed Drug Test

Brian Bowles Suspended 9 Months for Failed Drug Test

Following a his failed post fight drug test at UFC 160 Brian Bowles has been suspended 9 months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

If testosterone were measured on a 1-10 scale, Bowles would have turned the dial up to 11. Tested with a reported testosterone ratio of 20:1, he came in higher than Chael Sonnen at 17:1, or Alistair Overeem with his measly 14:1. Since Bowles lost his fight against George Roop no action was taken to overturn the fight result, however bjpenn.com reports that following a hearing last week Bowles has been fined and suspended.

The fine totals $5,700 dollars, not a large amount but over a quarter of Bowles' reported fight purse. His suspension is 9-months retroactive from his fight in May, so three months are already in the books. It's still a big setback for a fighter who has already spent the better part of the past two years on ice following numerous hand injuries and a loss to Urijah Faber at UFC 139. For a fighter just at the north end of his prime and with a seven year career Bowles still only has 13 fights to his name. Given that he'll be able to compete again by early next year I expect we'll be seeing him fight as soon as possible.

Surprisingly, and despite living and training out of Athens Georgia, Bowles did show up at his NSAC licensing hearing last week, ultimately stating that he had no idea why or how he failed the test and that at no point did he take any testosterone "knowningly or willingly."

"I just want to apologise to the athletic commission," said Bowles. "It's embarrassing to me and it's embarrassing to the sport."

"I swear on my mother's life I was not shooting testosterone," Bowles said. "It blew my mind when I heard how high my ratios were. I went and looked through everything. I didn't have a lot of money because I wasn't fighting. I was taking less supplements than I normally do."(via ESPN)
    No news yet as to whether he'll appeal the suspension although unless he can pinpoint a specific supplement or treatment that he received that would cause a failed test an appeal would be unlikely to be successful.

Should be 2yrs 9months is a joke he wouldn't have a fight before then anyways o.0

he's done fighting any how keeps breaking his hands

Roids in the water? Crazy girlfriend, spurned training partner or angry coach?

Thread Information