Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlei Silva won't fight Chael Sonnen unless he receives PPV points

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    The way I view the "street fight" situation is that Wandy was posturing when he know a fight wasn't gonna happen (no same high profile fighter is going to get into a street fight with a guy on crutches), but when the same guy that he was threating calls him out, he is the one that treats it like a business (which it is). It's kinda like someone saying "I'll kick your ass" on Facebook, and then threatening to call the cops if you suggest a meeting place. I have nothing against a guy trying to get his fair shake, but the timing for such demands is just odd considering his documented feelings towards his prospective opponent.
    More like Chael was talking a whole lot of shit about Wanderlei's brazilian buddies to the media and behind peoples back, so Wanderlei confronted him strait up and told him he can't be disrespectful like that, which led Chael to shut his mouth and sitting there. If anything Chael was the one talking shit on Facebook and Wanderlei showed up at his doorstep to set things strait.

This had me laughing so hard. Wandy is a crazy, crazy man. I wish Wandy could fight Chael in prime form and this pissed off.

My opinion on what happened in the van is that Sonnen wasn't gonna fight a man on crutches, get arrested, and ruin his career. I don't think anybody would have did anything any differently. It doesn't mean Wandy put Sonnen in his place. Sonnen obviously was pissed off about it, and he still holds a grudge about it. Obviously fighting right now isn't gonna do much for Sonnen besides settle that grudge. Biting his tongue was the only reasonable option, and it had to suck. Riv made some good points, but I simply can not see how Sonnen could have handled that situation any differently.

I feel like that video kinda proved some of my points. I GET THAT A PERSON MAY WANT TO GET PAID MORE, AND MAY TAKE STEPS TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN. That being said, a lot of people are acting like Wandy is a wild man who just wants to rip Sonnen's face off, and that's cool. If he wants Sonnen so freaking bad then why let anything stand in the way. A bump in pay didn't stop him from fighting Stann who I'm sure he didn't loathe half as much as he does Sonnen. I'm not bashing Wandy as a tough guy, and I'm not hating on him for wanting more money. I just have a huge problem with how some people are viewing what's going on in this back and forth between them.

I view it as when Wandy wanted to "fight" it was incredibly unrealistic, and when Sonnen wants to make a fair, legal fight happen, wandy is holding it up. If Wandy was willing to fight him for free and screw up his life in the process then surely that wild man should be happy to do so legally and for his current pay. If not then that doesn't take anything away from Wandy, it just means that he is smart, he isn't the wild man that some of you think he is (that isn't saying that he isn't a legendary fighter with an insane fighting style), and maybe just maybe he doesn't want to fight Sonnen as badly as he has made it seem.
    Last edited by The Donosaur; 08-24-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

If this fight was in Brazil, than he absolutely should ask for points. I don't see anything wrong with a fighter recognizing the value of a fight and trying to better position himself. The UFC is only interested in making a profit, possible at the expense of Wandi's health. That's called the fight business. Wandi has an obligation to himself and his family to negotiate the most favorable terms he can. I think the Sonnen fight is very winnable for Wandi, as Sonnen doesn't have the TNT in his hands to hurt him and Wandi has very good TDD. Being the first man to truly starch Sonnen would be a huge victory and maybe a swan song for Wandi. I'd love to see that fight.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

See I agree with that. What I don't understand is how people are viewing the same guy in two different lights. I don't see how someone can think that he would both fight for free just because he dislikes the other guy, and refuse to fight because he isn't getting paid enough. It is a freaking contradiction! There is nothing wrong with either of those things, but they don't fit together when addressing one man with the same opponent in both situations.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Likewise a good point. I believe that if GSP jabs Hendricks to death or lays on a gassed Hendricks then only the hardcores will be discussing it the next day to reference GSP's legacy. But a Wandy fight almost always has an awesome highlight for everyone!
    GSP is getting KTFO. Im thinking that fight wont make it to the 3rd leaving a bitter taste in fans mouth. They may as well stack the card.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

My opinion on what happened in the van is that Sonnen wasn't gonna fight a man on crutches, get arrested, and ruin his career. I don't think anybody would have did anything any differently. It doesn't mean Wandy put Sonnen in his place. Sonnen obviously was pissed off about it, and he still holds a grudge about it. Obviously fighting right now isn't gonna do much for Sonnen besides settle that grudge. Biting his tongue was the only reasonable option, and it had to suck. Riv made some good points, but I simply can not see how Sonnen could have handled that situation any differently.
    I thought sonnen was scared.
    I think outside of a cage, with refs and points and someone pulling you off a guy for pulling his eye out of it's socket, Wandi KILLS sonnen. I don't even think it's close.
    I don't think sonnen took a high road, I think he was suddenly confronted with someone who isn't playing his game with the media and took his nonsense all together too seriously.

I feel like that video kinda proved some of my points. I GET THAT A PERSON MAY WANT TO GET PAID MORE, AND MAY TAKE STEPS TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN. That being said, a lot of people are acting like Wandy is a wild man who just wants to rip Sonnen's face off, and that's cool. If he wants Sonnen so freaking bad then why let anything stand in the way. A bump in pay didn't stop him from fighting Stann who I'm sure he didn't loathe half as much as he does Sonnen. I'm not bashing Wandy as a tough guy, and I'm not hating on him for wanting more money. I just have a huge problem with how some people are viewing what's going on in this back and forth between them.
    Stann wasn't getting paid more than Wandi. sonnen will be. I believe--and I certainly don't know what's going on in either fighter's heads, this is all just conjecture--that if Wandi is taking a fight with a fighter who is a bad matchup under adverse conditions, he wants to be compensated...again, commensurate to his value.

I view it as when Wandy wanted to "fight" it was incredibly unrealistic, and when Sonnen wants to make a fair, legal fight happen, wandy is holding it up.
    This is the crux of where it breaks down.
    You see a streetfight as unfair. I don't think Wandi does. I believe he sees it as a logical response to what sonnen does, which can be seen as crossing a line.

If Wandy was willing to fight him for free and screw up his life in the process then surely that wild man should be happy to do so legally and for his current pay.
    Surely?

Again, I don't see the connection.
    When Wandi stops to consider things, he's bringing a lot of hype to the bout, but sonnen is the only one getting paid for it.

This is a very simple question: do you have a problem with sonnen getting points?
    Because sonnen has accomplished virtually nothing in MMA except talk. He's never held a major title, he's never defended a major title. His biggest contribution is rehashed soundbytes from dead WWF guys who aren't even around to sue him for plagiarism. Sure, he'll fight anyone--particularly if that fight is a title shot at a weight where he'd never even won a single bout. And it wasn't that long ago that he was a worse human blanket than Koscheck, Sheilds and Georges put together.

undeniably, he sells PPV buys. But what is the biggest fight that sonnen actually managed to win?

On the flipside, Wandi is a legend in the sport, an absolute lock for any All-MMA Hall of Fame that is worth a shit. His roots are deep, his highlight reel is long and overflowing with gorgeous brutality. He'll also fight on little-to-no notice, and he's won 3 OTN bonuses in his last 3 fights.

So what do you value more: unoriginal, plagiarized talk, or fighting?

If not then that doesn't take anything away from Wandy, it just means that he is smart, he isn't the wild man that some of you think he is (that isn't saying that he isn't a legendary fighter with an insane fighting style), and maybe just maybe he doesn't want to fight Sonnen as badly as he has made it seem.
    I don't think Wandi is some savage, but I think he has passion. It shows in his fights. He'll lose a fight by taking risks that someone like Georges, or Jones, or dozens of the newer, conservative breed would never take. Because passion drives him.

so when sonnen talks about his friends, and the physical opportunity represents itself, Wandi would have jumped at the chance to address that.

But when you superimpose a structure of rules and payscales and shitty officiating, he has time to reflect on all the peripherals involved. And he wants to get paid.

See I agree with that. What I don't understand is how people are viewing the same guy in two different lights. I don't see how someone can think that he would both fight for free just because he dislikes the other guy, and refuse to fight because he isn't getting paid enough. It is a freaking contradiction! There is nothing wrong with either of those things, but they don't fit together when addressing one man with the same opponent in both situations.
    I think the do. Sure, it's a contradiction on the surface, but I don't think they're that difficult to reconcile.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I view the street fight as unfair because he was on crutches.

The biggest fight he has won is probably Shogun.

I was being a bit over the top for the people who think that Silva is always the wild man. In reality I understand that he may think differently when he has time to think, but at the same time there is a certain level of showmanship that is apparently coming with videos and soundbites like the one above. There is nothing wrong with that, but it's also exactly what Sonnen does, and a lot of people that hate Sonnen for it, love Wanderlei.

That video was Wandy finally playing the same game Sonnen does. He even requests a 5 round main event, so he in can have 30 minutes to punch him. But, clearly, a main event is the only way Wandy gets points.

RH - I think those comments are pretty biased. Saying the only thing Sonnen has accomplished is talk completely disregards both his high level of success and the fact that his recent losses have been to two of the most dominant champions in history. Sonnen may not be a HOF'er but he's a solid fighter with real accomplishments in the sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

I don't understand how someone has to hate one fighter and love the other. Sure there are guys I root extra hard for, but I don't hate there competition. Maybe I am getting old but I try to look at most fights like the Super Bowl last year. I didn't really care about who won I just wanted to see a great game. I respect both wandy and chael's skillsets. That is what I like about mma. I don't have to be depressed when the chiefs lose. It really has made me focus more on the sport and the beauty of competing and less on the w or l. May or may not be making sense, that is the question. My two cents.

Thread Information