+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White: Manager making Jose Aldo look scared of fellow UFC champ Anthony Pettis

Default White: Manager making Jose Aldo look scared of fellow UFC champ Anthony Pettis

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...anthony-pettis

UFC President Dana White truly likes Andre Pederneiras. But when it comes to UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, White believes the veteran MMA manager is making his client look scared.

Specifically, he thinks Pederneiras is approaching a bout between Aldo and newly crowned UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis all wrong.
    "Here's the thing," White said of Pederneiras, who was an honorable mention in MMAjunkie.com's special publication, "The 25 Most Powerful People in MMA." "You can tell 100 percent Anthony Pettis is willing to go wherever it takes. I know that Jose's coach is saying, 'Bro, he can come down here at 145.' Because they think [Pettis would] be at a disadvantage whereas I actually think he'd be at a huge advantage at 145. He's big, strong.

" ... I mean, for his manager to come out, this is what drives me crazy about managers. I love him. He's a good guy. I've known Andre for years. But when you come out and make a statement like that, you make it look like your guy is afraid of him. You make it look like Aldo is afraid. And that might not be Aldo's same opinion. It might be his manager saying, 'This is what I want to happen here.' But it makes it look like he's afraid of Anthony Pettis, which already gives Anthony Pettis an advantage."

Sure, if you want to fight the champ, you should be willing to go to his weight class. After all, Aldo has won 16 consecutive fights with seven consecutive WEC/UFC title defenses. He's the No. 1 fighter at featherweight and also No. 4 pound-for-pound in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA featherweight rankings.

However, Aldo and Pettis both now have a belt wrapped around their waist, so White believes Aldo and Co. need to realize they're no longer in the driver's seat when it comes to a potential bout.

As for Pettis, who doesn't know the extent of a knee injury he suffered on Saturday, he's not making demands and is willing to fight in either division, or even in the middle.

"I'm here to make the good fights happen," he said. "I'm here to prove I'm the best in the world anywhere around my weight class. Whatever happens, happens."

White, too, isn't sure what weight the fight would take place at. However, he said he doesn't anticipate a scenario in which one fighter would hold both belts, though he didn't completely count out that possibility.

"That wouldn't be the case," he said. "I don't know. Who knows? Like I said, this fight happened 45 minutes ago. I'm not even thinking about that right now."

With Aldo, Grant possible, Pettis knee injury leaves post-UFC 164 move unclear
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...4-move-unclear
    "I don't know what's going to happen," White said. "No sense in even talking about another fight right now."
    With Pettis' victory over Henderson, Grant might have seemed to be his next logical fight. But the new champ told UFC commentator Joe Rogan that he wanted Aldo.

"We have unfinished business," said Pettis, who didn't mention his knee during his post-fight interview.

At the post-event press conference, Pettis said an MRI would determine what's next for him.

"I'm not sure yet," he said. "Henderson threw a kick and I went to check with my left leg, and he hit right in the crook of the knee, so I felt it go back and forth.

"So I don't know what happened. I stepped on it, and it was hurting a little bit, so when he had me on the cage, it was starting to lock up a bit. I'm not sure what happened. We'll find out pretty soon."

Regardless of injury, Pettis said he still wants to beat Aldo. He didn't specify whether he would like the fight at featherweight or lightweight.

"I'm here to prove I'm the best in the world," he said. "Anybody around my weight class that's contemplating coming to 155 or even at 145 – his coach said I faked an injury. I would never fake an injury. I'm not afraid to fight anybody, and that's what that was all about. If he wants to fight me, let's make it happen. I'm ready."
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 09-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Let's see Aldo go to 155 to make this happen. His last few fights have driven his rep far beyond the killer he was back in the WEC, and the weight cut is wrecking him fight after fight. I would much rather see Mendes fight Aldo, and Grant fight Pettis, but I know Uncle Dana won't make the sensible matchup, he'll make the profitable one.

What an utter punkassed useless waste dana is.

Did he tell the world the soares was making Anderson look scared when Silva didn't want to move up to 205 to face Jones?
    Dana continues to undervalue Aldo and mismanage his portrayal in the media. if you asked dana if Aldo was better p4p than chael fucking sonnen, white would tell you he wasn't, because sonnen sells more ppvs.

This is dana trying to tell an uneducated public what they should think, applying pressure to Aldo and Pederneiras. Mendes has earned a rematch, a superfight with Pettis--at any weight class--shouldn't even be discussed at this point. I'm 100% sure that Guida would have gotten a title shot if he'd beaten Chad last night. Give Mendes his rematch and leave superfights off the board.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

4. Default

A champion who has yet to defend his title against ANYONE shouldnt ever be discussed in a superfight conversation.

5. Default

The guy hasn't even defended his title yet, why are they talking about "superfights"? Personally, I don't think Pettis will be able to hold on to that belt. I could see guys like Gil Melendez, TJ Grant, and Gray Maynard beating him.

And Aldo still has some intriguing fights/rematches at Featherweight. Mendes has improved tremendously and deserves a rematch. Ricardo Lamas still hasn't gotten his shot. Cub Swanson is another guy who has shown incredible improvement and I would love to see that rematch as well. And there's still Frankie Edgar, who in my opinion narrowly edged out the decision against Aldo last time.

The point is... this "superfight" talk is premature.
    ------------------

Why does staying in your own weight division make you scared? He worked hard and put years into his career to establish his dominance in his division, he has earned his place there, forcing him to move up or back talking him for not doing so is utter bullshit. If Dana white wanted Pettis to fight Aldo he should have scrapped the Benson fight and made Pettis wait for Aldo to recover.. Or he could make Pettis drop down.

No way Aldo scared to fight Pettis, at any weight class. Though its funny how Aldo's camp said the same thing about Pettis when his injury forced him out of their fight.
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.

Lamas and Mendes are two reasons not to do this fight. And there's a growing list after that. Let Aldo defend his belt like the champ he is. He wasn't clamoring to go to 155 when Benson was there, he's not clamoring now that Pettis is there; he seems consistent and respectful of the belt not scared.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Translation of what Dana really said:

"This is another superfight that I can not make happen. But as always, I will blame someone else so I do not get exposed as the incompetent idiot that I really am"
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Dana is a piece of shit. Dana is also bald. These things are true, and in order according to how obvious they are.
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information