Thread: JDS’ coach: Cain Velasquez’s 'ability to take a punch is his weakness'

Default JDS’ coach: Cain Velasquez’s 'ability to take a punch is his weakness'

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/23...s-his-weakness

"I have no doubt that we will get closer to the knockout as soon as ‘Cigano’ lands one or two punches," Luiz Carlos Dorea told MMAFighting.com. "Cain’s ability to take a punch is his weakness, and that’s what we will explore in this fight."

"Cigano" needed only 64 seconds to end Velasquez’s undefeated run at UFC on FOX on Nov. 12, 2011, and Dorea is confident the fight will play out the same way next month.

"Cain is a complete fighter, deserves our respect, but ‘Cigano’ is stronger and more durable," he said. "The best way to win this fight is work on the punches, and we know the title is coming back to Brazil."

One year after the first bout, Dos Santos fought Velasquez for the second time and suffered his first loss in the UFC in a five-round beating from the American Kickboxing Academy product.

"Cigano" had divorced his wife before competing at UFC 155, and Dorea guarantees his protégé will be "100 percent focused" on the fight this time.

"What happened outside the cage is in the past, we’re sure he will get the win this time," he said. "We are confident. ‘Cigano’ is a great athlete. In the first fight, ‘Cigano’ knocked him out. In the second fight, he showed he can resist punishment for five rounds. ‘Cigano’ is a well-rounded fighter, he showed he has knockout power and a great chin. We will fight against a great champion, but ‘Cigano’ has learned a lot from that loss."

Doesn't sound much different than his last strategy. I don't believe Cain has a weak chin, a well placed shot in the HW division knocks out most.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Cain will come very agressive since the beginning looking to set up the takedown with punches. Hopefully Cigano and his coach have a good strategy in mind, because otherwise it may be the exact same fight.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    Doesn't sound much different than his last strategy. I don't believe Cain has a weak chin, a well placed shot in the HW division knocks out most.
    I agree man. A lot of these comments are based on Cain getting caught by JDS in the first fight, and being rocked by Kongo multiple times in their fight. Cain's ability to recoup and push forward after getting Kongo'd was very impressive, and I don't think getting rocked or knocked out by two 240lbs, 6ft 4, experienced strikers is anything to be ashamed of.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

JDS's has a rock solid chin and great cardio. Outside of that, he was totally outclassed in all aspects in the last fight. Cain is the better fighter, so JDS better come out fast and hard or it will wind up the same way. It will be interesting to see what kind of strategy these guys come back with.

Thread Information