Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Pettis Submitted Benson Henderson As A Blue Belt

Default Anthony Pettis Submitted Benson Henderson As A Blue Belt

There are black belts and then there are black belts’

Famous words from UFC commentator Joe Rogan who himself happens to hold a black belt rank in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Former UFC lightweight champion, Benson Henderson, also holds a black belt in brazilian Jiu Jitsu and in his latest outing at UFC 164 he adorned his shorts with a black belt graphic to remind everyone.

Which is why, some may find it surprising to learn that the new champ, Anthony Pettis, submitted him as a low ranking blue belt.

Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz

Anthony Pettis’ coach just told me he’ll promote the UFC champ to purple belt in jiu-jitsu next week. Yes, a blue belt submitted Henderson.
    http://www.bjpenn.com/quick-twitt-an...s-a-blue-belt/

Makes Pettis' sub on Bendo that much more impressive.

Edit; if a mod can fix the title that would be awesome. didnt realize it had the "more at h" part
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 09-04-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Impressive for anyone to submit bendo, but take the bluebelt label with a grain of salt. He could have done serious training in a beltless system and they're just playing this angle up for hype. Hell, isn't Jeremy Horn technically a white belt?

Regardless, the dude is one of the most dangerous fighters we've ever seen. I can't wait to see his first few defenses.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Any given Sunday.

Matt Hughes was a white belt and had lots of subs lol

BJJ belt rank in MMA doesn't mean much. A lot of these guys just don't train gi and as a result never get promoted. Pettis is definitely higher than a blue belt skill wise.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    BJJ belt rank in MMA doesn't mean much. A lot of these guys just don't train gi and as a result never get promoted. Pettis is definitely higher than a blue belt skill wise.
    I agree man. Gi training is completely different, it's slower, there's more grips available, and sweat plays less of a factor. Maybe Pettis is a blue belt, but his aggressive and almost opportunistic grappling works extremely well in MMA.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post

Exactly. I could have sworn that I read (albeit a while back) an article talking about how Pettis was a very strong purple belt??? This was a couple years ago. Maybe I'm confused.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Let me also point out that Bendo took third in the brown belt category of the Mundials earlier this year. That takes a bad, bad mofo. I'm in the gi bjj community, and we were shocked at how skilled the guy is once he puts on the pajamas.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

shogun is also a black belt and chael is a no belt haha mma grapplers are clearly bridging the gap with accomplished brazilian jiu jitsu practioners.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    shogun is also a black belt and chael is a no belt haha mma grapplers are clearly bridging the gap with accomplished brazilian jiu jitsu practioners.
    I don't know how much bridging there is. Put a GI on Sonnen and let him and Shogun go with BJJ rules and see if the gap is bridged. It's just a totally different game when you have the GI for grips, submissions, sweeps, etc...No gi MMA grappling and GI BJJ grappling are two totally different worlds IMO...especially when you throw in the threat of strikes.

I think the MMA grapplers are just spending more time on the BJJ side than they used to
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Thread Information