Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Askren: Idea that GSP is best wrestler is insane

Definitely going to be interesting. I think he gives strikers more pause than is being credited, for the same reasons GSP does even if he doesn't mix his TDs in as well. I could see him quickly entering the top 5 of the WW division in the UFC. But the only way I see him beating GSP is if GSP gets frustrated and mentally off his game once Askren gets on top of him (which is bound to happen at least once).
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    I have a question for Ben.. He always says wrestling is the most dominant martial art. But didnt UFC 1 prove otherwise. If you only know how to wrestle amd dont know anything about Jiu-jitsu you would get tapped out.. Does this make sense? Or is my logic fucked.
    A fighter with a strong enough skillset can be successful. Brock Lesnar was no mixed martial artist and did quite well in the UFC. Ronda Rousey only knows JJ and look at where she is.

Sometimes a dominant skillset is all that's required
    Last edited by roaddawg; 08-26-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Umm......judo?????
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    A fighter with a strong enough skillset can be successful. Brock Lesnar was no mixed martial artist and did quite well in the UFC. Ronda Rousey only knows JJ and look at where she is.

You hurt my brain.

Yeah, that Olympic thing she did... I don't know. I hear those medals make for good doorjams. Sometimes they're filled with chocolate, too.

She's not a great athlete or anything either.

Man, Rousey needs to go sign up at a UFC gym, doesn't she?! Maybe learn a new JJ move also.

RD fumbled then tripped and fell on his face by making that point.

roaddawg was playing pin the tail on the donkey on the edge of a cliff and fell to his doom with that one.

Silva only lost to Rousey because his shoelace was untied.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    You haven't seen the Hieron fight have you? GSP only had one or 2 takedown attempts that were easily stuffed . He just completely worked him on the feet. The first Koscheck fight I think kos was just surprised by gsps wrestling and got caught off guard. In the rematch the wrestling was very even.
    It has been a while since I have seen the Hieron fight.

Kos getting caught off guard? Okay, so he was caught off guard the 1st time he was put on his back. He should have been able to respond and alter his gameplan accordingly after being caught off-guard. That is not an excuse that is applicable after said 1st takedown.

I think GSP still had the edge in their 2nd fight. If a national Division 1 champ like Kos couldn't utilize his wrestling to dominate GSP, I cannot see any other wrestler doing a whole lot better, not enough to win a fight based predominantly on wrestling skill. GSP's wrestling abilities are enough to neutralize the very best of wrestlers, forcing them to go to other skills to try and win a fight. Askren's other skills are nowhere close to being enough to take GSP.

If Askren comes to the UFC, I think it will be a massive wake-up call for him. It is like going from the minor leagues to the majors...... The very best are in the UFC, and he hasn't faced any of them yet.

Thread Information