Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Henderson on rematch with Vitor Belfort: 'Seems like he has some kicks now'

Should throw a poll in this thread, interesting split of predictions.

2. Default

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dan-henders...fight-night-32

Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort first fought at Pride 32 on Oct. 24, 2006 in a light heavyweight bout. Henderson defeated Belfort that night via unanimous decision. The two are now slated to meet again at UFC Fight Night 32 on Nov. 9 in Brazil.

In the seven years since their first fight, both fighters have remained relevant in the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. They’ve both competed for titles in the two weight classes, but came up short.

Henderson (29-10) has lost his last two outings and is determined to not lose three in a row.

“They’re all must-wins in my mind. Obviously, I don’t want to lose three in a row. I feel real confident about my training and my skills, and matching up well with Vitor,” Henderson recently told Fox Sports.
    Henderson’s last two opponents, Lyoto Machida and Rashad Evans, didn’t engage in the type of fight Henderson is accustomed to. There wasn’t the spirited exchanges Henderson likes, but he believes Belfort is the type of fighter that’s going to be willing to trade shots.
    “I’m excited to go out there and fight somebody that’s gonna bang with me. Vitor’s been around a long time. He’s very dangerous and he’s very quick,” he said. “Seems like he’s got some kicks now, so I guess that’s different than before. I’m excited to go out and fight him.”
    At 43 years old, Henderson’s fighting career is winding down, but he feels like he’s got a couple more years in the game.
    “I’ve got probably five or six fights (left),” he said when asked about retirement.
    Henderson was scheduled to fight for the light heavyweight title against champion Jon Jones at UFC 151, but was forced out of the bout due to a knee injury and hasn’t been able to get back to the top contender status. He’s not sure if he’ll be able to make another title run, but a win over Belfort would put him back in the title picture.
    “We’ll see,” he said about another title run. “I’m a little farther away from that than I’d like to be. I had two close fights that didn’t go my way, so I need to get right back in there.”
    In the rematch, Henderson plans to take the fight to Belfort.

“Make him work hard, staying in his face. Make sure he knows he’s in a fight,” he said were his keys to victory.

“I’m excited to go out there and bang with him.”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

My money is still on Hendo... though I'm not basing that on the way he ragdolled Vitor last time. He has the chin and scrapping ability to push Vitor like his last few oppents (save for Jones), just couldn't, and can control the clinch enough to make Vitor mentally collapse. Vitor has been on a hot streak, but when was the last time we saw him come back when he was behind? And don't say the Johnson fight... that was just a takedown.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    This fight will be very different from the first one.

I do not understand how is that Belfort (in roids) looked that bad in that fight. Maybe he had some problems in his personal life
    Not sure if serious....
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Vitor Belfort predicts 5 round UD over Dan Henderson in Nov
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...derson-in-Nov/
    "It’s a rematch, so it won’t taste differently," said Belfort recently. "It gives me more motivation. He’s a tough fighter, but I’ll be ready to dominate him for five rounds."

"That’s the type of fight that the fans will enjoy. It’s going to be intense. I have 14 weeks until the fight, and preparation requires dedication and sacrifice. I’ll focus on winning the fight. I’m preparing myself for a five-round intense fight. That’s the way I predict the fight going."

"My division is the 185 pounds, absolutely. I’m ranked there, but the Dan Henderson fight came in a good moment. He’s a fighter well ranked at 205, who has a fantastic history. But I’m not thinking about anything yet. My next mountain is Dan Henderson and that’s the mountain I want to climb. Dana White decides that. There’s a ranking, but I’m not worried about that. I’m only worried about beating Dan Henderson. The more victories I get, the highest I get."

I don't understand why Hendo is so kean on keeping it standing, when he can very easily get this fight to the ground and make it look like their first fight.. Hopefully Belfort comes to fight like his last few fights, he has looked unreal and Hendo....Not so much..
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    I don't understand why Hendo is so kean on keeping it standing, when he can very easily get this fight to the ground and make it look like their first fight.. Hopefully Belfort comes to fight like his last few fights, he has looked unreal and Hendo....Not so much..
    If Hendo had fought Bisping and Rockhold he would have looked unreal as well.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I think Hendo dominates him. Really where is Vitor better then Hendo? Are his hands that much better? Hendo more than held his own in close fights with Machida (outstruck him 54-28) and Evans who I would argue are better strikers than Vitor and overall better fighters than Vitor. Plus it looks like this fight is at 205 which is much more in Hendo's favor than Vitor's.

Also just because Hendo has not been using his wrestling that often lately doesn't mean he can't pull that card out. Trust me he is watching that Jones v. Vitor fight and seeing just how bad Vitor's takedown defense is. This fight will look a lot like Vitor v. Couture III, Hendo just beats him up everywhere and the ref pulls him off in the 4th.
    Speed, it's all about the speed, man. That's what Lyoto had on Hendo. Hendo slowed down unfortunately, but still, it's not a good idea to stand toe to toe with old Hendo. You could be right about the wrestling. I think that's Hendo's best bet if it gets into the later rounds (if he doesn't have to struggle with the takedowns).

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I think Hendo dominates him. Really where is Vitor better then Hendo? Are his hands that much better? Hendo more than held his own in close fights with Machida (outstruck him 54-28) and Evans who I would argue are better strikers than Vitor and overall better fighters than Vitor. Plus it looks like this fight is at 205 which is much more in Hendo's favor than Vitor's.

Also just because Hendo has not been using his wrestling that often lately doesn't mean he can't pull that card out. Trust me he is watching that Jones v. Vitor fight and seeing just how bad Vitor's takedown defense is. This fight will look a lot like Vitor v. Couture III, Hendo just beats him up everywhere and the ref pulls him off in the 4th.
    I could agree with everything except the part about Rashad being a better striker, no way he's better than Vitor IMHO. Since they're teamates I guess we'll never know, but I'd love to see those sparring sessions.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Exactly, if Hendo uses his wrestling, he wins. Standing and banging with Vitor is 50-50, he might land the H-Bomb but Vitor might tag him too.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Thread Information