Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida: Jon Jones canít stop Glover Teixeira

The top ten right now is a stable of zombies wandering around waiting for a loss to take them completely out of contention while they all grasp onto hopes of a title shot they will NEVER get.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

A couple things of note on Glover going forward, which I think are play into his performance last night and going forward.

I'll preface by saying I'm a massive Glover mark and have been waiting for him to get this shot for years now, so I'm biased, but there are a couple of spots for concern IMO. Mainly, his camp status. ATT from The Pit, after such a long time, is still taking some getting used to, and there's always Blackhouse friends being mentioned but never solidified as his "home base". It sounded to me like ATT hasn't been the smoothest adjustment, with it looking like be some growing pains as he has gone away from Hackleman and this being his first real test with the team. Glover had bad weightcutting issues this time out(I don't know if this was from training in Florida, then having to travel to cut), but there has been discipline talk regarding his camp, suggesting that he took Bader too lightly. Also, ATT guys are known for their different weightcutting practices, which I wonder if that played any factor, since while a big LHW, Glover normally gets down without much trouble....

Personally, I really don't like the ATT change-up at this point in his career, as he's been under Hackleman's hand for so long with alot of success in his approach and style, that I think the new environment this past 8 months or so hasn't been enough time to really make a positive difference. I think the more time he spends there, the greater benefits he'll see(although I'd much rather see him at Blackhouse).

All that said, I thoroughly believe Glover has the skillset to beat Jones. He's got great BJJ, strength, great power and boxing and solid wrestling. Last night he didn't look great, his cardio is an issue and he took too many shots...but I think he looked past Bader and didn't come in having his best camp and it showed. However I think there needs to be a greater optimization of Glover's training camps to get the best output from him, which we did not see last night. I think the more comfortable Glover gets at ATT, coupled with arguably an attempt at the best camp he's ever had for the title fight, we'll see a vastly improved Glover next time out.

It will take someone with great footwork to beat Jones, Glover fights like Rampage and will be dominated like rampage

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    It will take someone with great footwork to beat Jones, Glover fights like Rampage and will be dominated like rampage
    Pretty much nailed it. And he's s bit slower than Page I think and has worse cardio. Hes definitely talented but he's too predictable. I saw Bader only having a chance at a lay n pray UD but he almost finished Glover in the 1st. The fight sort of went like Kongo vs Barry, except a good couple of shots he gave Bader before almost being finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Chael Sonnen after he squeaks out a boring win against Rashad Evans, come this is the UFC and all.
    I probably shouldnt do this but....

Sig bet? Rashad is going to smash Sonnen.

Comparing Glover to 'Page is fucking sad. Every time I describe Glover to someone I use the word - Well rounded... you know...good in all area's. Then you compare him to 'Page? A one dimensional striker who forgot how (Or simply can't at this point) to wrestle. Talk sense.

I think they meant his lack of footwork and lumbering forward.

Clearly his actual grappling and submission game is far ahead of Rampage at this point in his career.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnja View Post
    Comparing Glover to 'Page is fucking sad. Every time I describe Glover to someone I use the word - Well rounded... you know...good in all area's. Then you compare him to 'Page? A one dimensional striker who forgot how (Or simply can't at this point) to wrestle. Talk sense.
    Reading comprehension ftw

I have always felt that to beat Jones you need to be in his face. Every round he has lost in the UFC is when a guy takes the fight to him (Bonnar, Machida, Evans). He does not handle pressure well and if Glover went in there looking to take Jones' head off he has a decent shot.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Who else are they going to give the title shot to?
    Lil Nog and Phil Davis.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Thread Information