+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bjorn Rebney announces signing of former UFC heavyweight Lavar Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I know a lot of people are going to jump on the "Bellator said they weren't going to sign UFC washouts" wagon, but their HW division is sooooooooo fuckin weak. Kongo and now Lavar will help tht.
    Very true, I like Lavar, he is a scrapper, and Kongo will make some good fights as well, I like it.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

I know a lot of people are going to jump on the "Bellator said they weren't going to sign UFC washouts" wagon, but their HW division is sooooooooo fuckin weak. Kongo and now Lavar will help tht.
    Completely agree. The Tito and Rampage signings didn't make sense to me because neither guy seems committed, is well past their prime, and has been trouble outside of the cage. But guys like Kongo and Johnson come to fight, are still fairly consistent even if they aren't the top of the heap, and don't carry a lot of baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    They have a lot of underutilized talent. They have a habit of keeping their biggest stars on the bench for far too long. I don't like the way they do business and I don't like the way they treat their fighters. I see far more potential growth for WSOF.
    After the wrestling hooks and signing (just to harp on it again) Tito and Rampage, I'm starting to agree. I really like Bellator for a stretch, but it seems like Viacom might be draining what little sense there was. WSOF, on the other hand, seems to be playing it cautiously but well. Looking forward to seeing how they grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

3. Default

there is nothing wrong with signing the available talent, UFC washouts or no, to help build up your brand. Lavar and Kongo are great 3 or 4 fight pick ups, who will give you another year or two to bring younger guys up.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    there is nothing wrong with signing the available talent, UFC washouts or no, to help build up your brand. Lavar and Kongo are great 3 or 4 fight pick ups, who will give you another year or two to bring younger guys up.
    I'm not sure anyone is saying they're a bad pick up. I agree they're good but Bellator's mantra, if you will, has been that they're not going to pick up any ex UFC fighters. Seems that has gone out the window.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

So nobody cares that somebody found their miniature dog with a spike through their head the day after they sued Rebney? Figured that might spark some interest...but what the hell do I know lol.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Lavar Johnson denies steroid use following UFC release: 'I was prescribed TRT by a doctor’
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/1/47...trt-doctor-mma

"What happened was basically I was on TRT, I just didn't disclose it to the athletic commission. It was my mistake. I was taking such little amounts; me and my doctor didn't think anything was going to pop up, like it's no big deal. I guess any time you're taking any kind of testosterone, it's going to show on the test. So that's basically what I got popped for. You know, if you take steroids they'll suspend you for a year. I wasn't taking steroids. I was prescribed [TRT] by a doctor. They suspended me for nine months, and I ended up showing them my prescription from my doctor and everything. They ended up reducing it to six months. That was it. Unfortunately, I got released from the UFC, and messed up the good opportunity. But Bellator, they believe in me, and they are going to give the opportunity and chance to showcase my skills."

Low testosterone? Seems legit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I would think Bellator signs guys like these for their guys to hopefully get bigs wins (KOs) over them and start building new names. While Tito vs Rampage is their biggest name matchup to draw in casual viewers, ultimately those two, Kongo, Lavar, and Fitch should be stepping stones for other guys to prove themselves against. I would hope Bellator isn't that naive into thinking these guys are to be their stars to lean their company on for legitimacy.
    Last edited by hass; 10-02-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Great fight! This is one I was really hoping to see in the UFC. Can't believe they didn't make it. Much better than Rampage/Tito.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information