Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Askren: Idea that GSP is best wrestler is insane

1. Default

Askren needs to be hyping a fight between him and GSP to get his worth level up for a new contract with who ever. I'll give Ben the edge in wrestling in a wrestling match, but as it has been said this is MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Askren needs to be hyping a fight between him and GSP to get his worth level up for a new contract with who ever. I'll give Ben the edge in wrestling in a wrestling match, but as it has been said this is MMA.
    In all sincerity, and I'm not a big fan of Askren here--it wouldn't be an "edge" in a wrestling match. Think of how badly Georges would make Ben look in an MMA bout...that's exactly how badly Ben would make Georges look in a wrestling match. It wouldn't be close. Once a great wrestler didn't have to fear an onslaught of strikes [from a huge variety of angles and from an extended reach] they'd exploit Georges wrestling.

I think Georges is one of the best fighters ever to put on gloves, and I'm not discrediting him at all here. But he'd lose, badly.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I agree that Georges' striking and transitions would be a nightmare for Askren.

However, I think most people who have commented have basically discounted Askren's INSANE ability to maintain control and grip throughout very odd situations. He's got uncanny control and is able to survive scrambles and transitions while maintaining position like I've never seen.

I don't think he's ready for GSP but the thoughts of Condit (who I love) and others tooling him seems very unlikely to me. I think most primarily stand-up guys at WW would be in for the toughest fight they've ever experienced.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    I have a question for Ben.. He always says wrestling is the most dominant martial art. But didnt UFC 1 prove otherwise. If you only know how to wrestle amd dont know anything about Jiu-jitsu you would get tapped out.. Does this make sense? Or is my logic fucked.
    Don;t think we can use UFC 1 as to much of a benchmark really.. not to say that a good wrestler wouldn't get tapped with no knowledge of jiu jistu but there were no wrestlers in UFC 1 that whole tournament was designed for Gracie to win.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I don't think he's ready for GSP but the thoughts of Condit (who I love) and others tooling him seems very unlikely to me. I think most primarily stand-up guys at WW would be in for the toughest fight they've ever experienced.
    I think he beats both Condit and Diaz, and I like them both more than I like Askren.

I think if dana can do it at any type of pricepoint, he'll sign him just as a fuck you to bellator, but I actually hope he ends up in Japan or India or wherever...I want to see him fight Hieron again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    ...s in UFC 1 that whole tournament was designed for Gracie to win.
    literally.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 08-26-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Talking from a pure wrestling stand point, Askren is right. GSP does a lot of things wrong as far as wrestling goes and he gets away because people are so worried about getting punched in the face. His takedowns against Diaz were crap. But they worked because Diaz's wrestling is piss poor and he was worried about getting punched in the face. In a wrestling match if he tried that even with DIII guys he would have gotten smoked, forget taking piss poor shots like that against Askren.

As far as MMA goes GSP is Top 5 for MMA wrestling. But from a pure wrestling stand point he wouldn't even be an All-American at any level too many things he does wrong.

I have a question for Ben.. He always says wrestling is the most dominant martial art. But didnt UFC 1 prove otherwise. If you only know how to wrestle amd dont know anything about Jiu-jitsu you would get tapped out.. Does this make sense? Or is my logic fucked.
    Your logic is horrible. Currently 6 of the 9 UFC champions come from wrestling backgrounds and 4 of the 7 Bellator champs have wrestling backgrounds. Thats makes 59% of champions are wrestlers. I am not even counting GSP in that. I am just counting the guys that wrestled in High School and College. Too argue wrestling is not the dominat martial art at this point is just a waste of time.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Askren is talking to a minority of uneducated fans who make inaccurate blanket statements. I don't know that I've ever seen any credible sources saying Georges is the best wrestler in MMA, or even at welterweight.

I've seen credible sources say "Georges uses his wrestling better than anyone else at WW" which would be more or less accurate. Georges has great TD, top control and passes, but his greatest stills are his transitions between disciplines and the versatility that he brings to the table. There are far better pure wrestlers. There are far better pure strikers. There currently isn't anyone who mixes everything together as fluidly.
    The
    rh
    I don't think uneducated mma fans are in the minority at all.i would say the large majority of mma fans uneducated.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. Thatís right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

He might be the best wrestler in MMA. Unfortunately for him, this isn't wrestling, it's MMA and GSP is a better MMA fighter. GSP would make him look silly in the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Your logic is horrible. Currently 6 of the 9 UFC champions come from wrestling backgrounds and 4 of the 7 Bellator champs have wrestling backgrounds. Thats makes 59% of champions are wrestlers. I am not even counting GSP in that. I am just counting the guys that wrestled in High School and College. Too argue wrestling is not the dominat martial art at this point is just a waste of time.
    I would contend that, while wrestilng is A DOMINANT style in mixed martial arts, BJJ and muay-thai are practically REQUIRED styles for success at MMA.

I'm not taking anything away from where the wrestlers are right now but I don't think the logic used for the statement stands up to a lot of scrutiny.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I agree with SJ.

I can't wait to see Askren in the UFC. I think he has what it takes to make a lot of people eat their words. I don't see guys not named GSP, and without strong wrestling bases, being able to stop him from getting a hold of them. Once Askren gets a hold of you, he's going to make you look like it's your first day in wrestling practice if you can't compete with him on the ground. He can make guys look terrible. I would love to see what he would do to Diaz and the anxiety attack he'd give him afterwards.

He needs to get in the octagon where he'll meet a real challenge, pronto. There are a lot of intriguing matches for him. I think he deserves a name fight being the undefeated Bellator champion.

Winner of Kos/Woodley? Marquardt/Lombard? Ellenberger/Silva? Maia/Shields?

So many options to start him off with!

Thread Information