Thread: Former title challengers Josh Koscheck, Tyron Woodley meet at UFC 167 in Vegas

Default Former title challengers Josh Koscheck, Tyron Woodley meet at UFC 167 in Vegas

Former title challengers Josh Koscheck, Tyron Woodley meet at UFC 167 in Vegas
    by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm ET

A pair of welterweights with extensive wrestling backgrounds looking for important rebound victories have been booked to meet this fall.

Former UFC title challenger Josh Koscheck (17-7 MMA, 15-7 UFC) will meet former Strikeforce title challenger Tyron Woodley (11-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at UFC 167 in November. UFC officials announced the fight booking on Thursday.

UFC 167 takes place Nov. 16 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card, featuring a welterweight title fight between champion Georges St-Pierre and top contender Johny Hendricks, airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook. Koscheck vs. Woodley is likely to be part of the main card.

Koscheck has dropped two straight fights and will be coming back from an injury that kept him out of a planned bout at UFC 163 against Demian Maia earlier this month. In May 2012, the veteran of the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter" had a two-fight win streak snapped by Hendricks with a split-decision loss. He followed that up with a first-round TKO loss to Robbie Lawler at UFC 157 for the first losing skid of his career.

Woodley, who fought Nate Marquardt for the vacant Strikeforce 170-pound title in July 2012, debuted in the UFC in a big way in February when he knocked out Jay Hieron in just 36 seconds. But in June, at UFC 161, he dropped a split decision to fellow former Strikeforce standout Jake Shields in a fight that was derided for a lack of excitement.

Both Koscheck and Woodley were collegiate All-American wrestlers. Koscheck was a four-time All-American who in 2001 won an NCAA title at 174 pounds for Edinboro (Pa.) University. And Woodley was a two-time All-American and a Big 12 champion at Missouri.

With the addition, the UFC 167 card now includes:
    Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks
    Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald
    Josh Koscheck vs. Tyron Woodley

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...c-167-in-vegas
    What's the over/under on the number of eyepokes T-Wood eats?

I like this fight. I think T-Wood takes this.

Popcorn and blankets ladies and gents cause thees'e 2 wanks are gunna give us a snooozer.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Popcorn and blankets ladies and gents cause thees'e 2 wanks are gunna give us a snooozer.
    Really? You think it's gonna go down like T-Wood and Shields fight?
    I think Koscheck is the better wrestler, athlete, and striker, to take T-Wood. If Koscheck learns to get rid of his inflated ego, and fight smart, he can win this any way he wants. T-Wood, while having great wrestling himself, isn't as explosive, and at times not an aggressive striker to give Kos fits.

6. Default

I dont see any way Kos loses this fight. A BIG step up in competition for Woodley though, thats for sure. If he can put Kos to sleep, and Im beginning to question Kos' chin, it opens a lot of doors.

What to do with Cabbage patch if he loses?? There's no way Dana cuts him, but 0-3, against a declining level of competition... Does he get the retirement nudge? Most of the rest of his "class" from TUF have gone the way of the dinosaur..

What about a loss for Woodley? I wouldnt be suprised to see him given his walking papers, especially if its an uninspired fight.

Oh and Ricky Spanish, welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    What's the over/under on the number of eyepokes T-Wood eats?
    Just less than the amount of eye pokes and illegal knees Kosccheck will claim to be hit with. Koscheck has 2 loses in a row, it is believed that he will pull out all the stops for this fight. Word on the street is that he may milk some phantom groin shots, for good measure.

Ah, a philosophical question akin to another.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

If Koscheck gets cut, will anyone care?

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Oh and Ricky Spanish, welcome.

Lol thnx man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    If Koscheck gets cut, will anyone care?
    Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information