Thread: UFC Fight Night 28's Glover Teixeira sets target date for desired title shot

Hybrid View

Default UFC Fight Night 28's Glover Teixeira sets target date for desired title shot

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...red-title-shot

"Thank God, everything has worked out for the best," Teixeira told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I've trained hard, and today I'm nearing my goal. I'm very thankful that I've gotten this far in two years without any serious injury. Mostly, it's been all hard training sessions."

Wednesday's event, which airs on FOX Sports 1 following a prelim on Facebook, takes place at Mineirinho Arena in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Teixeira hails from Minas Gerais, and he's been featured prominently in the buildup to the fight.

Does the hometown-hero role come with pressure?

"I'm feeling happy," he said. "There's a little pressure because it's the main event, but I'm very happy to see a dream come true. I've always dreamed of winning in the UFC. To be in the main event in the UFC is already a materialization of my dreams. I'm very excited about this. I hope to put on a great performance."

Since signing with the UFC, Teixeira has extended his current winning streak to 19 fights (with 17 stoppages). In the UFC, he's faced and defeated increasingly tougher competition, starting with Kyle Kingsbury and moving on to Fabio Maldonado, Quinton Jackson and James Te Huna. Even reigning champion and pound-for-pound notable Jon Jones has pegged him as a worthy opponent. That makes a win over Bader all the more important. But despite the recent Brazil vs. the world theme of the UFC's cards in the South American country, Teixeira doesn't necessarily see it that way.

"I have great Brazilian friends and also great American friends," said the fighter, who's trained throughout the U.S. in recent years. "Of course I'm from Brazil, and I want to win for Brazil. That's undeniable. Brazil is in my heart, and I know the suffering and sacrifice of the Brazilian people.

"At the some time, I have great American friends whom I'd rather not see face my Brazilian friends, though if it happens in the future, there's nothing I can do about it. That's the sport we're in."

Bader, a two-time NCAA Division I All-American wrestler who's added solid striking skills to his game, provides Teixeira one of his toughest tests yet. The bout, which initially was targeted for UFC 160 before Bader suffered an injury, is a stiff challenge for the title hopeful.

"He's a difficult opponent with great wrestling," Teixeira said. "I think he'll attempt to impose his wrestling since that's his strong suit. But his knockout power and submission ability cannot be ignored. He doesn't have a wide variety of submissions, but they are strong submissions. I think he's a great athlete, and I think it will be a great fight. Our styles match up well and it will be a good fight for the fans."

And if victorious?

"Every victory brings me a step closer to the belt," he said. "I'm confident I'll have an excellent performance. Hopefully I can contend for the belt in 2014."

Glover will be the champ when he takes the belt away from Gustafsson. Because THAT'S what's gonna happen. !BOOM!
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

I've been aboard the Glovercoaster for about five years, I'm a believer that he's going to win the championship.

After reading the title, I was prepared to be annoyed by another fighter demanding a title shot, but Glover is classy and patient as always. Seems like a great guy. I don't know if he can beat Jones, but that's not really a knock on anyone. Would love to see that fight soon.

Because there is no way Goose wins, Mr. Plague
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Because there is no way Goose wins, Mr. Plague
    We shall see good sir. We shall see.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

I had high hopes for Bader,but it seems he isn't living up to his potential. I think Glover picks him apart on the feet and defends the TD well. But I still wouldn't sleep on Bader,if he comes in hungry and aggressive,he could pressure Glover up against the cage and get the takedown and smoother him for 3rds.

Should be a good fight either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I think glover beats bader, but I don't think that warrants a tile shot. After that give him whoever is ranked #2 and make it a number one contender fight. Im not sold on wins over rampage and bader warranting a title shot imho

Thread Information