Thread: Tarec Saffiedine wants the winner of Condit vs. Kampmann 2 for his UFC debut

Hybrid View

Default Tarec Saffiedine wants the winner of Condit vs. Kampmann 2 for his UFC debut

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/26...-2-for-his-ufc

"Iíll be watching this fight really closely on Wednesday, between Carlos Condit and Martin Kampmann," Saffiedine told MMAFighting.com. "I really like those fighters, both of them would be good fights for me. Iíd like to fight the winner of that fight.

"They are both coming of losses, but I think Carlos looked good in those fights he lost. Martin got knocked out against Johny Hendricks. Itís going to be a war, Iím looking forward to watch it."

Still recovering from the injury, Saffiedine hopes to fight one more time before the end of the year.

"Iím hoping (to fight) later December, early January," he said. "If I start training in the end of September, give me three months and I can fight in December. But if my rehab needs a little more time, maybe January (is better). Dec. 28 at UFC 168, would be the best time for me. Itís been really, really frustrating. It makes me angrier, gives me more motivation for my next fight."

Saffiedine last fought in January, when he won the Strikeforce welterweight title with a dominant win over Nate Marquardt. Always quiet, "Sponge" wonít be seen calling fighters out in the UFC, but he realizes that he needs to speak more loudly to get top-ranked opponents.

"Obviously, I donít choose my opponents, they decide," he said. "I didnít call anybody out, I didnít ask for a fight. Lawler was a tough opponent, wouldíve been a great fight. But for my next fight Iím hoping to get a top 10 or a top 5."

With a win in his UFC debut, especially over guys like Condit or Kampmann, the Strikeforce champion expects to get closer to a shot at the UFC title.

"Thatís the goal," said Saffiedine. "I believe if I win one of those guys, it puts me maybe one or two fights away from the title. But obviously, Iím a fighter that doesnít look past anyone. I take one fight at a time. But my ultimate goal is to fight for the title, thatís the reason I came to the U.S. I came here to fight and beat those names. Thatís my plan, thatís why I left my country, my family and friends. Iím really, really hungry and I canít wait to come back to training."

Winner, No.
    Loser, Maybe.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Yeah, the winner will be too high up in the rankings. He hasn't earned that fight yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Get in line.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

He can fight the loser, and Matt Brown deserves the winner. But Saffiedine should fight Phillipu at 185, I would love that match-up.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    He can fight the loser, and Matt Brown deserves the winner. But Saffiedine should fight Phillipu at 185, I would love that match-up.
    In beating Mardtquart, he defeated a higher ranked opponent than Brown ever has.

Winner of Condit/Kampmann is a step up but I think it's fair. Condit is coming off two losses and Kampmann is coming off a TKO loss. It's not like Saffiedine is being walked into a title contender fight; he'd basically be two wins away at minimum. And for the SF champion, that seems fair at least.

Thread Information