Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erik Perez believes he'll be UFC champion in five years

Default Erik Perez believes he'll be UFC champion in five years

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/25...fight-night-27

"This is like a dream come true," Perez told MMAFighting.com. "I'm so close. 23 years old, the dream has come true, fighting in the UFC, the No. 1 show in the world. I feel great."

That's not to say the road was without its bumps, because that would be a lie. Midway through his first year in New Mexico, Perez had already dropped two split decisions to fall to an 0-2 record -- certainly not the auspicious start to the professional fighting career he'd hoped for. By the end of 2010, Perez's career tally sat at a middling 5-4, plagued by another two-fight losing streak.

"I needed to [wake] up," Perez admitted looking back. "Having lost two times, I think helped me a lot in my training. I [started] training real, real hard. Harder. And I started winning.

"Keep believing. Keep believing in my training. Keep believing in my coaches and training hard. The better fighter isn't always the fighter winning. The better fighter is the fighter [who] gets up. Get up and train more, harder, and [get back to] winning more fights."

And winning more fights is exactly what Perez did; eight straight, to be exact. The first five of those victories earned Perez a call from UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby, who was hunting for a 135-pounder to replace the injured Bryon Bloodworth and fight John Albert on just two weeks notice at The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale. Perez accepted immediately, then needed just four minutes to defeat Albert via first-round armbar, albeit controversially.

Perez's next two outings would be more decisive, as "Goyito" violently knocked out Ken Stone and, ironically, Bloodworth in a combined four minutes and seven seconds on FX-televised pay-per-view undercards.

It's a remarkable streak, considering Perez hasn't finished three straight foes since 2009, much less doing so in the first round.

"I don't know," Perez chuckled when asked what's come together for him. "I think it's because I'm bigger. I'm 23 years old, so my muscles, I'm stronger. There's more power in one man when the guy is 23 years old than 39. Every year, stronger and stronger, I grow into my body and I work hard in the gym.

"I need to keep going, keep winning. If my body feels good, I'm fighting ‘til I'm 40 years old."

Finishes are a prized commodity in the UFC's lighter weight divisions, so it's no coincidence that promotion officials have begun to take notice. The UFC has long searched for vehicles with which to break into the Latino market, a demographic traditionally dominated by boxing. A proven finisher with the background of Perez could easily evolve into a lucrative box office draw.

The UFC brass understands that better than most. It's, at least partly, the reason Perez is allowed to proudly wear his trademark luchador mask for everything he touches, from pre- and post-fight interviews to weigh-ins, and even his walk to the cage.

"It's not only Mexico. It's all the Latinos," Perez said. "I'm representing all the Latinos and I want to [get] the UFC into Mexico. I want UFC in Argentina. I want UFC in Puerto Rico.

"The mask is for all the Latinos that support me. I'll wear the mask every time."

From day one, Perez embraced his role as a gateway to the Latino audience. Despite knowing little to no English, he insisted on conducting his interviews without the help of a translator from the outset. He works on his second language everyday, and while the English still may be a bit broken, it's improved enough that Perez can power his way through interviews while still wearing a smile.

Yet like all fighters who receive the slow-build treatment, the time has finally come for Perez to prove he belongs in the next tier of the division. He's slated to fight on the main card of UFC Fight Night 27 against Takeya Mizugaki, a tough but grizzled veteran who's riding two straight wins inside the UFC. The victor of the bout will likely receive a big boost in opposition the next time around.

Perez is hesitant to look too far ahead. "I need to beat [Mizugaki] first. I can say nothing [before that]," he explains. Yet he understands what's at stake for the winner.

For Perez, it'd just another step in the same pattern he's followed for a decade. A 13-year-old troublemaker becoming an 18-year-old professional fighter, becoming 23-year-old UFC prospect. Who's to say what comes next?

"My dream is a title. Five years more, I want to [have] won the title," he vowed. "I'm 23. [I'd be] 28? Yeah, I need a title. Five years more, I think I've [won] the title, still [defending] the title -- one mini Anderson Silva."

Who?
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

This kid is for real people, I'm dead serious keep a close eye on this guy.. You think McGregor is an exciting finisher watch Erik Perez.

He is 3-0 with 3 first round finishes in the UFC and his next fight vs TAKEYA MIZUGAKI will be a great one. Perez wins by KO and get some real hype he deserves.. I can see him being a legit Title Contender in 2 years. I'm a fan and have been since his UFC debut.

This kid is excellent.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Who?
    Erik Goyito Perez, he actually seems legit.
    He does not get the hype someone like Conor McGregor does, but Erik is a really good fighter.
    If he will ever be a champion or not, it is an another discussion, but he is not a nobody. He has good skills.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Who?
    That was my thought too, but 5 years ago that's what most people would have said about Jon Jones. Now I'm not saying he's the next Jon Jones, but a lot can change in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Well I'll definitely have to pay attention when that name pops up on Wednesday.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Did we get a little ahead of ourselves, sir?
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

He fought a top level guy and just got beat, he fought tough and showed some good skills again.. He will come back much stronger and with this experience he can only go up from here, watch.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Did we get a little ahead of ourselves, sir?
    This. Sure Perez goes in and swings for the fences (brought back memories of Leonard Garcia, willing to give and take punishment, but not fight smart to prove his worth), but he seemed sloppy and distracted. He comes out a great camp I'm sure but this fight was seemingly too much for him coming off the layoff and adding the hype train.

Maybe next time I'll see some promise in the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    He fought a top level guy and just got beat, he fought tough and showed some good skills again.. He will come back much stronger and with this experience he can only go up from here, watch.
    I disagree.

Mizugaki is a SOLID veteran but not a top level guy. He's lost to Jorgensen, Torres, Faber and Bowles.

He's a tough guy but he uses the typical straight up and down Japanese style that should have been a custom fit for Perez to KO. He couldn't do it. He looked erratic and lost when Mizugaki didn't just keel over from his punches.

Granted, Perez fought his heart out but I just don't see him as the prospect other do.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information