Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC boss: Definitive loss leaves Benson Henderson's road back to title lengthy

Hybrid View

Default UFC boss: Definitive loss leaves Benson Henderson's road back to title lengthy

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-title-lengthy

UFC President Dana White admitted that with Henderson now 0-2 in his career against Pettis, not to mention after suffering a first-round defeat to "Showtime" at this weekend's UFC 164 event, "Smooth" may find the path to a third fight a little longer than he might hope.

"That's definitely the case," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
    "We had the fight with Ben and Frankie where some people thought he won," White said. "There's no f---ing denying who won this fight, and it was a first-round annihilation, kind of like the Vitor-Anderson thing, you know what I mean?"

For his part, Henderson remained relatively upbeat at the evening's post-event press conference. His right arm was damaged in the fight-ending submission, but he didn't yet know to what extent. And unlike after the first loss to Pettis, Henderson kept his emotions in check. However, he insisted the sting was no less painful than the first time around.

"I did my crying and blubbering backstage," Henderson said. "I figure you guys have enough film and footage of me crying, so I was like, 'Yeah, I'll go ahead and do that backstage so you guys can't film me and then play it over and over and over.'"
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

of course it is.

...and yet Anderson gets and immediate rematch...after his own annihilation.

keep it classy and consistent dana. you the man.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    of course it is.

...and yet Anderson gets and immediate rematch...after his own annihilation.

keep it classy and consistent dana. you the man.

rh

See, you can't deny this for 1 second! Rivethead you are spot on here..

Henderson shouldnt get an immediate rematch but one or two wins most from another crack, he did defend it 3 times..
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Boxing had plenty of instant rematches for champions regardless of a round 3 KO or a UD loss.

There are things that delegitimize the sport far more than a dominant champion getting an instant rematch. They will capitalize on star power whenever they can just like any other entertainment outfit.
    Boxing sucks. It has for a long time.
    MMA doesn't have to. But it sucks more than it should right now.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    See, you can't deny this for 1 second! Rivethead you are spot on here..

Henderson shouldnt get an immediate rematch but one or two wins most from another crack, he did defend it 3 times..
    Thank you for actually focusing on my point, and not getting distracted into the Anderson's-diva-status-totes-earns-him-stuf bullshit.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

A former champ getting an immediate rematch should depend on the circumstances. With that said, this is the criteria I'd look at:

#1. What is the history between the new champ & old champ? Have they fought more than once before? If so, what's the record? If it's tied 1-1, then maybe a trilogy is in order. If they just had their first fight, then maybe a rematch is called for. If it's 2-0, then forget about it. Benson is out of luck here.

#2. How dominant was the champion? GSP & Anderson have set records for title defenses & totally dominated their competition via stoppages or one sided decisions. Benson defended his title 3 times, all were decisions, & two of them were controversial split decisions. He was NOT a dominant champ by any stretch of the imagination.

#3. Are there other strong contenders in the division? There could be a guy that just deserves a title shot ahead of the former champ because he has a strong resume. This is definitely true with someone like Big Rig, & maybe TJ Grant. At 185 the only guy you could say that about is Vitor, but Anderson recently defeated him embarrassingly easy. It's hard to justify anyone at 185 being better than Anderson.

#4. How one-sided was the loss? Was it a close decision, an early stoppage, a flash submission or KO? Or was it a one sided beating or a decision that wasn't close? Benson hasn't been subbed since he fought The Rock's dad in 2007 (his third fight), so this could have been somewhat of a fluke. This works to his advantage. Anderson getting KO'd could also be seen as a fluke. I'm not saying these things were necessarily flukes, but both are very rare occurrences.

So judging by the above criteria, yes Anderson does deserve an immediate rematch, but there's no way Benson will or should get one.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Quote Originally Posted by Adambomb View Post
    So judging by the above criteria, yes Anderson does deserve an immediate rematch, but there's no way Benson will or should get one.
    Nobody is arguing that Benson should get an immediate rematch.

The rest of your perspective is...subjective. You're welcome to your opinion, but I disagree with it.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

compaing Anderson silva to benson Henderson is night and day, apples to oranges. They are no where even close to the same situation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    compaing Anderson silva to benson Henderson is night and day, apples to oranges. They are no where even close to the same situation at all.
    How is it not even close? It seems pretty close to me.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Comparing what Anderson did to Vitor and what Pettis did to Henderson is a little unfair. Not trying to take anything away from how impressive Pettis looked but I wouldn't consider three body kicks and a nicely sunk in armbar an annihilation. I'm not interested in automatic rematch but if Bendo goes on to win three or four in a row against top guys, than hell yeah bring on Pettis/Henderson III.

Bendo is going to have a hard time getting a third fight against Pettis, that doesn't mean he couldn't find himself in a title fight if Pettis drops the belt to someone else,and Ben is in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Thread Information