Thread: Carlos Condit Says Johny Hendricks Has a “Puncher’s Chance” to Beat Georges St-Pierre

Default Carlos Condit Says Johny Hendricks Has a “Puncher’s Chance” to Beat Georges St-Pierre

http://www.mmaweekly.com/carlos-cond...rre-at-ufc-167

Former UFC welterweight interim titleholder Carlos Condit has fought both St-Pierre and Hendricks and was asked his opinion on the title bout during a recent edition of UFC Tonight.

“I think Johny Hendricks has a puncher’s chance,” said Condit. “He’s obviously a big puncher. He’s got the power to make it a short night for GSP, but I feel like GSP is going to out-technique Johny Hendricks.”
    While Hendricks has the advantage in punching power, Condit believes it will be St-Pierre’s wrestling that will be the determining factor in the fight.

“I think his wrestling, and I’m not an expert on wrestling, but I think his wrestling is going to make the difference and Georges is going to be able to take him down and control the fight,” he said.

Matt Serra had a punchers chance...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Everybody is always the guy who'll end GSP's reign one way or another and then they end up being utterly snuffed out and suffocated into looking like mere mortals.

After the Matt Serra loss, I think GSP's maybe lost a couple of rounds(possibly one in the first Kos fight and MAYBE one or two when he fought with one eye against Rake Shields). Every WW has looked like the next WW champ until they meet Georges, then they become just another soulless former #1 contender. He's going to dominate Hendricks, give him minimal opportunities, utilize superior overall skills and make Hendricks look like he doesn't belong. He'll do the same to Maia and Askren and Kampmann and (stifles laugh) Matt Brown and whoever else they care throw down the pipe. Rory and Gunnar are the only two down the line that I think potentially give him trouble, but I don't see GSP staying around much longer, since he's said his camps aren't sustainable and he wants a life beyond them.

Johny's going to be eating jabs all night and will probably be working off his back eating elbows. Same fight, same result as always. Hendricks is really good and he's a helluva puncher, but I basically give him a punchers' chance in the sense that that is the only area of the fight I see him outdoing GSP in. Everywhere else, it's Georges world and that big punch is it.

I think Hendricks is a legit contender, but I think the biggest thing going for him right now is what happened to GSP's Knee. If GSP is back to what he was before the injury, I think it will be a long night for Hendricks, but if GSP lost a step, things could get ugly for GSP.

Hendricks is a threat no doubt. GSP has faced some good strikers before, but this is the first time in a long while that I'm a little worried about one of GSP's opponent's wrestling ability.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Matt Serra had a punchers chance...
    Everyone has a punchers chance that is what's AWESOME about MMA.

Why does it seem like everyone is looking past Hendrick's wrestling?
    That's what I think makes him GSP's biggest threat in a long time is the Obvious punching power, but that fact that Johny Hendrick is a legitimate wrestler himself.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Why does it seem like everyone is looking past Hendrick's wrestling?
    That's what I think makes him GSP's biggest threat in a long time is the Obvious punching power, but that fact that Johny Hendrick is a legitimate wrestler himself.
    From me, if Hendricks tries to shoot on GSP, it puts his defensive guards down and he leaves himself open for a shitload of shots. One of the reasons GSP fights normally end in decisions IMO is because the top tier guys he faces don't want to let their guard down and take any big risks at the chance of getting finished by GSP. His game is so tight that he'll exploit any opening, his jab is too good on the outside and reckless abandon doesn't really occur at this level of fighter, I think he'll fight conservative to not be taken out. GSPs game is set against Hendricks and he's the one who'll have to make the leap to win(and I think he'll take those risks on the feet), but I don't think he'll shoot too often and if he tries to engage, I see him getting really hurt.
    Last edited by Fedorlei Gomipierre; 08-26-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Thread Information