Thread: Benson Henderson defends style, lack of finishes

Default Benson Henderson defends style, lack of finishes

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...k-of-finishes/

however according to him at least, winning is the only thing that matters:

"If a guy walks into the cage and slips on a banana peel and I get a win, I'll take the win," Henderson said on Thursday.

"What it all boils down to is getting your hand raised. Whether you do it impressively, emphatically, whether you do it by split decision or whatever the case may be," he said.

I'm always after beating the guy up," Henderson continued. "I always want to beat the guy up. I don't care about judges or decisions or this or that. I just want to go out there and beat the guy up."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...2-in-milwaukee
    UFC 164 preview: 50 pre-fight facts for 'Henderson vs. Pettis 2' in Milwaukee
    LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MAIN EVENT

Henderson's seven-fight UFC winning streak is the longest in the lightweight division. The streak is tied with Jim Miller and George Sotiropoulos for second longest in the UFC 155-pound history. Henderson can tie Gray Maynard's record streak of eight with a victory over Pettis.

Henderson is currently tied with B.J. Penn and Frankie Edgar for the most consecutive lightweight title defenses in UFC history with three.

Henderson's 145 minutes of fighting without a finish is five minutes behind welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (150 minutes) for the record. His average fight time of 20:43 is the longest of any fighter in UFC history.

Henderson is only the third fighter in UFC history (Demetrious Johnson, Michihiro Omigawa) to start his UFC career by going to a decision in seven straight fights.

Henderson has successfully defended 32 submission attempts in UFC/WEC competition, the most ever.

Henderson's 58.3 percent takedown accuracy is third in UFC lightweight history.

Pettis has earned three knockouts in UFC/WEC competition stemming from a roundhouse kick to the head or body, more than any other fighter. Adding Strikeforce and PRIDE competition, the only fighter with more such victories is Mirko Filipovic with seven such one-kick finishes.

Pettis is one of two fighters in UFC history (Vitor Belfort) to earn two consecutive knockouts via a kick to the head or body.

Pettis absorbs just 1.41 significant strikes per minute, the second-best average in UFC/WEC lightweight history (minimum of five fights).

Pettis has never been finished in his 18-fight career.

HEAVYWEIGHT CO-MAIN EVENT

Frank Mir (16-7 MMA, 14-7 UFC) enters the event on the first two-fight losing streak of his career.

Mir will fight in the UFC for the 22nd time, the most of any heavyweight in the organization's history. His 22nd UFC bout will move him into a tie for fifth place all-time behind Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz.

Mir owns the most wins of any fighter in UFC heavyweight history with 14.

Mir is tied with Nate Diaz and Kenny Florian for the most submission victories in modern UFC history at eight. All eight of those wins took place in the first round, giving Mir the record for most first-round submission victories in UFC history. Hughes is second in the category with just five submissions in the opening frame.

Mir's 20 attempted submissions in UFC competition are the most in heavyweight history.

Mir is the only fighter in UFC history to earn more than one submission victory in less than one minute. He has three such finishes. He's also just one of five fighters in the modern era to earn three sub-minute knockout or submission finishes.

Mir is the only fighter UFC history to earn three technical submission victories inside the octagon.

Mir's 19 completed takedowns rank fifth in heavyweight history behind Jake O'Brien (21), Cheick Kongo (24), Randy Couture (25) and Cain Velasquez (27).

Josh Barnett (32-6 MMA, 4-1 UFC) returns to the UFC for the first time since March 22, 2002 – a span of 4,148 days (11.5 years) and 24 fights.

Barnett has earned his last seven victories by knockout or submission and has finished his opponent in 27 of his 32 professional victories.

Barnett owns 20 career submission victories while using nine different finishing techniques. Mir owns nine career submission wins with seven different techniques.

REMAINING MAIN CARD

Chad Mendes (14-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) enters the event with a streak of three consecutive first-round knockouts in a combined total of three minutes and 34 seconds, an average of 71 seconds per fight. Mendes' average fight time of 3:26 is second best in featherweight history behind Daniel Pineda (6:05).

Mendes is the only fighter in featherweight history to earn three straight first-round knockout finishes and one of just six fighters in organizational history to accomplish the feat. "Money" is currently tied with six other fighters for the most knockdowns in featherweight history with three.

Mendes' 2.08 strike differential against his opponents in the best ratio in featherweight history.

Mendes' 40.9 percent takedown accuracy is second in the featherweight division's history behind Dennis Bermudez (46.7 percent).

Clay Guida (30-13 MMA, 10-7 UFC) is 1-0 in the featherweight division with a split-decision win over Hatsu Hioki at UFC on FOX 6 in January.

Guida's 51 completed takedowns are fifth overall in UFC history.

Guida has never been knocked out in his 33-fight career.

Guida's eight post-fight bonuses are tied for the third most in UFC history.

Brandon Vera (12-6 MMA, 8-6 UFC) will compete in the heavyweight division for the first time since a knockout loss to Fabricio Werdum at UFC 85 in June 2008. Vera is 4-2 in the weight class. However, he has not won a heavyweight fight since November 2006.

Vera's average fight time of 5:33 in heavyweight bouts is the fourth shortest in the organization's history.

Vera is 1-3 (with one no-contest) in his last five fights.

Dustin Poirier (13-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and his five submission attempts in UFC competition are tied for the third most all-time in featherweight history behind Steven Siler (seven) and Darren Elkins (10).

Poirier is the only fighter in UFC history to earn two submission wins via D'arce choke.

Poirier has connected with 331 significant strikes in his UFC career, third all-time in featherweight history behind Max Holloway (376) and Nam Phan (483). His 46.8 percent significant striking accuracy ranks second in 145-pound history behind Mark Hominick (48.3 percent).

With Erik Koch (13-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), all of the significant strikes landed in his UFC career have taken place on his feet.

Koch's 80.9 percent takedown defense in UFC/WEC competition is the third best in featherweight history.

PRELIMINARY CARD

Gleison Tibau (27-9 MMA, 11-7 UFC) will compete in his 20th UFC bout, joining 10 others as the only fighters in history with 20-plus UFC appearances.

Tibau has completed 69 takedowns in his UFC career, second in UFC history. St-Pierre holds the record with 84. Tibau's 53 completed takedowns in 155-pound competition are the most in the division's history.

Tibau holds the UFC record for highest takedown defense accuracy. The Brazilian stops 93.1 percent of his opponents' takedown attempts (minimum of five UFC fights and 20 takedown attempts by opponents).

Tibau's 3:04:39 of total fight time in the UFC lightweight division is sixth in history behind Spencer Fisher, Penn, Guida, Sam Stout and Edgar.

Jamie Varner (21-7-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) owns the second best takedown accuracy in lightweight history (65.5 percent), behind Penn (66.7 percent).

Chico Camus (12-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) enters the event on the heels of his first career submission defeat.

Louis Gaudinot (6-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) enters the event off a 484-day layoff, the longest of his MMA career.

Pascal Krauss (11-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) landed 163 significant strikes against Mike Stumpf at UFC on FOX 6, the third most ever landed in a UFC welterweight fight.

Soa Palelei (18-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) returns the UFC after a one-fight stint in December 2007 at UFC 79, where Eddie Sanchez knocked him out.

Nkita Krylov (14-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will compete in his 12th MMA bout in less than a one-year span.

Palelei and Krylov have earned all 33 of their combined professional victories by knockout or submission.

Jared Hamman (13-5 MMA, 2-4 UFC) competes for the first time since Aug. 11, 2012 – a span of 386 days and the second longest layoff of his 18-fight career.

Hamman's 5.57 strikes landed per minute is the fifth highest average in UFC history (minimum of five fights).

Nikita Krylov (14-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will compete in his 12th MMA bout in less than a one-year span
    That's pretty fuckin' nutty.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Nikita-Krylov-110937

Old school shit right here. Doing 2 fights in one night. Having fights just days apart. What a monster.
    AND all his fights end in the 1st round.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    That's pretty fuckin' nutty.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Nikita-Krylov-110937

Old school shit right here. Doing 2 fights in one night. Having fights just days apart. What a monster.
    AND all his fights end in the 1st round.
    ooooh shit.....this boy might be someone to keep an eye on.....and he's Russian too? Dana must be having all kinds of marketing wet dreams about this guy...
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Both his losses were to The Janitor by arm triangle in the first round? What are the odds?

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    Both his losses were to The Janitor by arm triangle in the first round? What are the odds?
    Close, but not quite.
    Both his loses were to Vladimir Mishchenko by Arm Triangle, not Vladimir Matyushenko.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

My bad. Still very odd though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    My bad. Still very odd though :-)
    It's even odder that 9 of his wins are by first round sub. So he obviously knows how grapple. He must be ultra agressive when going positions and submissions.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Louis Gaudinot (6-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) enters the event off a 484-day layoff, the longest of his MMA career.
    Had Gaudinot not picked up FOTN in his last fight with Linekar, I actually dont know how - financially speaking - he could have survived (he picked up $8k to show and $8k to win). Looking forward to his fight with Elliot, both guys come to throw down and I think its going to be a war.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    It's even odder that 9 of his wins are by first round sub. So he obviously knows how grapple. He must be ultra agressive when going positions and submissions.
    It'll be interesting to see how he looks. Could be a case of him being a great grappler on the local scene, but lacks the level of grappling needed in the big leagues. I'm looking forward to finding out

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Thread Information