+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NSAC raises marijuana threshold by 300%

I don't smoke & I don't care to. But I'm all for this.
    Weed doesn't give a fighter an advantage & it's a "drug" that should be Legal anyways.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Athletes should have to keep their blood clean. If it's illegal it shouldn't be allowed in the cage. Oh well, this might just be the encouragement that Nick Diaz needed to come out of retirement. (again)

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Oh can add more divisions like boxing.

lets see.

All weed all the time division.

Can't compete so TRT division.

and TBA.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    sigh....do they "prescribe" it--meaning they actually write out a scrip with an amount and a time to ingest--or do they issue licenses that make it legal for someone to possess it, and then recommend it's use?

I'm not talking about Marinol, I'm talking about green, unrefined vegetation.

rh
    I think this one of those things where you're arguing a technical point. While its not technically prescribing marijuana, if the doctor gives you the means to obtain medical marijuana legally, and recommends you use it... People say its prescribed to you. its more of a recommendation i guess. It's a loose use of the word, but that's basically what he's doing... I know it's not federally legal, and I know it's not technically a prescription... But is it really such an egregious error? After all, you're talking a country that added bootylicious to the dictionary... As a whole we clearly don't take our language as seriously as we should. Lol

As far it being used by fighters... Jut don't use it during camp... How hard is that? But honestly I don't care because I don't consider it performance enchancing.

legalize it !

Despite NSAC's new pot limits, hefty fines remain for violators
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-for-violators

Now, as then, not admitting pot use in pre-fight medical paperwork might be just as costly.

"I think anyone should know from Chavez and Diaz, you better do that," Kizer told MMAjunkie.com. "I don't know why they wouldn't."

With athletes able to have more of pot's chemical remnants in their bodies at the time of testing, their fear of failure might be on the decline. The commission earlier this month tripled the allowable amount of marijuana metabolites on drug tests, nixing the previous limit of 50 ng/mL for the 150 ng/mL cutoff, which was adopted earlier this year by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) in response to changing attitudes about pot.

The commission had discussed raising the threshold as early as October 2012, but hadn't decided how to direct laboratories that conduct post-fight screening, Kizer said. Previously, the commission erred on the side of caution when it came to deciding acceptable metabolite levels. Initially, it was set at 15 ng/mL, but after several advocates warned of false positives due to secondhand smoke, it was set at 50.

The level, however, was not foolproof. Because the drug cleared from people's systems at different rates, there was no certain way to determine when it was used. And given that the drug's active effects ended long before it cleared from the body, the benefits of policing the drug became a hot-button issue for the commission and other regulatory bodies.

"The scientific part was, we're going to play it safe," Kizer said. "If some of the people get caught, they may not have abused for two weeks. But we want to make sure that the other people that marijuana gets out of their system more quickly, that they don't get away with smoking within days of the competition."

The NSAC, which follows WADA protocols on banned substances, still maintains a policy that marijuana is prohibited in-competition. But the new levels are expected to define that more clearly.

"The drugs of abuse, there's always a cutoff, because they're not banned out-of-competition," Kizer said. "They're banned in-competition, and that doesn't mean, 'As long as you're not smoking during the competitions.' If you look at the detection window for opiates, cocaine, methamphetamine, the window of detection is anywhere from a couple of days to a half a week, but for marijuana, it was like 15 days. The question is, why is that so high? I think part of it was political; the same reason why marijuana is a Schedule I drug."

In prior consultations with WADA, Kizer said doctors working with the regulatory admitted that even the new cutoff was more political than practical.

"(The WADA doctor said) 150, more often than not, will be more in line than 50 will," he said. "There might be someone who's an outlier, who just smoked a bunch of weed but is only at 100, but they're few and far between."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information