Thread: Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus title fight joins Bellator 106 pay-per-view

Hybrid View

Default Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus title fight joins Bellator 106 pay-per-view

Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus title fight joins Bellator 106 pay-per-view
    by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 27, 2013 at 12:10 pm ET

Bellator MMA's pay-per-view debut now has a third title fight.

Officials today announced featherweight champion Pat Curran (19-4 MMA, 9-1 BMMA) will rematch Daniel Straus (21-4 MMA, 7-1 BMMA) at the event.

Bellator 106 takes place Nov. 2 at Long Beach Arena in California. Former UFC champions and recent Bellator signees Tito Ortiz and Quinton Jackson meet in the headliner.

Curran is ranked No. 5 and Straus is No. 8 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA featherweight rankings.

"Pat Curran's one of the best mixed martial artists we have in the game today," Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney stated. "Before breaking his hand, Straus was a fixture in the top 10 rankings with a huge amount of talent. Curran vs. Straus is a fight I've wanted to see since Daniel won the tournament a year ago last May. This should be an epic world title fight and our pay-per-view provides the perfect stage."

Curran looks for his seventh straight win and his third consecutive title defense. Prior to joining Bellator in 2010, he picked up a knockout win over Straus at XFO 29 in 2009. Although most of the Illinois-based fighter's wins previously came via decision earlier in his career, three of his past four (including a recent submission victory over Shahbulat Shamhalaev) have come via stoppage.

Straus, meanwhile, earned his title shot by winning a Season 6 tournament. Although the title fight has been delayed due to scheduling, injury and legal issues, the Ohio native now looks for his first major title and his sixth consecutive win. In fact, in his past 18 fights, his only loss has come via decision to Patricio "Pitbull" Freire in a Season 4 tournament final.

The latest Bellator 106 card includes:
    Quinton Jackson vs. Tito Ortiz
    Champ Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez - for lightweight title
    Champ Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus - for featherweight title
    Muhammed Lawal vs. Emanuel Newton - for interim light heavyweight title

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...6-pay-per-view
    Pretty stacked card, follow the link for the entire article.

Oddly enough, the only fight I don't want to see is the main event
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Tyy

I'm glad that Straus's legal issues didn't prevent this fight from being booked.

I can't help but think Bellator's TV ratings will suffer considering how many fights they've pilfered to make this PPV. Seems like the same dilemma that Zuffa's having with all these Fox TV cards.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    I can't help but think Bellator's TV ratings will suffer considering how many fights they've pilfered to make this PPV. Seems like the same dilemma that Zuffa's having with all these Fox TV cards.

True, but Dana said if Fox was a means to be free TV only they would pursue that route due to advertising and all the perks of being as accessible as every other major sport. It is coming soon, but in the meantime it means less and less buys because fights are so watered down.

Back on topic, this card is pretty sick, but due to the concept of willingly giving money to rampage or tito I will pass.

How is it that Rampage vs Tito is the main event?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I said I wasn't going to....

but I am totally buying this card.

I've been reading a good deal lately about the evolving business climate of PPVs and its direction and when looking at trends and buyrates and with the advance of specialty program networks and multi-media platforms, the complexion of PPVs is definitely changing and from what I've deduced has somewhat started to drift away from a PPV focused strategy. It's pretty interesting stuff. WWE has been going through some interesting transitions and the UFC's buys haven't looked stellar with the level of permeation of the market.

Thread Information