Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Chael Sonnen vs. Phil Davis 'could happen' at UFC 167

Default Dana White: Chael Sonnen vs. Phil Davis 'could happen' at UFC 167

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...pen-at-ufc-167

But White reiterated on Wednesday following the post-event news conference for UFC Fight Night 27 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis that Silva was injured.

"He's not going to be healthy till January," White said. "He can't even start training till January."

So that rules him out of the running for UFC 167, which takes place Nov. 16 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

White said Sonnen, who recently has challenged for titles in both the middleweight and light heavyweight very likely could wind up getting his wish to fight on the card – and hinted that a recent Davis callout of Sonnen could lead to a pairing of the two in a light heavyweight bout.

"We talked a little bit tonight," White said of Sonnen. "He wants to fight on that 20th anniversary card. He wants to co-main that (card). I'm working on it. That fight (against Phil Davis) could happen."

Prior to Sonnen's win over Rua, he dropped a light heavyweight title fight to champ Jon Jones. Before that, he was stopped in the second by Anderson Silva in a middleweight title rematch.

Davis, meanwhile, is coming off a split-decision win over former champion that gave him a three-fight winning streak.
    *Yawn

Out of all the possible Sonnen fights out there, this one doesn't interest me even a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I've thought quite a few people would beat Phil and was completely wrong. This time though I'm right. Chael will beat him much like Rashad if this fight happens.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Are they seriously trying to build Sonnen back up to another LHW title fight? Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Are they seriously trying to build Sonnen back up to another LHW title fight? Yuck.
    I hope not. He really has nothing to offer jones. Honestly I'd rather see him back down at mw.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

I think Davis takes it. He's the bigger, stronger, better wrestler and has the cardio and pace to match Sonnen. But neither of them have a particularly good stand up game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Mw is calling him. If this fight happens I think it would highlight the strength disadvantage he is putting himself in at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I think Davis takes it. He's the bigger, stronger, better wrestler and has the cardio and pace to match Sonnen. But neither of them have a particularly good stand up game.
    I could certainly see Davis outstriking Sonnen though. I don't see this going to the ground, I think it's going to result in Davis using his length and kicks to try and keep the distance and pick Sonnen apart for the decision.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Size and reach advantage for Davis, cardio, wrestling and stand up are pretty even...

Please no. Next please.

Thread Information