+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC boss: Definitive loss leaves Benson Henderson's road back to title lengthy

Eh, I don't think there should be an immediate rematch. Maybe if Bendo had held the belt for a good couple of years, but he was a relatively new champ. I think it would be good for him to get a few wins anyways, before he challenges Pettis again.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    How is it not even close? It seems pretty close to me.
    I think he's referring to Anderson's resume according him diva status. I'd have to disagree, I don't believe in diva status.

The fights themselves were very close, in my oppinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Look I am a Bendo guy but the difference is the longest reigning UFC champ compared to a Bendo who has only had 3 defenses.
    Anderson was not getting beaten to the punch but Bendo was.
    The comparisons are a tad off.
    Anderson lost the first round, and wasn't winning the second. Then he got "annihilated," to use dana's term.
    The comparison is an accurate comparison.

You can play your diva-status-"earns"-an-immediate-rematch song and dance, but you're going to have people who don't buy into that shit. But the fights themselves were very comparable.

As I have said prior Anderson & GSP (along with Aldo at this point) have earned an immediate rematch, Bendo unfortunately has not.
    Yeah, no.

Just no. To all of them.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I think Henderson could be back in title contention with 2 wins depending on who he beats. Really like Henderson, hope he is back soon, although would love to see TJ Grant upset Petis.

Cain got a rematch pretty quickly after being destroyed by Junior. This is Henderson's 2nd loss to Petis, but the first fight was a razor close decision with the last 5 seconds of a 5 round fight deciding it so I don't think that should make the difference in pushing Henderson too far down the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Bendo is going to have a hard time getting a third fight against Pettis, that doesn't mean he couldn't find himself in a title fight if Pettis drops the belt to someone else,and Ben is in line.
    I agree with you there. As long as Showtime is the champ Danas going to be resign to set up Pettis Hendorson III.
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.

Well where do I start:

- Anderson silva has had more title defenses than bendo has had ufc fights.
    - Anderson was clowning around - where bendo was not
    - Bendo was finished, after already having a loss on his record at the hands of Pettis only this time it was with a statement and in the first round
    - Anderson silva is the GOAT, bendo isn't even the best in his divison.
    - People want the rematch between Silva and Weidman, the same cannot be said about Bendo vs Pettis (one of the reasons being point #3)
    - Do I need to keep this going?
    - As I said before this is night / day
    - Apples to oranges
    - Hockey to football
    - etc. etc. etc. etc.

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Well where do I start:
    Where do I finish?

Anderson silva has had more title defenses than bendo has had ufc fights.
    None of that changes the fact that they both got finished.
    Anderson was clowning around - where bendo was not
    Anderson was getting beaten before he was "clowning," and has stated repeatedly that what fanboys have misinterpreted as clowning was/is part of his strategy. He lures fighters in so he can counter. This is the first time he's faced someone with legitimate power where he didn't have a significant reach advantage, and he misjudged the range. Get over it, it happened.
    Bendo was finished, after already having a loss on his record at the hands of Pettis only this time it was with a statement and in the first round
    Anderson was finished with a statement as well. I believe the statement was something like "You disrespectful piece of shit!"
    Regardless, I'm not arguing that Bendo should get an immediate rematch. I'm saying NOBODY should get immediate rematches when they're finished definitively. And Silva was finished definitively.
    I'm saying Bendo should be two wins against ranked fighters away from a rematch, not somewhere far down the ladder as implied.
    Anderson silva is the GOAT,
    That's certainly debatable.
    bendo isn't even the best in his divison.
    Anderson isn't the best in his division right now. He's coming off a KO loss, son.
    People want the rematch between Silva and Weidman, the same cannot be said about Bendo vs Pettis (one of the reasons being point #3)
    The "people" are generally idiots, and I'd much, much, much prefer having bouts booked on merit and earned status rather than what will sell PPVs. I'm sure there are some morons who would pay to see Jones embarrass sonnen again. That doesn't mean that fight should be booked.
    Do I need to keep this going?
    Well, feel free to stop unless you come across a legitimate point.
    As I said before this is night / day
    - Apples to oranges
    No, I'll stand by my initial statement:
    Anderson doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. If Georges loses to Hendricks by clear stoppage, Georges doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. If Aldo loses to whomever his next opponent is by stoppage, he doesn't deserve an immediate rematch--despite the fact that he's the most complete fighter in the org.
    Bendo also doesn't deserve an immediate rematch...but I believe he'll earn one with two strong wins against ranked fighters. My concern was with the implication that he's "far down the ladder."

But both fights are comparable in that you had champions who were never winning their last fight and were subsequently finished decisively.

But thanks for playing.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Anderson Silva has gone 16-1 in the UFC, including 13-1 in his own division, if that isn't merit enough to deserve a rematch I really don't know what would be. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion but I'm going to go on a limb and say you're probably in the less that 5% percentile of fans that don't think Anderson deserves an auto-rematch. The other 95% that's A LOT of idiots.

I think I get what you're saying though and I've been echoing a similar sentiment all year. I know match making is difficult. I know they're running a business around a sport. In the end, all I'm really asking for is the illusion of legitimacy. At least pretend that they're trying to retain some sort of sporting credibility. Title challengers should at least be coming off of a win... Even if it's just one win! In 2013 if all goes to plan by years end, we'll have had 5 title fights where the challenger is coming off a loss. In the cases of Edgar, Diaz, Sonnen and Tate I found the decision to put them in title fights completely unacceptable.

I think a case for an auto-rematch can be made under a few exceptions, however. A razor close fight or draw (Machida/Shogun, Edgar/Maynard), a rubber match where no other legitimate contender is a viable option (Arlovski/Sylvia III) or when a champ has been on as dominant a run as Anderson and Georges have been on, regardless how they lose. That's just my take.

Well where do I start:

- Bendo was finished, after already having a loss on his record at the hands of Pettis only this time it was with a statement and in the first round
    - People want the rematch between Silva and Weidman, the same cannot be said about Bendo vs Pettis (one of the reasons being point #3)
    - Apples to oranges
    - Hockey to football
    - etc. etc. etc. etc.
    Agreed
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Well where do I start:

- Apples to oranges
    - Hockey to football
    - etc. etc. etc. etc.
    You didnt even need to give this many points, its bendo and Anderson.. That should be enough said. But i agree with all of em... RH's response is weak at best..

There are A LOT of idiots. Being in the majority doesn't make somebody smart. Name another legitimate sport where past championship glory gets you another championship opportunity?
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information