Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bjorn Rebney announces signing of former UFC heavyweight Lavar Johnson

Default Bjorn Rebney announces signing of former UFC heavyweight Lavar Johnson

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/5/...fc-heavyweight

Another former UFC heavyweight has joined the Bellator fold.

A week after finalizing the addition of Cheick Kongo, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney appeared on the SLO Late Show on Thursday to announce the signing of Lavar Johnson.

Johnson is expected to join Kongo in Bellator's upcoming four-man heavyweight tournament this fall at Bellator 102, which takes place Oct. 4, 2013 at the Visalia Convention Center in Visalia, California.

"Banger," Rebney said of Johnson. "He's fought a lot of times in the UFC. Great stand up game. A lot of fun to watch fight."

I know a lot of people are going to jump on the "Bellator said they weren't going to sign UFC washouts" wagon, but their HW division is sooooooooo fuckin weak. Kongo and now Lavar will help tht.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

i dont mind the signing of exciting ex ufc fighters, Bjorn just shoulda kept his mouth shut saying they dont sign them

Pfff, seriously they can not find anybody better to sign???

Why not look for some Top prospects in small orgs and sign them? They are signing fighters that were relevant like 7 years ago.
    They are signing fighters that no one will care about because we already know that they are not Top level. We all know that any Top 10 in the UFC would destroy both Kongo and Lavar. Any Top LHW would destroy Rampage and Tito.

No one will take Ballator seriously if they continue signing these kind of fighters. It would be OK if Bellator was some very very small regional show, so they make these signings to say "We have former UFC fighters", so people would tell "ooooh!! That is huge!".
    However, as far as I understand, they seriously want to be a very serious organization.
    And for that, they need to sign Top prospects, so people begin talking about "who would win? This guy from Bellator or somebody like Overeem?".
    Instead, with signings like Kongo or fucking Lavar Johnson, people will say "pfff who cares if he wins fights here? He already showed that he could do nothing in the UFC"
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Looking at available HWs, there aren't too many "name" options out there and what they should be looking to do is build the division to a point where they have their own names and won't have to rely on UFC fighters, which they still have to at this point...

In the wake of Konrad's exit, they've floundered with the HW roster and they're in a bit of a situation because they've got signed talented prospects like current young HW talents like Volkov, Minakov, Santos, Grabowski, Ivanov is coming back next week, but they don't have established names. Bellator can continue to sign a bunch of Russian and European prospects with great records, but to date, none have been able to get themselves over as a popular personality. This takes time and having the division consisting of less-than top caliber HWs like Sparks, Prindle, Martinez, TUF rejects etc, makes alot of the current HW fights feel like sloppy barroom brawls.

Looking at HW names, BFC probably isn't going to do business with Dave Herman again after the break-up they'd had years back, Monson and Rizzo are getting long in the tooth, Sylvia is a big name, but he's a joke. They have options with talented names at HW like Grabowski, Linderman, Oleinik, Perek, Kita however I don't think any of those guys will move the needle.

I'll be very interested to see if Vera gets cut and if so, will be probably another name BFC could pick up.

Honestly, I hate seeing guys go to Bellator. I'd much rather see them go to WSOF.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Fe, why wsof over bellator? Bellator puts on way more fights at this point. More fight cards = better for me IMO. I also enjoy wsof as well.

so 50 % chance Lavar or Kongo ends up being champ...?
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Speaking of Rebney, I just read some crazy shit involving him and a former business associate who also happened to be a promoter (boxing).

http://ringtalk.com/the-real-story-b...fbi-a-dead-dog

Here's a little bit from the link...

"The case, of course, grows more convoluted, and Ersoff said hes convinced that the dogs death ├_ by way of a metal spike driven through its head the day after Ersoff sued Rebney, Plonsker and the Alschuler firm ├_ wasnt coincidental. A judge eventually dismissed the firm from the case, but that decision is on appeal. In the meantime, Ersoff said, hes watching the Pellicano case closely."

Kind of random input in throwing out here, but I just read this story less than an hour ago so I figured I'd share.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Fe, why wsof over bellator? Bellator puts on way more fights at this point. More fight cards = better for me IMO. I also enjoy wsof as well.
    They have a lot of underutilized talent. They have a habit of keeping their biggest stars on the bench for far too long. I don't like the way they do business and I don't like the way they treat their fighters. I see far more potential growth for WSOF.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information