Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Askren: Idea that GSP is best wrestler is insane

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    I have a question for Ben.. He always says wrestling is the most dominant martial art. But didnt UFC 1 prove otherwise. If you only know how to wrestle amd dont know anything about Jiu-jitsu you would get tapped out.. Does this make sense? Or is my logic fucked.
    A fighter with a strong enough skillset can be successful. Brock Lesnar was no mixed martial artist and did quite well in the UFC. Ronda Rousey only knows JJ and look at where she is.

Sometimes a dominant skillset is all that's required
    Last edited by roaddawg; 08-27-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Umm......judo?????
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    A fighter with a strong enough skillset can be successful. Brock Lesnar was no mixed martial artist and did quite well in the UFC. Ronda Rousey only knows JJ and look at where she is.

You hurt my brain.

RD fumbled then tripped and fell on his face by making that point.

Silva only lost to Rousey because his shoelace was untied.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    You haven't seen the Hieron fight have you? GSP only had one or 2 takedown attempts that were easily stuffed . He just completely worked him on the feet. The first Koscheck fight I think kos was just surprised by gsps wrestling and got caught off guard. In the rematch the wrestling was very even.
    It has been a while since I have seen the Hieron fight.

Kos getting caught off guard? Okay, so he was caught off guard the 1st time he was put on his back. He should have been able to respond and alter his gameplan accordingly after being caught off-guard. That is not an excuse that is applicable after said 1st takedown.

I think GSP still had the edge in their 2nd fight. If a national Division 1 champ like Kos couldn't utilize his wrestling to dominate GSP, I cannot see any other wrestler doing a whole lot better, not enough to win a fight based predominantly on wrestling skill. GSP's wrestling abilities are enough to neutralize the very best of wrestlers, forcing them to go to other skills to try and win a fight. Askren's other skills are nowhere close to being enough to take GSP.

If Askren comes to the UFC, I think it will be a massive wake-up call for him. It is like going from the minor leagues to the majors...... The very best are in the UFC, and he hasn't faced any of them yet.

Strangely enough, Koscheck went to Askren to train for the second GSP fight I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Strangely enough, Koscheck went to Askren to train for the second GSP fight I believe.
    And GSP only landed 3 of 9 takedowns on a man with one eye. So I guess it helped.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

There's no doubt in my mind it did help.

Koscheck dedicated an inordinate amount of time to training standup and basically forgot about his bread and butter.

Thread Information