Thread: UFC Fight Night 28 winner Glover Teixeira expects Jones to defeat Gustafsson

Default UFC Fight Night 28 winner Glover Teixeira expects Jones to defeat Gustafsson

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ones-for-title

"My dream is to get the belt, but I believe Jon Jones will win," Teixeira said after Wednesday's event. "That's the way I see it, and I definitely prefer to fight him, in a certain manner because Jon Jones has a better name. He's been a champ for a long time, so whoever goes to face him has to be very focused, very well-trained."

Teixeira and Bader met in the main event of Wednesday's UFC Fight Night 28 event, which took place at Mineirinho Arena in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. The card marked Teixeira's first UFC headlining slot, as well as his first professional fight in his home state.

The win didn't come easy, as Bader was able to rock him twice in the opening round but was unable to secure the finish. Instead, Teixeira picked himself up off the canvas and landed a thunderous two-punch combination that sent Bader crashing to the floor.

Teixeira quickly followed, earning a first-round TKO stoppage.

Afterward, Teixeira was visibly upset with his performance. He later explained he was simply disappointed to have allowed himself to be hit so cleanly.

"I was thinking a lot about the knockout, and I was waiting for that," Teixeira said. "I was waiting for him to punch me so I could counter him, but I was very close to him. That's where he got me. I remembered we always have to move, and we always have to be first. I have to do my strategy, which is always to move the head around and to go forward and to make those punches connect. I didn't move around, and that's where the problems started.

"I was a bit upset because despite Ryan Bader being a huge athlete and a great fighter, we always want to be the guy who goes in and dominates. I think the secret of the fight is for us to hit and not get hit, to punch and not get punched."

Despite the early struggles, Teixeira did earn the victory, giving him an incredible 20-fight winning streak. After the press conference, he admitted he may have been a little hard on himself and that legendary Brazilian slugger Pedro Rizzo had advised him to recognize the magnitude of his win.

Either way, it appears a title shot is in his future. And if Teixeira's prediction is correct, it will come against Jones, the man currently considered the world's best pound-for-pound and light-heavyweight fighter, according to the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA rankings.

Teixeira thinks he's got a plan to unseat the champ.

"The knockout power, I believe I have it, and if I hit him, he's going to go down," Teixeira said.

UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones will go down if Glover Teixeira lands hands on him
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/5/469...ght-title-shot

'Unhappy' Glover Teixeira survives alarming Ryan Bader scare, emerges as No. 1 contender despite overconfidence
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/4/469...-jon-jones-mma

Dana White Declares Glover Teixeira Gets Next UFC Light Heavyweight Title Shot
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-...ght-title-shot
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 09-05-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Glover is a great fighter, but IMO Jones is simply in another league. I think that only Cain, JDS and maybe Cormier have a chance of beating him.
    At LHW I see no one who can give him a serious challenge, let alone beat him.

Jones has absolutely destroyed everybody: Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Vitor, Sonnen.
    And I believe that he will destroy Gustafsson too.
    If Teixeira really wants the belt, he should hope that for some reason the winner is Gustafsson.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Why is there so much hype around Glover despite his recent performances? He's not dominating people like the current champ of the division did on his way up the ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by orion_damage View Post
    Why is there so much hype around Glover despite his recent performances? He's not dominating people like the current champ of the division did on his way up the ranks.
    Perhaps due the prestige of his competition? His well-roundedness with striking as well as grappling?

I'd agree that he is getting much hype but the fact remains that he is a top 10 LHW at the moment whose stock is increasingly rising.

Haven't seen much in terms of striking defense that has impressed me much. For example, Rampage was landing jabs at will.

Quote Originally Posted by orion_damage View Post
    Because he has a 20 win streak, which is impressive. Because of his 22 wins, only 3 have been by decision.
    Because despite that he has not been a dominating machine, all his performances have been very solid, and because there is no one else to hype.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

You mean when Jones was clamoring for Joe Silva to give him strikers so that he can test his stand up skills against them, only to use his best skill at the time (wrestling) to take them down and beat them?

Glover has at least beaten guys up at their best skill set, using his standup skills, his BJJ, his wrestling to find all different ways to win, no matter who the opponent.

Thread Information