Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlei Silva won't fight Chael Sonnen unless he receives PPV points

1. Default

smart that would be a major payday.

Chael---sells PPV better than anyone
    Wandy--fan fav
    GSP--one of fhs largest draw in UFC history
    Big Rig---The new UFC WW strap holder
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

My first reaction is that seems totally reasonable to me; Wandy is a fan favorite and will help bring in the crowd. But knowing how much viewership GSP/Hendricks will generate, it may be that there isn't much of an additional fanbase for Wandy to draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    My first reaction is that seems totally reasonable to me; Wandy is a fan favorite and will help bring in the crowd. But knowing how much viewership GSP/Hendricks will generate, it may be that there isn't much of an additional fanbase for Wandy to draw.
    You make a good point... But, even if GSP Hendricks draws in the majority of the viewers, I bet Wandy Sonnen steals the show for excitement. GSP may draw the fans in but the Wandy Sonnen fight will hopefully leave them talking about that fight for days after.

You make a good point... But, even if GSP Hendricks draws in the majority of the viewers, I bet Wandy Sonnen steals the show for excitement. GSP may draw the fans in but the Wandy Sonnen fight will hopefully leave them talking about that fight for days after.
    Likewise a good point. I believe that if GSP jabs Hendricks to death or lays on a gassed Hendricks then only the hardcores will be discussing it the next day to reference GSP's legacy. But a Wandy fight almost always has an awesome highlight for everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

It goes down to economics... forget about fairness, Wandy doesn't outdraw GSP... why should he get $$$ on GSP's drawing power? I think he would have much better leverage if it were on a Jose Aldo or Ben Henderson PPV...but then again, he wouldn't be making the same kind of bank.

I guess it's a problem to stack this fight onto the GSP title fight ppv. Just put it on another PPV.

The man has been in the UFC for over five years and at best he beat one top ten guy. He only fight 2 times a years. There is not a fight you could make with Wandy that would make be want to spend cash so he needs a full card of better then good fights below him to sell a ppv.
    all of that to me means he is not worth the ppv points.

I'm not sure what I love more about this thread:

The fact that I'd never heard the expression PPV 'points' before, and yet everyone seems to be using it like it's old news. You learn something new...

Or that everyone completely ignored the drunk idiot at the beginning of the thread and just continued on with a great discussion which had me changing opinions back and forth throughout.

Good work mmanews posters!

May have been drunk but far from being an idiot.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Truth is, Sonnen took smurf farts and that's how he beat Shogun. Don't go making a big deal, cuz it's not a banned substance according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Thread Information